Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Overpair On a 3-Flush Board: Should I Ship to Protect?

Old
Overpair On a 3-Flush Board: Should I Ship to Protect? - Mon Feb 21, 2011, 09:03 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
My reason for posting this hand is a little unusual (and I summarize it better at the bottom). Post any comments/analysis/criticism/advice/etc. you feel like posting about this situation in particular (because I probably played it wrong), but I'm curious if, in a deeper stack scenario, where the blinds are the same, but the stacks are 10 or 100 times deeper, would shipping on the flop be good, or bad?

Here's what I have on this specific scenario:

I had joined this table about five minutes prior. I had no reads on the villain in this hand, although they had raised their button 100% of the time so far (twice). I was dealt a high pair, and got a standard UTG 3x bet, so I minraised just to isolate the initial raiser without driving them out. Action folded to the opener, who called.

The flop came diamond diamond diamond, and the opener made a half-pot bet. I wanted to price them out of a flush draw, but I didn't consider that they would reship (which seems like the correct play for anyone with at least one strong diamond). I was pretty happy to call, because there wasn't a lot I was actually losing to unless another diamond hit.

What came to mind after the hand though, was this: If my opponent had one good diamond, then they could reship with pretty decent equity. If the stacks were really deep, and we both had 1000 BB to start though, this is also true, and the only way to really price out my opponent in my spot would be to ship all 1000 of my BB on the flop (and hope they don't have two pair+). Does this make sense, or would another line (like bet/folding) be more prudent in this scenario?

Basically, I have two big questions in this post: 1) What would the best action have been in this scenario? and 2) What influence does depth of stack sizes have in determining the optimal course of action? Once again, thanks for all who post.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($5.12)
Panicky (MP) ($3.65)
Button ($4.83)
SB ($5.29)
BB ($12.62)

Preflop: Panicky is MP with A, A
UTG bets $0.15, Panicky raises to $0.25, 3 folds, UTG calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.57) 6, K, 8 (2 players)
UTG bets $0.30, Panicky raises to $1.05, UTG raises to $4.87 (All-In), Panicky calls $2.35 (All-In)

Turn: ($7.37) 9 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($7.37) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $7.37 | Rake: $0.36

Old
? - Mon Feb 21, 2011, 10:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I dont think im ever folding there- but i look at it this way- villain made a half pot bet on the 3 flush board- from utg- after a standard raise so im puttin him on a range like AK o KQ KQs , maybe a small to mid pp, etc-- i might have only called the there- so as not to re-open the betting-and re evaluate on turn- raising allows him to come over top- which he did- repping the the flush- or semi- bluffing with the flush draw- and puts you under pressure- if i had my druthers- i'd rather be putting the pressure on the villain- by either jamming on the flop-- or calling the flop bet and jammin on any turn card thats not a diamond- jmo-- gl monk..

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 10:25 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I'm surprised again that I forgot to even consider that avenue. I could have just flatted, then decided what to do on the turn. Shipping on the flop seems like a pretty bad play now, since only made hands would be calling, and there's not a lot in the pot anyway, but I keep getting confused about the approaches I should take when my opponent's range is polarized between a hand that really beats me and a hand that really doesn't. If they have the made hand, then shipping is just giving chips away, but if they don't have it, they shouldn't be calling with a draw, so I'm basically stealing what's in the pot now.

Just flatting the flop bet might be the best action to take, but the issue is even more confusing on the turn then, because I'm still facing a hand where I'm either way ahead or way behind, with no new information. My opponent might have bet top pair or a draw, which I'm beating, or they might have been betting a made flush, which I'm not.

I'm confused again.

Old
?? - Mon Feb 21, 2011, 10:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
its a tough spot 4 sure- is why i would like to be the one putting the pressure to oppenent- as played tho- ima not folding- if ure beat- well - thats poker--and when in doubt- back to poker basics- 2 reasons to bet at a pot- 1- to protect ure hand and 2- to bloat the pot 4 max value-

Last edited by monkeyskunk4; Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 11:03 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com