Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Flopped Trips in BB

Old
Flopped Trips in BB - Mon Feb 21, 2011, 09:52 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Need some advice on the best way to have played this hand.

I had recently been moved to a new table, so I did not have many reads. The table seemed to be pretty loose, with a lot of limping and some raising almost every hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 2.75 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO (t3790)
Button (t1650)
SB (t5550)
Hero (BB) (t2690)
UTG (t6236)
UTG+1 (t4134)
MP1 (t5715)
MP2 (t2885)
MP3 (t2660)

Hero's M: 35.87

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6, 7
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t50, 4 folds, Button calls t50, SB calls t25, Hero checks

Flop: (t200) 7, 7, 4 (4 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t100, UTG+1 calls t100, Button calls t100, 1 fold

Turn: (t500) 2 (3 players)
Hero bets t300, UTG+1 calls t300, Button calls t300

River: (t1400) 5 (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets t3684 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls t2240 (All-In)

Total pot: t5880

I was BB and got trips on the flop. I wanted to make sure I priced out the flush draws, so I bet half the pot on the flop, and 3/5 on the turn. The river completed the 3 spades and possibly some straight draws, so I checked with the intent to call if someone else bet for my showdown value. I just did not want to get raised.

The villain ships, which was a bit of an overbet. That made me suspicious because I figured a flush would want to get maximum value, not force everyone to fold.

Should I have played differently? My thought is that, with 3 players, I should have bet the pot on the flop and possibly the turn to help reduce the pot odds if there are multiple callers. Or maybe I should have just folded to the overbet on the river, especially with no good reads on the villain.

Old
?? - Mon Feb 21, 2011, 11:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
horrible spot as it is limped to you- no info on others-- ida prob played same as you- cept if i was planning on callig all the way down- ida shuvved it all in on the flop--- jmo--gl monk..

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 11:48 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
i think u gotta let this kind of hand go.

u played it like u had the 7, and then the villain caught up, and put u on a 7 that a lot of players have trouble folding so shippin it wasnt a bad play for the flush.

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 01:01 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I'm trying to improve my game, and one of the ways I'm doing this is replying to more HA posts.. So here's my take on things:

I think your best option here, especially if you're trying to discourage any flush draws, is to OB the pot here for three reasons:

--One is to price out any flush draws which, wiith the blinds being so small you may just get a flush-draw call here which leads to my second reason for the OB;
--If you do get a caller on the draw you've just increased the size of the pot and can likely take the pot down on the turn w/ the proper sizes bet seeing as how none of the other possible nine spades fell;
--And thirdly, youre OB on the flop is likely to give you quite a bit of information in terms of any callers' holdings, especially considering your being OOP.. With trips typically being a scary situation holding such a small kicker, your OB here and bet into the turn may end up saving you your stack on the river which, judging by the villian's line, is likely the case..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com