Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Flopped Set Turns Tricky.. Suggestions..?

Old
Flopped Set Turns Tricky.. Suggestions..? - Wed Feb 23, 2011, 05:50 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I have been playing the Uber Micro-stakes with the goal of working on a few areas of my game at a low financial risk.. This particular table loosened up quite a bit after a period of limited action.. I believe one of the primary reasons for the increased action was the table became 'flopped-set' happy and pairs of any ranking were being played frequently.. Shortly before this i was able to catch some action on a hand that re-vitalized my stack after an ugly suck-out..

My stance on this particular hand was following the norm of my cash ring-game play: Tight-Aggressive w/ the occasional curve-ball.. I played made hands strongly, bluffed when it made sense, bet for value/information et cetera.. To be honest, I'm very happy with my cash ring-game play lately; it actually makes sense.. Anyway, another story for another day..

I made a value bet on the flop as the board produced little fear in relation to the villian's range.. The villian's raise (Edit: should read, The villian's BET) on the flop made me salivate as I had a strong feeling that I was way ahead here.. My flopped set became tricky on the turn, as the title implies, and I made the decision I was going to bet my opponent all in, or produce a fold and take the pot down right there.. The villian's raise on the turn had little effect on my play at this point as I knew before I bet the turn card that I was in it for the long-haul.. My question lies in whether or not it was a smart decision to play this hand the way that I did, or if there is some alternate line I could (read: should) have taken.. Please include an explaination with why you would've played this hand differently, if, in fact, you would have played it any differently..

The results were quite interesting, but it neither affirms nor dis-courages my actions in the future..

Thanks for the help..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (7 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

http://[img]http://www.flopturnriver....gif[/img]

SB ($0.78)
BB ($0.69)
UTG ($1.98)
MP1 ($2.23)
MP2 ($1.53)
CO ($1.09)
Hero (Button) ($1.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6, 6
4 folds, Hero bets $0.05, 1 fold, BB raises to $0.10, Hero calls $0.05

Flop: ($0.21) 6, 9, 7 (2 players)
BB bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.20, BB calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.61) 5 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.20, BB raises to $0.39 (All-In), Hero calls $0.19

Last edited by ClubbedNuts; Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 01:49 AM..

Old
Wed Feb 23, 2011, 11:31 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I've played those tables some and the range for people at them that I've seen is ATC.

I'd have been calling their all-in on the turn to and if they did hit the straight (you've got 4 outs for a boat and 3 outs for a chop) and hoping they don't have a bigger set.
Best case scenario would be them having a big pair, in which case, they then have 2 outs to win and 4 for a chop.

I do totally agree with you that after the flop, you're priced into it and gotta go.

Old
Wed Feb 23, 2011, 03:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Any stats or reads on the villain?

Your price to set mine pre is marginal vs. his stack, good enough I suppose, you didn't mention considering this though in your thought process, but automatically calling 3b's with small pairs is a leak, it's not always going to be profitable to do so. Against a bad micro player getting 15-1 implied it should be fine.

Not really following what you mean by you bet the flop and salivated when he raised. As I read the history HE bet the flop and YOU raised. I would just put him in right on the flop tbh rather than min-raise. There are a lot of scary cards that can come off which will discourage him from putting his last .40c in on the turn, so just get his money in on the flop imo.

I agree as played you can't fold the turn.

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 02:04 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
[Not really following what you mean by you bet the flop and salivated when he raised. As I read the history HE bet the flop and YOU raised. I would just put him in right on the flop tbh rather than min-raise. There are a lot of scary cards that can come off which will discourage him from putting his last .40c in on the turn, so just get his money in on the flop imo.

I agree as played you can't fold the turn.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the confusion there, sir.. I made the correction to read properly..

In regard to your suggestion to put the villian in on the flop, might a larger raise here dissuade any further action on his part, or is my hand disguised well enough to prompt him to stack-off in return; which was my impetus for the min-raise to begin with..? I'd witnessed villian attempt a re-raise like this earlier w/ air and hoped to elicit the same here..

In any event, thank you both for the input.. As always, it's greatly appreciated..!

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 02:18 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
[QUOTE=TheLangolier;255287]Any stats or reads on the villain?

Your price to set mine pre is marginal vs. his stack, good enough I suppose, you didn't mention considering this though in your thought process, but automatically calling 3b's with small pairs is a leak, it's not always going to be profitable to do so. Against a bad micro player getting 15-1 implied it should be fine.

Huh..? Gawd, I must be missing out on tons of useful info out there.. Price to set-mine vs stack size..?

I am in agreement w/ your suggestion of calling a 3-bet in a majority of circumstances, but your assessment of implied odds against a poor micro-er weighed heavily into my decision.. For the most part, I'd be hard pressed to call in this situation..

Thanks again for the help..!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com