Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

How do YOU label players when playing online?

Old
How do YOU label players when playing online? - Wed Feb 23, 2011, 09:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
the style of each individual players play

how do you label them? by what title?

for example...

Tight Aggressive
Loose Aggressive-Bluff with nothing a lot
Passive Calling Stations

i dunno

Donkey, Shark, Callingstation etc...

how do YOU label players?

Old
?? - Wed Feb 23, 2011, 11:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
in mtts - i OPR them- and note their itm %-- thats the best read you can get --imo-- roi means nuthin if their average buy in is all over the map-

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:09 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskunk4 View Post
in mtts - i OPR them- and note their itm %-- thats the best read you can get --imo-- roi means nuthin if their average buy in is all over the map-
i've rarely came across a person with a high ITM as a great player... high ITM makes me think that the player is nitty and easily folds

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:14 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.duce View Post
i've rarely came across a person with a high ITM as a great player... high ITM makes me think that the player is nitty and easily folds
what about a high ITM that has a + ROI... there are a few out there.

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:16 AM
(#5)
that's the rare type i'm talking about

Old
. - Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:52 AM
(#6)
I'm ITM 24% with 8% ROI, does that count?? Please define this a little more.

Good luck!!

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 01:11 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
i actually am looking for more of concrete detailed explanation for terms like... fish, bomb, shark, callingstation etc you know like... meh i guess yeah i go on OPR to check out players out all the time so :S

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 01:15 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
ROI................... im at -%.... keep in mind i started around last year april(first time playing online) but around like... last summer! so im a NOOOOOOOOOOOOOB

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 03:24 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
I am a hippie at heart, so I just label everyone with a color, and those colors have meaning to me....course I also takenotes like if they like to play weak aces, what i see em go all in with, do they bluff,will they chase backdoor flushes, just all kinds of stuff.

I also note attitudes, how they seem normally,so if the are acting different I can consider that, things they say, i write little novels on every person I ever sit down to table with.

Now in the PSO my colors mean something entirely different.

When a tourney starts,if someone doesnot already have a colored ring, then i make the note "PSO" and I give them a yellow ring. Course I still make extensive notes on how they play and all that.

Now, at first break, be I at the same table, or not, anyone that isthere, at that table now gets a green ring. Course I am still keeping my notes.

Second break rolls around and those people get a cyan ring, and if ya go ITM then ya get a dark blue ring..... now after that point I watch you play and make notes and such like that and if i feel or think you are really good then you get that dark purple/blue ring... and for those few times I get to final table... which I do from time to time...

Well anyone there gets that pretty purple ring, the one I have, becuaseI have been to final tables.

Now a red ring.... thats the highest one I use.... and that ring is for winners... 1st place finishers in PSO.

Now I do have that last color... orange... well that color is my idiot color. If you er been an idiot tome or around me at table, if you have ever called me a name, called someone else a name, or just been a complete ass, or if ever caht mute you...

YOU ARE ORANGE. and of course i still take notes on you.

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 03:26 AM
(#10)
Since: May 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.duce View Post
Looks like you got me tagged good, john

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
what about a high ITM that has a + ROI... there are a few out there.
According to OPR I'm one of those players; ITM=26%, ROI=51%. But I still suck here in PSO!!

My favorite two tags use to be "DONK - ANY 2 WILL DO" or "DONK - ANY 2 SUITED WILL DO" but I have since replaced them with the player's rank if lower than 5000 the previos month.

I will also tag a person if they habitually limp in with great hands. someone to watch out for if you're planning to see that flop with your T9s.

Loose/pass.-pass. players I don't bother to tag as most players are just that in PSO.

Last edited by HoldThisPete; Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 03:35 AM..

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 06:29 AM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
a lot of things i don't take notes for
i need improvment in my reading ability so i let those things show for themselves
another reason to do this is because players will change at stages or just get better with time and pratice
i don't take any notes just seems like a lot of work and my memory is still working
but i will color code people and if i find something odd with your play then you could have a small note
i'm also considering changing my notes but still not sure if i want to take on the task
so my labels for the various colors are

light blue = hobbo / corral
i created this before home games and i was interested in joining because these players were good solid players for the most part and social which i am fond of too many tables are just quiet

yellow = decent
any player that shows a good understanding of poker and show an ability to play

green = good
this is reserved for those players that can read opponents, place hands, value pots and understand equity

gray = weak
this is for players who don't show the types of attributes listed above and just habitual bad play

brown = donk
players who just shove constantly pre-flop

purple = bully
players who chip up then small ball to see more flops with LAG play

red = a***oles
this is a special list for players who cuss and insult others when they lose
i like to suck them out when i can to put them further on tilt
it is also my color " biggest a***ole in the PSO" is noted

blue = virginia players / local
when pokerstars listed towns/cities i had found some new friends who lived nearby and noted them in hopes of playing live together
with home games and no longer able to find players like this this color along with light blue should be changed which would mean a whole reworking of my labels and notes

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 05:46 PM
(#12)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
How do I change the color of the note rings? I have to be over looking it somewhere.

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 05:54 PM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by will26354 View Post
How do I change the color of the note rings? I have to be over looking it somewhere.
with a sharpie pen no if you click the little box beside the persons name... after you double click you can change the colors

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 05:59 PM
(#14)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
thanks this will make it alot easier to take notes.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com