Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Mail-bag - Question - here's a hand - re: Pot Odds? or, did I "do" the right thing?

Old
Question
Mail-bag - Question - here's a hand - re: Pot Odds? or, did I "do" the right thing? - Wed Feb 23, 2011, 11:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Hi, Dave - or any..

This sort of hand.. happens more often than I'd care - I end up second-guessing myself, afterwards.

I guess my rationale for folding was.. that it was "expensive" to stay in, and both the other two players in the hand, had many more chips than I did. Of course, you will see from the flop that I would have done quite well.

Is this an instance of my having made the right decision ..because... of.. ? the "odds"

I needed to call 185 chips, and I .. just didn't feel that that was a wise way to spend chips..

(and how do we/I calculate those before the flop, anyhow... and, shouldn't I assume that .. their hands are pretty much better than what I have, pre-flop?

So, maybe it comes down to.. UNTIL I have a chip-stack, I shouldn't be foraging so far-afield?!?

Thanks for any reflections you may have on this.

Josh
TC1228

PokerStars Game #58184157805: Tournament #357909814, 10FPP Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2011/02/23 20:47:20 MT [2011/02/23 22:47:20 ET]
Table '357909814 237' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: tc1228 (1520 in chips)
Seat 2: Weinholder (215 in chips)
Seat 3: cardpl (1470 in chips)
Seat 4: PaddyS (3790 in chips)
Seat 5: $m@tematik$ (1460 in chips)
Seat 6: freerade xxx (1470 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 7: Z4nn (3595 in chips)
Seat 9: HOTHEAD416$ (1480 in chips)
tc1228: posts small blind 15
Weinholder: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to tc1228 [4h 7h]
cardpl: folds
PaddyS: calls 30
$m@tematik$: folds
freerade xxx: folds
Z4nn: calls 30
HOTHEAD416$: folds
Roboat_20 is connected
tc1228: calls 15
Weinholder: raises 185 to 215 and is all-in
PaddyS: calls 185
Z4nn: calls 185
tc1228: folds
*** FLOP *** [7c 4s 9c]
PaddyS: checks
Z4nn: checks
*** TURN *** [7c 4s 9c] [7d]
Z4nn: checks
*** RIVER *** [7c 4s 9c 7d] [Td]
Z4nn: folds
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Weinholder: shows [Qd 8d] (a pair of Sevens)
PaddyS: shows [2d Kd] (a pair of Sevens - King kicker)
PaddyS collected 675 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 675 | Rake 0
Board [7c 4s 9c 7d Td]
Seat 1: tc1228 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: Weinholder (big blind) showed [Qd 8d] and lost with a pair of Sevens
Seat 3: cardpl folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: PaddyS showed [2d Kd] and won (675) with a pair of Sevens
Seat 5: $m@tematik$ folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: freerade xxx folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Z4nn folded on the River
Seat 9: HOTHEAD416$ (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Old
?? - Wed Feb 23, 2011, 11:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
hey josh-- sounds silly- but forget what you fold- no way never ever are you calling there- to take a pge from the lessons Dave deals out- results can NOT be the motivation for any play-if taken as a singular act- in this case -7,4 in the sb- facing a raise is an insta fold at this stage of a tournament-yes you had great odds to call and were last to act- but- imo bleeding off almost 16% of your stack is silly-- proper fold man-- even though you would have chipped up nicely-- at many stages in a tournament, that could have been a great opportunity- just not at this time-- just my opinion-- gl--monk...

Old
. - Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:45 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
There's always gonna be bad hands that you fold, and you woulda had the nuts. Concentrate on making the right decision for the particular situation, and forget how the cards come. You made the right decision, forget it and move on.

Good luck!!

Old
re: Decision about that hand! - Thu Feb 24, 2011, 10:08 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Hi, Monkey and Joy;

I woke, logged in, and got your answers! Thank you! What a great way to start off my day!

I knew that! (No - I didn't - I just like saying it - and now I feel better that I acted the way I did - and that you helped by confirming it!)

Thanks,

Josh
TC1228

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 10:17 AM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
One time I folded 72o before the flop, and the flop came 227! Conclusion: I should be seeing the flop with 72o, I can flop a full house.

-This message was brought to you by the citizens for results oriented thinking.

Old
Lightbulb
Fringe Benefits - Thu Oct 24, 2013, 01:53 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
WhiteStar
I was scrolling thru and this post has really helped me to discuss a similar hand with one of my local poker buddies going thru similar mental gymnastics and getting too wrapped up in a hand from weeks ago that was eating at him. I miss seeing your icons at the Skill league tourneys ,( Hopefully they open up for USA players ) but it was good to see you guys still at your Posts, thanks for helping me to calm his mind and pull him off of Tilt with your well enunciated observations to supplement my Opinion and Theoretical position with these great bits of Wisdom, Lore, and Expert Insight...

Old
poker calculaters - Thu Oct 24, 2013, 11:32 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
does any 1 know how poker hud or calculator works cause i have heard alot using them and how can i get one??

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 12:25 PM
(#8)
** thread moved to Poker Education & Beginners Questions **

Hi clairelou566,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum
and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club, and information on how to join the club
may be found HERE.

Hope to see you there!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 06:01 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairelou566 View Post
does any 1 know how poker hud or calculator works cause i have heard alot using them and how can i get one??
Hi clairelou566,

HUDs are basically programs that you can get that will give you all kinds of stats as you play. The two most popular being Poker Tracker and Hold'em Manager (both of which offer free trials). If you want to find out a little more about them just type their names or 'Poker HUD' into a search engine and you'll find them easily. Also if you want any advice or reviews/opinons from other members perhaps check out our Poker Software & Hardware forum.

Cheers,

Chris

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 08:37 PM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2013
BronzeStar
Last month I folded pocket Jacks from the BB after the UTG player raised then someone in MP called then the Button shoved all in with 74bb, I folded my jacks not wanting to risk my tourney life in the first level with jacks, the UTG player also folded but the MP player called, guess what came on the flop, Yep the other two jacks.
It was sick not because I folded, I think it was the right decision, but that someone decided to shove 74bb with AK and someone else to call off about 74bb with 66, if the button hadn't of overplayed his AK I may off still been able to play my Jacks.

Sometimes you'll be forced to fold a playable hand and then the flop comes and you would off had the nuts or you fold junk and then flop the nuts, it happens, its all about making the right decisions with the info you have, not the outcomes.
Good luck at the tables

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com