Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Proper Line w/ Flopped Set K's..?

Old
Proper Line w/ Flopped Set K's..? - Thu Feb 24, 2011, 04:40 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I'm again seen playing the Uber-micros w/ the intention of practicing some fundamentals.. I was pretty much neck-deep in chum at this table and I hated to close up shop, but I needed some rest.. The villian was semi-new to the table; maybe five hands.. Based on the villian's pre-flop raise, I put him somewhere in the range of A-8s/A-To; maybe A-Qo, but not likely.. Having Cowboys, I knew it was necessary to act aggressively in order to take down the pot should the flop produce an A, which such being the case.. If I flatted, I figured it might be difficult to maintain a fair amount of fold equity should I choose to bet/raise post; all this being moot once the flop came down..

My question lies in whether or not I played this hand correctly in trying to get villian to stack-off post-flop.. I think it's fair to assume you are able to determine my success by the need for this post.. I would've liked to raise the flop, but I figured it was unlikely that villian would recognize this as an attempt to put him off his A-rag while I hold a K, so I decided to flat his c-bet.. In retrospect, I probably should've flatted the turn and jammed the river considering a flush-draw was unlikely based on the hand I put villian on pre-flop combined w/ his play on the flop..

Any input as to how I could've maximized value on this hand would be helpful.. Thanks in advance..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($3.79)
UTG ($2)
UTG+1 ($0.66)
MP1 ($1.59)
MP2 ($5)
MP3 ($3.02)
CO ($0.96)
Hero (Button) ($1.81)
SB ($0.74)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, K
2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, 2 folds, CO bets $0.06, Hero raises to $0.10, 3 folds, CO calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.25) K, 5, A (2 players)
CO bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.45) J (2 players)
CO bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.20

River: ($1.05) Q (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $0.46,

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 06:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I never recieved any replies regarding this hand and I'm a little disappointed as I feel playing a similar hand may lead to mistakes in the future.. It's a hairy situation to be in and would appreciate it if anybody has the opportunity to offer advice to take the time to do so..

Thanks again,
Clubbed

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 09:12 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
obvious straight on the river, but folding a set imho is a major leak, unless you have super spidey senses about villain.. just a cooler reload and move on after flop I am stacking off or making a much bigger bet...take it down now.... I have been killed at these levels slowplaying the nuts lol

Last edited by roomik17; Fri Mar 11, 2011 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: adding more thoughts

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 10:22 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
The one thing that I have learned at the micro stakes: BET YOUR STRONG HANDS!!

When he bets into the pot on the turn, I think there is a pretty good chance he has an ace.

3x his bet on the flop. If he calls and bets into you in that scary turn, jam.. as you still may be miles ahead but you don't want to see a river like that.

Of course if you get to the river and he checks after all your raises.. I would usually check behind, as you can't really call a re-raise jam from him profitably if you are relatively deep.

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 12:28 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by broahes View Post
The one thing that I have learned at the micro stakes: BET YOUR STRONG HANDS!!

When he bets into the pot on the turn, I think there is a pretty good chance he has an ace.

3x his bet on the flop. If he calls and bets into you in that scary turn, jam.. as you still may be miles ahead but you don't want to see a river like that.

Of course if you get to the river and he checks after all your raises.. I would usually check behind, as you can't really call a re-raise jam from him profitably if you are relatively deep.
You raise him on the flop, why not raise again on the turn?

4th straight card comes, and a guy min betting the whole way suddenly checks...

A bit suspicious. I think, based on certain reads, I either do what you did or I check behind.

I agree with broahes: the tme to get your value in was earlier.

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 02:55 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Preflop 3b is too small, should be around .15c to go.

Raise the flop. A player donking into the preflop 3 bettor usually has a weakish ace on this board. On this depth of money I would make it a small raise, make it look like a marginal made hand yourself that's trying to "see where you're at" (which is the way many players at this level think, and he'll assume you do too). You can almost click it back here. It builds the pot and gives him room to spaz the flop thinking you can still fold.

If you raise the flop, turn action is all in on this depth of money, unless he spazzed it in on the flop already.

As played, check down the river. What worse hands can call you? None once the action killer 4straight card comes. And the only better hand that isn't the nut straight (AAA) isn't folding.

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 04:23 PM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2007
Well, I must be learning something because my first thought was that your preflop raise was not big enough before reading Dave's reply. I would have raised 3X to 18cents.

I put the villian on A 10 with the river giving him the straight so would have hammered the turn. You can see that I am still trying to work on the equity side of things.

The reality is that he probably had AA and that would have been a stupid move.

TC

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 06:12 PM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
You raise him on the flop, why not raise again on the turn?

4th straight card comes, and a guy min betting the whole way suddenly checks...

A bit suspicious. I think, based on certain reads, I either do what you did or I check behind.

I agree with broahes: the tme to get your value in was earlier.
If you were asking me why not reraise on the turn too, that's actually what I said, if he bets into you again, jam it, if he checks, bet the pot.

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 09:55 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by broahes View Post
If you were asking me why not reraise on the turn too, that's actually what I said, if he bets into you again, jam it, if he checks, bet the pot.
Nope. Was asking OP.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com