Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Analysis on my hand sought???

Old
Analysis on my hand sought??? - Thu Feb 24, 2011, 11:06 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
Can anyone give me any advice on how i played this hand? Did i play it correctly? Should i have folded it anywhere? The guy who lost the hand gave me some grief on how i played it. Not sure if he was right or whether he was being a complete knob about the whole thing.

Edit - I am dealt Tc Ac (sorry ClubbedNuts)

Anyway, the UTG+1 makes a small raise, it folds round to me in the BB, and giving his likely range, i just call. The flop comes down Qc 9c Th, and i catch mid-pair, fearing he has an overpair, i put in a small c-bet tester, and the UTG+1 calls. The Jd now hits on the turn, i raise it thinking he hasn't got the overpair, for which he then jams it over me with a 1500 bet. Now i am thinking he has got to be holding a JK or JA. At this point i wasn't sure to fold or not. With a flush draw on the cards, i felt i had to call. Then the 2c hits on the river, i've hit the nuts and jam all-in, for which the UTG+1 calls and the rest is history.

I am new to poker, but i'm reading the books, watching the vids, playing and reviewing the hands.

Thanks in advance.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 150/300 Blinds 25 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB (t4033)
UTG (t9085)
UTG+1 (t8975)
MP1 (t4905)
MP2 (t2045)
MP3 (t8332)
CO (t5016)
Button (t1110)
SB (t2785)

BB's M: 5.97

Preflop:
1 fold, UTG+1 bets t600, 6 folds, BB calls t300

Flop: (t1575) Q, 9, 10 (2 players)
BB bets t600, UTG+1 calls t600

Turn: (t2775) J (2 players)
BB bets t900, UTG+1 raises to t1800, BB calls t900

River: (t6375) 2 (2 players)
BB bets t1008 (All-In), UTG+1 calls t1008

Total pot: t8391

Last edited by scotty200480; Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 02:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Hey, scotty;

I'm still some-what of a noob at Poker, but here's my take on things:

First off, it's difficult to offer a whole lot of feedback as I have no idea what you're holding other than a [Ts].. It would be helpful if you're able to disclose the other hole card.. However, let's assume for the sake of argument that, and judging by your calling a raise from villian UTG+1, you're holding an [As] as well.. I think it's fair to say that your bet on the flop makes sense considering the facts.. However, I am mildly concerned that your bet on the flop amounts to ~17% of your remaining stack, which isn't necessarily bad considering you have an OC and you're paired to the board with an implied double-up should you convert on either of your re-draws, and villian likely on little more than a draw as well.. But may still be an area for thought..

What's more concerning to me is your willingness to commit nearly 1/3 of your remaining stack on the turn w/ four to a str while still re-drawing to a marginal pair, considering 3 three OCs present, only to flat the raise.. At this point, you've committed 75% of your stack on a re-draw for the best hand.. IMO, you went at this a bit poorly in terms of your betting.. To me it screams Semi-bluff and I'd likely raise your turn bet as well even if holding only K-J.. It seems more likely that villian is holding a pair of J's/K-Q, possibly even Big Slick..

I wish I could be more insightful in terms of pot odds, but I'm still in the learning process.. If Dave has the time, I'm sure he'd be willing to bring some of his knowledge to the table.. Anyway, hope this helps a little..

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 05:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
(Apologies for the mess up in terms of replay of the hand, i've now re-edited it below).

Many thanks ClubbedNuts, you've made some interesting points, especially in terms of the bet sizing. If you were in my shoes, how would you have sized the bets? What happens if the Villain still had Re-raised the turn, would you have called or folded?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 150/300 Blinds 25 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Hero (BB) (t4033)
UTG (t9085)
UTG+1 (t8975)
MP1 (t4905)
MP2 (t2045)
MP3 (t8332)
CO (t5016)
Button (t1110)
SB (t2785)

Hero's M: 5.97

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 10
1 fold, UTG+1 bets t600, 6 folds, Hero calls t300

Flop: (t1575) Q, 9, 10 (2 players)
Hero bets t600, UTG+1 calls t600

Turn: (t2775) J (2 players)
Hero bets t900, UTG+1 raises to t1800, Hero calls t900

River: (t6375) 2 (2 players)
Hero bets t1008 (All-In), UTG+1 calls t1008

Total pot: t8391

Results:
Hero had A, 10 (flush, Ace high).
UTG+1 had J, K (straight, King high).
Outcome: t8391 returned to Hero

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com