Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

I propose a sticky memo for newb's

Old
I propose a sticky memo for newb's - Thu Feb 24, 2011, 04:48 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
We should have a memo posted that is mandatory for every newb to read before they can cry in the forums.

the memo would contain some of the following:

yes there are donks here.

unfortunately your AA will sometimes lose to 22.

unfortunately your AK is not always the best hand, is definitely NOT guaranteed to win and will sometimes lose to J9 or worse.

whats makes this a skill league is that it is for one to learn to better their own poker skills. One major skill is reading other players, how they play, and how you should subsequently play accordingly. If you think because you raised preflop 4bb with AK so you therefore are guranteed to win the hand, you are sadly mistaken and dont come crying in the forums when someone reraises you all in and beats you on the river with quad 3's. suck it up and get back out there.

theres no crying in baseball and theres no crying in poker either...

play the cards you feel are the best and pick your spots wisely and try your best and dont give up...

The object of poker isnt necessarily having the best hand but accumulating chips.
and probably most important of all; having skill doesnt always mean winning the hand or having the best hand but being able to fold a great hand because you can see it is going to lose...sometimes the best thing you can do in poker is to fold. just like mr kenny rogers said "you got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, and know when to run"

with that said, best of luck and remember NO CRYING!

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Great post Verd and a valiant effort.

If I may add tho...............

Even were a sticky memo to come to pass and even were it to be made required reading...........

Chances of the crying to stop? < than chances of unicorns being real or Pres winning the league.

( Of the 3 BTW I would place MY money on unicorns being real).

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 05:26 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Do you only bet on certainties Moxie ?

Just sayin'

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 05:41 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post

Even were a sticky memo to come to pass and even were it to be made required reading...........

Chances of the crying to stop? < than chances of unicorns being real or Pres winning the league.

well I know for a fact that unicorns are real and I know this cause my sister has a couple...as for pres winning the league?? idk hes making a climb...which I am currently at my league best ever...was actually on the first page for a few hours...

Pres winning??? possible...
unicorns existing? they do. (my sis has a couple)
crying in the pso? well i guess its just always gonna be...

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:33 PM
(#5)
Well I found my ten foot pole so I guess I'll touch it.
The problem with this verd...most don't visit the forums at all.
If everyone just remembers that it's a "school," full of new players and freeroll junkies, then it might save a lot of stress and Tylenol.

It is a free opportunity to make cash and seriously learn some good things from each other and the league.
One thing... people here really like to jump on any complaints. Me, I don't mind them so much as they're commonplace, but I do think a complaint should be accompanied by specifics...whether it's hand analysis..tourney strategy..chip stack management..something, just not the generic "this league stinks." What is accomplished there? Nothing..except people jumping on the op or jumpin' on the band wagon.
I try to let new players know that they will experience ups and downs in this game, no matter what the stakes, but if we try to be patient, learning as we go, we will see positive results if we're getting better.
You'll not see me disagree w/ very much info that anyone gives to new players as I think the members here are great and have a lot to offer... so please everyone..if you have the opportunity to educate new players...just do it. (royalties to Nike) And if you talk to anyone who doesn't visit the forums.. direct them here. Y'all do a great job with helping each other out and new players need it more than anyone.
Best o' luck everyone!

Old
ohh nooooooooo - Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:44 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post

unicorns not real? what is next? no poker gods?
but it is a great idea. Maybe add a little section on sportsmanship and the skill of losing with dignity intact. It is ok to say nh to a bad beat, even if you are cussing under your breath. Good luck all and have a good one!! Lasthippie

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:52 PM
(#7)
Deleted user
@Dan
You remember what the forum wasl like in July,but a few members where not around.
We had people with hidden agendas schilling products or other sites and this place was seen
as easy picking by scammers.So a few of us decided to individually call these people out and expose them for what they where.
Lets face it a lot of the members have grown a lot since those days and no longer have to be looked out for,but we still get new members daily that will read the forum for the first time.If they see Pokers bleep in the first 3 or 4 posts they might think this is a proper way to go about things.

I know people get sick of me getting in to flame wars but most of the time it is less personal than you think and more about the member misleading people.If the mods had more power,we wouldnt have to police our selves.

Seems like the only things that get stickied are promotions that we are hit with any ways when we sign in or check are email.

Dan you do a great job and dont take anything I said as a personal attack,it is nothing close.
Just thought I should say it in case I dont come off the way I wanted to with this post.

Last edited by Deleted user; Fri Feb 25, 2011 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: forgot a very important letter on a word

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 02:04 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:

I know people get sick of me getting in to flame wars but most of the time it is less personal than you think and more about the member misleading people.If the mods had more power,we wouldnt have to police our selves.
Do You Not Think The Mods Throw Their Power Around Willy Nilly,They Are Worse Than The Gestapo.The Forum Is Becoming Boring And Predictable.The Mods Are Taking The Characters Away And That Is A Sorry State For The Forum.

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 02:33 PM
(#9)
Dirty, you know I always appreciate what you bring to the community so of course, no offense taken. When I took this position, I made it clear that any and all advice on how to do it properly will always be appreciated and it is not seen as an affront to me.
With that, I would like to respond to this a little better, but right now I will be busy until after 5 this afternoon.
What I'd like is to have any info that anyone would like to see in a sticky to new members, sent to me in a pm...no forum...just a pm.
I will review and take all input into consideration and I will do this. I will do my best to put this together, then I will put it in a thread for feedback from anyone who wishes to contribute. Once I feel we have a good opening letter, than I will redo it and get it stickied.
I will set a goal of the end of next week to have this finalized.
Please try to keep the Pm's as brief as possible.
Thanks everyone,
Dan

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 03:05 PM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonarmy1566 View Post
Do You Not Think The Mods Throw Their Power Around Willy Nilly,They Are Worse Than The Gestapo.The Forum Is Becoming Boring And Predictable.The Mods Are Taking The Characters Away And That Is A Sorry State For The Forum.
By "characters" you must mean pointless forum trolls and people that want to whine about the mods and the RNG constantly... Yeah, we all need MORE of that around here, it'll really keep things from "becoming boring and predictable." Ugh.

@Dan, I think in whatever memo you send out to new members you should add a line assuring them that PStars is totally rigged to help _______ (insert: short stack, big stack, seat #5, the guy in the pimp suit...) It's best that people get that info up front.

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 06:16 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
Dirty, you know I always appreciate what you bring to the community so of course, no offense taken. When I took this position, I made it clear that any and all advice on how to do it properly will always be appreciated and it is not seen as an affront to me.
With that, I would like to respond to this a little better, but right now I will be busy until after 5 this afternoon.
What I'd like is to have any info that anyone would like to see in a sticky to new members, sent to me in a pm...no forum...just a pm.
I will review and take all input into consideration and I will do this. I will do my best to put this together, then I will put it in a thread for feedback from anyone who wishes to contribute. Once I feel we have a good opening letter, than I will redo it and get it stickied.
I will set a goal of the end of next week to have this finalized.
Please try to keep the Pm's as brief as possible.
Thanks everyone,
Dan
Well, Dan, I origionally startes to right this suggestion out of sarcasm and while I was writing started to think it could be a good thing actually, and as you are now putting something of the sort into the works, it's nice to know that certains ideas can abound.

Im sure you can concoct something both welcoming and reassuring for the newb's. I was once a newb, and had my doubts and concerns but the ones with the experience are the ones that should speak up...I didnt cry I just trying to tighten up my game and hopefully that is the effect this memo can have on the doubtful newbs.

Good day and good luck...

Last edited by VERDUGO77; Fri Feb 25, 2011 at 06:18 PM..

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 07:11 PM
(#12)
Lol, I gathered that verd. I was like you when I started in the pso.

It's something I've thought of for a while now. Obviously it won't be as detailed as your op, but if WE all put something together that is constructive, positive, and informing, it will indeed be a good thing.
Thanks to those already starting w/ the suggestions via pm.
MC ..... ....

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 11:13 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
Lol, I gathered that verd. I was like you when I started in the pso.

It's something I've thought of for a while now. Obviously it won't be as detailed as your op, but if WE all put something together that is constructive, positive, and informing, it will indeed be a good thing.
Thanks to those already starting w/ the suggestions via pm.
MC ..... ....
Here, Here!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com