Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Good play, bad beat?

Old
Good play, bad beat? - Fri Feb 25, 2011, 08:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I was playing my fav tournament, the $5.50 + R($25-Add on) $4K guaranteed. It's my favorite because it is full of donks who go all in on the most absurd hands. Anyway, I had tripled up with Queens against two Ace-rags and then I got shoved all in by the same donk and I figured I was ahead with AQ so I called. Kings called too, but even if Kings won I would of still had about the same sized stack. The big stack donk has AJ and hits a J... right play?

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 08:51 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
Hand history goes a lot farther than a recap like this.
If you run a tracker that would also help if you showed us stats for yourself and the villians in the hand.Since you are doing none of this,I will point to something that you can fix.

Stop playing this tourney till you bink a micro tourney,you are just killing your ROI and investing so much for $4k payout.1st is a bout $1081,so it doesnt make sense to be playing this for $40+!
If you where cashing in this more than you are it wouldnt be a problem.

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 08:52 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
No, prize pool get to 7 k usually, first is close to $1400.

I never rebuy. Only invest $5.50

Got 4th once
Cashed another time.

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 08:59 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
well you have not cashed in your last 20 tournaments, and spent over 70 bux.... maybe look into bankroll mgt

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 09:08 PM
(#5)
Deleted user
Regs will addon before the start of the tourney,usually you can spot the weaker players by this.
Thats one mark against you and they will be watching to see how you react to a big bet.
If you are folding you might as well be dead money.

Makes no sense to play in a rebuy when you are not playing the same tourney as everyone else.
To many reasons to list for why this is wrong.

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
I've never played a money rebuy, or know any rebuy strategy. Aside from the initial rebuy at the tournay start, why is it bad to have a no-rebuy policy? It would make your tourneys shorter on average, but is it really bad?

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 09:45 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
http://www.coinflippoker.com/artrebu...ntstrategy.htm read this it has some good advice....

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 10:22 PM
(#8)
Deleted user
15. How should I play rebuys?
There is no set in stone way, here are a few guidelines:

2+2ers generally like to take an immediate rebuy (double your stack before you play the first hand) but many don’t do this. Taking the add-on however is all but compulsory, the only real time you shouldn’t be taking it is when you have very few chips at the end of the rebuy period and have given up on cashing in the tournament. In other words, passing on the add-on is tantamount to giving up on the tournament completely.

When considering playing a rebuy, realize that you need to be budgeted to spend 3-4 times the buy-in at least, playing a rebuy as if it were a freezeout and quitting if you lose your chips is extremely ill-advised. In terms of how you want to play during the rebuy period, you shouldn’t depart from your regular game too much, some players like to slightly adjust their thinking and pretend their M is actually < 10 when it isn't. The main thing to do is take into consideration the way other people are playing and adjust accordingly, a lot of people play very loose/bad poker during the rebuy period determined to come out of it as the chip leader, you need to take advantage of that.

Also, Party Poker has a 'bug' affecting it's rebuy tournaments which allow players to rebuy whenever they are all-in (regardless of the outcome of the hand). The bug is pretty much common knowledge and used by many players. Whether or not you want to use it, it's something you should know about.

The above is from:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/23...h-function-68/

ICM is a pretty big factor into why you want to rebuy at the start as well.

Old
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 10:25 PM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2010
Thanks for that. Seems like a fun but expensive way to play.

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:58 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyrubberz View Post
15. How should I play rebuys?
There is no set in stone way, here are a few guidelines:

2+2ers generally like to take an immediate rebuy (double your stack before you play the first hand) but many don’t do this. Taking the add-on however is all but compulsory, the only real time you shouldn’t be taking it is when you have very few chips at the end of the rebuy period and have given up on cashing in the tournament. In other words, passing on the add-on is tantamount to giving up on the tournament completely.

When considering playing a rebuy, realize that you need to be budgeted to spend 3-4 times the buy-in at least, playing a rebuy as if it were a freezeout and quitting if you lose your chips is extremely ill-advised. In terms of how you want to play during the rebuy period, you shouldn’t depart from your regular game too much, some players like to slightly adjust their thinking and pretend their M is actually < 10 when it isn't. The main thing to do is take into consideration the way other people are playing and adjust accordingly, a lot of people play very loose/bad poker during the rebuy period determined to come out of it as the chip leader, you need to take advantage of that.

Also, Party Poker has a 'bug' affecting it's rebuy tournaments which allow players to rebuy whenever they are all-in (regardless of the outcome of the hand). The bug is pretty much common knowledge and used by many players. Whether or not you want to use it, it's something you should know about.

The above is from:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/23...h-function-68/

ICM is a pretty big factor into why you want to rebuy at the start as well.
there is positive aspects to making a full buy to start, but in especially "shove-y" re-buy events, especially those with a lot of spots paid (thus a SMALL amount over the initial buy in for a min cash), there is a lot to be said for starting on a half stack.

That half stack does not seem like as much of a "threat" to the larger stacks, thus they will often double or triple you up without you haivng to pay the extra add-on.

Avoiding too much "investment" in the event if the min cash is near the initial buy in amount is also very improtant; if you pay too many add-ons/re-buys, you will often need to finish much higher than a min cash to make any profit.

So a lot of what I do depends on my table...

If I see 'em ALL making the double buy to start, I am mre likely to do so; if not, then I will single buy to start, and double buy if I bust.

The stuff about not leaving unless a double buy/add on very LATE will have you hugely under the average stack (or in seriously bad M position) is spot on though...

Good info.

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 01:24 AM
(#11)
Deleted user
Totally..agee about that.
I always watch what the table does before the first hand.
IF it is a table of regs I might hold off on the buyin for one round and try and sneak my double up during a hand.Like I mentioned before about regs buying in before the 1st hand,you can also pretend to be that fish for 1/2 a orbit.

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 02:12 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
I don't think you guys are getting the message here.

This is the DONK of all DONK tournaments.... these people will literally THROW money away... so me starting with less chips doesn't matter because as long as I pick up a monster fairly early I will be successful in it.

I made a logical call but unfortunately the most unlikely scenario happened and the weaker hand knocked me out.

This is only the 5th time I've played this but okay let's figure this... I have spent $27.50 on this tournament and I have made about $550 off it.... not a bad return... especially considering all the money I piss away on sit and go's.

There are always 250-320 people or so... 15% paid... top prize gets over $1300 a lot... it really is a good one and the chips are usually very easy to get because they throw them at you.

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 02:39 AM
(#13)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresBruno View Post
I don't think you guys are getting the message here.

This is the DONK of all DONK tournaments.... these people will literally THROW money away... so me starting with less chips doesn't matter because as long as I pick up a monster fairly early I will be successful in it.

I made a logical call but unfortunately the most unlikely scenario happened and the weaker hand knocked me out.

This is only the 5th time I've played this but okay let's figure this... I have spent $27.50 on this tournament and I have made about $550 off it.... not a bad return... especially considering all the money I piss away on sit and go's.

There are always 250-320 people or so... 15% paid... top prize gets over $1300 a lot... it really is a good one and the chips are usually very easy to get because they throw them at you.
If you've made $550 why did you ask Shark for $$ recently?

Old
lol - Sat Feb 26, 2011, 02:43 AM
(#14)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
I was playing my fav tournament, the $5.50 + R($25-Add on) $4K guaranteed. It's my favorite because it is full of donks who go all in on the most absurd hands. Anyway, I had tripled up with Queens against two Ace-rags and then I got shoved all in by the same donk and I figured I was ahead with AQ so I called. Kings called too, but even if Kings won I would of still had about the same sized stack. The big stack donk has AJ and hits a J... right play?

you love donks here, but you hate donks in the pso?

hmmm. makes me think,

hiccup

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 05:28 AM
(#15)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
That IS a pretty good return.
Unless it is fictitious, like your 1st million dollars you said you won in your blog, or your Sunday Million victory--
I checked OPR.... nuttin...

I'm just sayin...

Last edited by tazz864; Sat Feb 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:23 AM
(#16)
BronzeStar
It's called officialpokerrankings

Check there if you don't believe me.

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:35 AM
(#17)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
what matters is ROI.... not 1 cash. and OPR says you're at ROI of -24% with only 13% ITM (and a 37.88% on OPR).

Anyone can get lucky once, but you need to learn more patience and to cash in alot higher percentage if you want to make any $$.

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 07:35 PM
(#18)
He did have a big pop like in early October I believe,and $550 sounds right. Not sure what the foremat was but JWK (as usual) is 100% correct Pres.

You had that big pop and are STILL underwater in your stats. Your ITM% is'nt horrible if what you were playing was MTT's exsclusively and were concentrating on deep runs and not ITM% in those. But you're playing about 50/50 between MTT's and SNG's. And if you took that $550 out of the equation then your ROI would be somewhere around -75% (give or take a couple points). That would mean that you are LOSING 75 cents out of every dollar that you invest. As it is you are losing almost 25 cents on every dollar invested. Extrapolate that out that means that every $100 dollars you invest in entry fees here you are only recouping $75 of that money.

You can come here and complain about donks keeping you down from now until Hell freezes over if it makes you feel better. But the bottom line is if you have donk numbers over a decent sized sample then you are well on the way down the path of being a 100% certified donk yourself. And a card carrying member of the FDC as well. That would be the Frequent Depositer Club.

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 08:14 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
I never have and never will deposit a single dime on PS.

Yes, I am aware my ROI is very bad.... I am trying to change that.

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:45 PM
(#20)
Then a serious bit of advice would be to pick games at a level that fits your current BR and research how to play those particular games (videos,read whatever is out there on them,watch players that kill those games.....) and then grind them. A big number. When you're ready move up. I know my sample is'nt large either but at least I've already figured out conservative BR management principles. You look yourself up on OPR Pres and you show the profile of someone who justs thrashes around from game to game with no rhyme or reason to it.

There are many players on this site who play well enough to be winning players but get done in by poor BR management. The amount of SNG's that you play and you still have that low an ITM% is very telling. I know it's not sexy but you should consider a big grind on a lower level of SNG's than what you are currently playing, a few hundred at least (yeah I need to listen to myself here,lol). You have alot of leaks that you are'nt even aware of,I'm sure of it. pounding a big number of these should start you on the path to closing some of those,IF you are willing to analyze YOUR play instead of blaming every beat on donks,the RNG or whatever.

You came with a more serious minded frame of mind in this post so I'll,for myself, give you a serious minded answer. What you do with it I'll leave to you............

But if you continue to believe that the only way that you lose is by getting jobbed,counterfeited,donked or whatever then my advice would be to quit playing RIGHT NOW as you will NEVER grow as a player believing that.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com