Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

is this standard 3 handed?

Old
is this standard 3 handed? - Sat Feb 26, 2011, 06:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to deezer_dee [Ah 4h]
Vyper0: raises 300 to 500
v1etr1der: folds
deezer_dee: calls 300
*** FLOP *** [Ad 2c 9d]
deezer_dee: checks
Vyper0: bets 550
deezer_dee: raises 2765 to 3315 and is all-in
Vyper0: calls 2765
*** TURN *** [Ad 2c 9d] [Kh]
*** RIVER *** [Ad 2c 9d Kh] [8c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
deezer_dee: shows [Ah 4h] (a pair of Aces)
Vyper0: shows [As Jc] (a pair of Aces - King+Jack kicker)
Vyper0 collected 7730 from pot
deezer_dee finished the tournament in 3rd place and received $9.00.

three-handed and i make top pair but am thinking twice about the shove. tbh i don't think i would of gotten away from this one if i called all the way down. was the check-shove a bad move?

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 06:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
no problem with the check/shove. Three handed with top pair, being aces, you gotta assume you're ahead.

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 07:48 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezer_dee View Post
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to deezer_dee [Ah 4h]
Vyper0: raises 300 to 500
v1etr1der: folds
deezer_dee: calls 300
*** FLOP *** [Ad 2c 9d]
deezer_dee: checks
Vyper0: bets 550
deezer_dee: raises 2765 to 3315 and is all-in
Vyper0: calls 2765
*** TURN *** [Ad 2c 9d] [Kh]
*** RIVER *** [Ad 2c 9d Kh] [8c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
deezer_dee: shows [Ah 4h] (a pair of Aces)
Vyper0: shows [As Jc] (a pair of Aces - King+Jack kicker)
Vyper0 collected 7730 from pot
deezer_dee finished the tournament in 3rd place and received $9.00.

three-handed and i make top pair but am thinking twice about the shove. tbh i don't think i would of gotten away from this one if i called all the way down. was the check-shove a bad move?
Rough spot really.

Cannot "blame" you for calling into the pot at the 100/200 level with any suited Ace 3 handed.

Cannot really blame you for calling (had you called him) after you hit your ace.

Cannot really blame you for shoving after hitting the ace either...

Would REALLY help to have info on the Villain's stack size though.

Can he call your shove with LESS than your holding? He'd need a pretty big stack to do so.

Fact is, I think you are lacking all the info here to really make it pretty clear this shove by you was "necessary".

No matter what, you are semi-short with aobut 18 BB, and you did hit about what you can "expect" from calling a raise with a rag Ace. So whether or not this shove was "good" purely devolves into a question of "reads", and stack sizes.

No matter what, there are WORSE things you could do.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 03:50 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
we had similar stack sizes. was left with about two big blinds after the hand. dude had been continuation betting me several times during the game so when i hit the ace, i checked to let him bet at it - my read was that he was doing that again and wouldn't call the shove. guess i could chalk it up to bad timing....3 handed, i don't think i was going to get away from this one.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com