Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

I don't understand AK

Old
I don't understand AK - Sat Feb 26, 2011, 07:47 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
I need some help. First off I get AK is considered between the 4th and 7th best hand you can get. But what is up w/ so many people pushing w/ AK pre flop especially early and mid turney when u know there are gonna be more callers in general? Sometimes they win sometimes they dont. Its stilla speculative hand right? And even a 22 has about a 50/50 shot at winning right? Am I missing something, I don't get it. Am I a nit?

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 08:20 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannfl View Post
I need some help. First off I get AK is considered between the 4th and 7th best hand you can get. But what is up w/ so many people pushing w/ AK pre flop especially early and mid turney when u know there are gonna be more callers in general? Sometimes they win sometimes they dont. Its stilla speculative hand right? And even a 22 has about a 50/50 shot at winning right? Am I missing something, I don't get it. Am I a nit?

The majority of poker players at low stakes are terrible and make a lot of mistakes.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 12:08 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Shoving with AK to win the blinds early on is pretty bad. But if you raise first in and get 3 bet, shoving as a re-raise 4 bet is a pretty good play. If you made it 100 to go and get raised to 350 with 1400 behind you can fold what might be the best hand and a hand with a lot of equity (not a great option), call and see a flop with about 1/3 of your stack already in the pot and without the initiative (not a great option), or get it all in pre-flop with a hand that is a big underdog only against AA or KK and a big favorite against any other Ax hand (pretty good).

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 03:15 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
I love AK but I'm not going to risk my whole stack to win what $80 in blinds early on. Some people view this as a freeroll and who cares, they take their chances to if they are out then they wait for the next one and try again.

As said already upthread, it's just a dog against AA or KK. But I rarely go all in pre-flop unless I am short stacked. You are not a nit, you just have to realize a lot who play the PSO have different goals for the tournaments than you do and you just have to dodge them until you have the AA or KK...then cross your fingers.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 05:10 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
thx for the replies. yeah that makes a lot of sense leviathon. ive played a lot of cash games (live, nothing major usually at the dog track) but oly turneys in the last 6 weeks or so. i love pso, its great practice. good people too. i love turneys cause of the poss. huge payouts compared to investment (beats the lottery odds huh lol) vs. cash games which can get stale and makin a dollar can be like pullin teeth. interesting thing i like w/ turneys ur not just thinking about your hand but your finishing place usually is a major factor in you and others play /decision making too. thats the biggest difference besides your stack is rarely as deep like in cash. again thx, cheers and gl all.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 05:14 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
I saw some donk in Roomiks post overplay AK preflop as well!
Like what was the idiot thinking?

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 05:41 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
Wrote you a note in the "Donk Plays" thread Johann,,,welcome.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 06:36 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyrubberz View Post
I saw some donk in Roomiks post overplay AK preflop as well!
Like what was the idiot thinking?
lmao

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com