Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Double or Nothing SitnGo 2nd place w/9 players left

Old
Double or Nothing SitnGo 2nd place w/9 players left - Sun Feb 27, 2011, 02:19 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
This is my first attempt at hand replayer post. Hopefully it works!

The situation is as seen below. I have no prior knowledge of other players prior to this game.
This was the 24th hand of the session. This was my first time playing 3 tables at same time and was involved with another hand on another table. Looking back I know I played it poorly, but I'm still losing a ton of chips here b/c I saw the possible str8 with a limper.

Suggestions on post flop play... and I think I got stuck with aejones Theory!!!

Last edited by Daders; Sun Feb 27, 2011 at 02:26 PM..

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 05:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Early in a DoN type event, you gotta really give creedence to a check raise of any sort.

Those events are jsut too tightly played (in general) to FAIL to give thought to what can beat you.

Top and bottom pair is "good", but both your stack, and the opponent's, are too "large" to really want to get all in with a 1 pair hand. This is especially true since there are no string DRAW hances with any expectation of being "ahead" (mathematically) of a single pair hand; meaning there are no 2 way" flush/straight combo draws, or ooe STR plus over card draws.

His re-pop MIGHT have been AK, but you could have flatted that, and almost certainly seen a bet from him in this sort of event, especially if a draw does materialize.

Since you;ve heard of AEJones' theorem, try considering a modified form of the "Baluga theorem", as applied to check raises in normally TIGHT structure events.

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 04:29 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
JD viewed the Theorems training yesterday!

Thanks for posting this here Daders. I agree with JD, in a double or nothing format unless the villain is wacko or clueless, he's going to have a monster here when he puts in a solid check-raise with more than double the starting stack, vs. another double stack. Ask yourself what his range if hands is going to be for this much strength? The answer is nothing that you're beating.

Even if he were bluff-happy, 3 betting would be bad because he'll fold his bluffs and get it in with his value range (all of which is ahead of you). But there's no reason for him to be bluffing this spot, so he should basically be c/r only a value range, which with these stacks in a DON format should be 2 pair+. The only hand in that range you're beating is 97, and THAT is weak enough he might fold to your 3b anyway. K9 or a set he's not folding. I like the flop bet for value with 2 pair, but when the big c/r comes from another big stack, it's time to re-evaluate (in Baluga-like fashion).

Dave

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 07:44 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
JD viewed the Theorems training yesterday!

Thanks for posting this here Daders. I agree with JD, in a double or nothing format unless the villain is wacko or clueless, he's going to have a monster here when he puts in a solid check-raise with more than double the starting stack, vs. another double stack. Ask yourself what his range if hands is going to be for this much strength? The answer is nothing that you're beating.

Even if he were bluff-happy, 3 betting would be bad because he'll fold his bluffs and get it in with his value range (all of which is ahead of you). But there's no reason for him to be bluffing this spot, so he should basically be c/r only a value range, which with these stacks in a DON format should be 2 pair+. The only hand in that range you're beating is 97, and THAT is weak enough he might fold to your 3b anyway. K9 or a set he's not folding. I like the flop bet for value with 2 pair, but when the big c/r comes from another big stack, it's time to re-evaluate (in Baluga-like fashion).

Dave
Actually, no I didn;t...

but some others of us might read 2 +2 as well ;-)

See post from December:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...baluga+theorem

Last edited by JDean; Mon Feb 28, 2011 at 07:47 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com