Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Donk Plays

Old
Donk Plays - Sun Feb 27, 2011, 04:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
Love them or hate them they have cost us all but how can the shove monkeys/rag players be removed? Having played the league for a few months now i suggest putting a point threshhold for single tourney cashes ie. you need 1550 points to cash in a tournament or at least get the full cash. Please tell me what you think. ps I realise some ppl think im a donk

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 04:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisbon roar View Post
Love them or hate them they have cost us all but how can the shove monkeys/rag players be removed? Having played the league for a few months now i suggest putting a point threshhold for single tourney cashes ie. you need 1550 points to cash in a tournament or at least get the full cash. Please tell me what you think. ps I realise some ppl think im a donk
hi donk i think not jan 62th now 182 you know how to get past the donkeys/shove monkeys.keep them that's how we chip up. sure they take us out now and then.if you did not kick the s--- out of them most of the time you would not have your rank.i love donkeys/shove monkeys and maybe 15% of the time they have a real hand.that's ok with me but the 15% is likely 10% to high.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 04:51 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
i d rather keep it the way it is. it seems ok .
re:donks. im really hating that word. i personally have no prob. w/ the way donks and maniacs play. i know ivw won a heck of a lot more against em than lost. its just most people remember the hands theyve lost and forget the ones theyve won. if i raise kk and u push with q4 and you flop 44j, thats fine. thats poker. ill take those odds all day long everyday. i do hate poeple calling others donks or whatever cause theyre mad they lost. in this game just cause the odds are on your side on a particular hand doesnt mean ull win. u have to take that into account. if i flip a quarter the odds are it wont land on heads twice. doesnt mean it wont happen. but if you flip that quarter 10000 times, it will be about 50% heads 50% tails plus or minus less than .1%. but again, i welcome anyone, donk maniac, newbie whatever who plays like crap, and if i cant consistently beat those who play like crap, well then maybe i need to look in the mirror instead of complaining about donks or whatever. part of my play is realizing that there may be people that will make unexpected calls, etc. phil ivey once called w/ a 9 high on a push and won! is he a donk?
finally i dont consider anyone that takes this game seriously a donk. cheers and gl.
johann.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 05:01 PM
(#4)
Johann i take your point on board but there are ppl who play for just single tourney cashes and as far as im aware that is not the point of the league. I have no problem with ppl who take it seriously I just reckon everyones skill level would increase if there was less maniacs playing granted you find them in all walks of poker (less so in bigger cash tourneys) but bad plays that go right dont improve skill.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 05:19 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
OIC i didnt know what u meant. i never even consider the $$ aspect of the single game and that some people are playing just for that. i see ur point but if a serious player whose just not that good but is playing their best has a great run and makes it to the final table, i wouldnt wanna penalize that persons good effort that day cause hes not over 1550.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 05:38 PM
(#6)
Hey Johann, welcome to the forum and the pso. Nice job in your 2nd month.
Looks like you'll be a positive contributor to the forum.
I was looking at your other thread too...dogtrack?? not Melbourne FL is it? Cocoa here.
I have a home game for new members if you're interested. Look in the new members forum for details. It's a chance to play a little play money, win a couple bucks maybe, and get your questions answered live.
Take care and best o' luck out there.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 05:57 PM
(#7)
Gee thanks dan feels like you just vandalized my thread by wish someone else luck and not me

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 06:05 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
dan thans bro im gonna throw some cash into my acct when i get into west union. this month (mar) found a couple cash tourneys im int. in. will def. let u know.
and lis ill wish u gl again for dans lack of lol

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 07:56 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Gee thanks dan feels like you just vandalized my thread by wish someone else luck and not me
I am sorry lisbon... absolutely I wish you the best of luck. I just have to acknowledge new players when I see them. I believe I have welcomed you before as your name is familiar...but if I didn't .. please accept my sincere apologies. If you're interested in the home game for new members, please come and join us.

Now I feel bad.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 09:30 PM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
I am sorry lisbon... absolutely I wish you the best of luck. I just have to acknowledge new players when I see them. I believe I have welcomed you before as your name is familiar...but if I didn't .. please accept my sincere apologies. If you're interested in the home game for new members, please come and join us.

Now I feel bad.

As you should. I contacted Staff and Admin and suggested that you take a 2 week Sabbatical at the nearest Wal-Mart so as to hone your greeting skills.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 10:43 PM
(#11)

Old
new to the game/my big fish story - Mon Feb 28, 2011, 02:22 AM
(#12)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
i just want to say that i am exited to try my best in the pso, i have been playing poker at home for years with just my friends and family but i have never played in any BIG ones, my biggest game was $100 buy-in + $10 for pizza and pop at the 2 hour mark, there were 36 players including me.
my boss was the only one there that i knew and he didnt even play, he just introduced me to the good man who set it up and i bought in then my boss left to be in a beer league hockey game.
i was quite nervous at the start but i picked up a small pot on the very first hand and from then on i settled right in! 45 minutes from the start my table had its first elimination when a guy who had roughly 3800 or so chips was moved to our table (starting chips 1500), at that point i was second at the table with 2700, the new guy was playing very aggressively buying all the antes and over betting every hand before to long he was at 4800+ and i was the only one at (other than him) at the table above 2000 still with 2700, on my big blind it was announced that it was the last hand before the 45 minute pizza break, i was dealt 9 5 of clubs and there wee a few limpers until it got to the NG (new guy) and he threw out 600 on top of the 50 chip ante the table folded around to me and i called then the limpers folded and we were heads up, the flop came 3 10 K of clubs and i check my flush then he bets a thousand and i raise all in and he calls, he had Q J off with no clubs and cant believe i called his pre-flop bet (in good sport)! during the break i find out he is good friends with the guy who hosted the game and i am introduced to the "inner circle" as a loose better, i shrugged it off (i had the chips) and got to know some of the people there, there were off duty fire fighters and police officers to local small business owners, without going into details, it seemed like i was in a lower tax bracket. NG couldnt get over the last hand before the break and kept joking about it but as fate would have it the third hand after play resumed i caught pocket Q's and NG raised all in for about 1800 then a shortstack called and i called, NG had pocket 8's and the shorty had A K and i took them both out, it wasnt long from then that we shortend tables to just 2 and i got the table with the host and all of his friends, it was a little intimidating but there was only 2 stacks bigger than mine so i liked my chances, about 2 hands in i got pocket aces and and was faced with a pretty steep bet and a call so i just called, the flop was A K 7 and a bigger stack raised 2500 the other guy folded and i re-raised all in and the bigger stack called, he instantly flipped up pocket 7's for three of a kind, when i showed him the pocket aces he couldnt believe it, he kept yelling "what are the odds of that" and he was nothing short of pissed off lol.....i methodically went on to win the whole thing for $1150! that was an awsome rush for 6 and a half hours! since then i havent played in any big tourneys, just $10 to $20 with family winning some losing some but always fun. thank you if you took the time to read this! my name is luke and im new to the pso and that my friends is my big poker story!

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 06:13 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Welcome, Luke, and congrats on your win. Nice story. Would make for a good blog. Though you might try utilizing paragraphs. Anyway, good luck here in the PSO.

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 08:05 AM
(#14)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Welcome luke... and yes hitting the enter button a few times wouldnt hurt lol... btw NICE STARS verdugo

Old
simple reply from a newbie - Mon Feb 28, 2011, 01:30 PM
(#15)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Yes I'm new to this.. although i started playing cards 40yrs ago for money Tripoly got me hooked... anyway the pso league seems to have fewer pushmonkey/donks then most low level turneys and although frustrating as they have crippled me the last few turneys early I regularly recognize them and have comeup with some stategies for knocking them out. With out them I would not have increased my knowledge of the game. So no don't penalize me for being under 1550... I went from 10000th place to 2000th place in two days knocking donks out. I'm glad they are here.
Peace,
Jahrastadog

Old
I'm Guilty - Tue Mar 01, 2011, 04:08 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannfl View Post
i d rather keep it the way it is. it seems ok .
re:donks. im really hating that word. i personally have no prob. w/ the way donks and maniacs play. i know ivw won a heck of a lot more against em than lost. its just most people remember the hands theyve lost and forget the ones theyve won. if i raise kk and u push with q4 and you flop 44j, thats fine. thats poker. ill take those odds all day long everyday. i do hate poeple calling others donks or whatever cause theyre mad they lost. in this game just cause the odds are on your side on a particular hand doesnt mean ull win. u have to take that into account. if i flip a quarter the odds are it wont land on heads twice. doesnt mean it wont happen. but if you flip that quarter 10000 times, it will be about 50% heads 50% tails plus or minus less than .1%. but again, i welcome anyone, donk maniac, newbie whatever who plays like crap, and if i cant consistently beat those who play like crap, well then maybe i need to look in the mirror instead of complaining about donks or whatever. part of my play is realizing that there may be people that will make unexpected calls, etc. phil ivey once called w/ a 9 high on a push and won! is he a donk?
finally i dont consider anyone that takes this game seriously a donk. cheers and gl.
johann.
Johann,
I understand your point but it does get frustrating when you know you're playing good sound poker and you get your Aces cracked by someone shoving all in with 72 off. It seems to be worse at the end of the month. It just seems that too often, those donks, morons, idiots or whatever else we call them when we lose, seem to get the best of a lot of good players.

I'm still trying to figure out how to protect myself from the ones calling with bottom pair when you flop two pair to have them suck out a set/trips on the river or calling your flopped set and sucking out runner runner straight or flush. They often are ones calling four bet preflop and pot sized bets on flop and turn. Makes it tough to fold on the river when the texture of the board isn't showing anything that can possibly beat you until the turn or river. How do you protect against the runner runner dray to an inside straight?? Any suggestions.

Shoving all in when you have a good hand doesn't seem to work either, they still seem to call with nothing. The only ones that fold are the good players.
Dave

Old
Scoring - Tue Mar 01, 2011, 04:21 PM
(#17)
On a side note, I'm not sure about the scoring formula. As you increase your ranking score, you get penalized for being better. I saw where one of the top six finishers for the month had a 3 place finish and only got like 14 points.

I would agree with the original author that a few tourneys for those above a certain score would be nice.

Old
Tue Mar 01, 2011, 04:48 PM
(#18)
Murphy I think you have misunderstood my point was that you only collect single tourney cashes if your above a certain score thus removing those that play just to cash in a certain tourney. Also the scoring formula punishes those that do well to force you to improve and play consistently well.

Old
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 04:17 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
hey muphy

yes playing on a table w/ donks and even maniacs can be frustrating. when i started pso i learned real fast that they were gonna be an obstacle i have to overcome. theyre like landmines in a battlefield.
when i started taking this game seriously, and before i ever played a tourney, i started on the play money tables. when i got enough chips to play 200/400 i did, and if the better players didnt kill me, the maniacs bullied me into submission or the donks broke me. now i dont play those tables anymore. not because of the donks or wild players but because i just dont lose there anymore. not ever. i know that sounds so friggin arrogant, and generally im a modest person (not like matuso, lol), but its true. i make less mistakes (than most those players now). (and to paraphrase a morgan freeman quote) im methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient! (lol) anyway, i just outgrew that level of play. whats my point?
though many people dont consider those tables "realistic" poker (ive heard people there say endless times "i bet he wouldna made that play if this was real money) i learned a lot playing there. (in addition to pso, books, coaching, etc) i learned to play well against the maniac and donks. if i had just played against abc's of poker players, id be a worse player today. do u see what im tryin to get at?
yeah its frustrating getting your aces cracked by 72. but i stand firm behind my original point, if i do go all in, lets say with aq or kk, id still rather do it against a donk caller holding 72, than a tight agressive holding ak or aa.
how to protect against donks / non folders. to me the most important thing is to recognize them. then adjust my play accordingly. getting a read on the players to me is more important than getting a premium hand dealt to me. anyway if you know someone rarely folds, another calls a push with a huge range of cards, another sits there until he gets aa or kk then pushes, to me thats a huge advantage. knowing what someones gonna do is the next best thing to seeing their cards. isooner or later, that flop is gonna go just like i want it. now ive got a big gun in a knife fight. because i know what theyre gonna do, theye not gonna know what hit em.
finally, just playing tighter earlier is fundamental for me. the donks knock each other out. sometimes theres a lucky one that gets up there in hr 3 etc, but at that point i find myself playing mostly solid players.
cheers and gl. johann

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com