Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

AA - were there better ways to play this?

Old
AA - were there better ways to play this? - Sun Feb 27, 2011, 06:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
This was at a cash table, I'd been sitting for 30-40 minutes without getting ANYTHING to play, while the MP3 and another player were acting like maniacs making wild bets and getting lucky. I was getting more and more frustrated waiting to get a hand I could play against these guys.

The UTG player was multitabling about a dozen tables and seemed to be playing solidly.

I admit my thinking was not too clear as the hand developed. I got a strong sense that the villain might have an inferior pocket pair to mine and rather focussed in on this rather than consider all the possibilities. I also was in a mindset of hoping to take advantage of the very loose players, and didn't adjust my thinking to a tighter, more precise opponent.

His preflop raise and the stack sizes made me rule out him set mining with a mediocre pair. I thought it safe to assume he had big cards, so was confident I was ahead at the flop and just wanted to get some chips in the pot without scaring him off. At the turn I must admit I didnt really try to narrow his range and see where I stood, but just got it into my head he probably had something like QQ, JJ, so without really thinking it through I tried to bet enough to price out a possible flush but still not scare him off. Pretty loose thinking I know, but we don't always do things the best we know how when the pressure is on and a big pot is winking at us. I was still just hoping to get all of the money in by the river.

When he made his river bet, I felt a little sick. I felt i had no choice but to call but I didn't like what I thought I would see. So the point of posting this is to ask if and how I could have avoided finding myself in this situation on the river.

Should I have bet bigger to protect my made hand? Could I have controlled the pot size to avoid getting all in on an unimproved pair, or should I have even wanted to? Anything else I could have changed? How should I have really gone about thinking the hand through as it developed?

##########################################
PokerStars Ring Game
Blinds : 0.05/0.1
##########################################

9 players
[SB] (9.9)
[BB] (7.79)
[1] UTG (19.23)
[2] UTG+1(10.36)
[3] MP1(5.77)
[4] MP2(3.87)
[5] MP3(19.38)
[6] CO(4)
[But] mytton (9.45)

mytton
Initial Pot: 0.15
UTG raises to 0.3
UTG+1 folds
MP1 folds
MP2 folds
MP3 calls 0.3
CO folds
mytton raises to 1
SB folds
BB folds
UTG calls 0.7
MP3 folds
### FLOP ### Pot: 2.45
UTG checks
mytton bets 1.2
UTG calls 1.2
### TURN ### Pot: 4.85
UTG checks
mytton bets 3.3
UTG calls 3.3
### RIVER ### Pot: 11.45
UTG bets 4
mytton ???

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 09:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
u gotta fold to the river bet. if it was one of the maniacs, u probably calling the river bet. but the mutli tabler mighta overplayed his draw, or slowplayed a set, either way u dont usually see the multi tablers make value bets like that on the river with just a pair.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com