Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

How would you play this hand

Old
How would you play this hand - Sun Feb 27, 2011, 07:47 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
I just watched a a Poker Stars Pro play this hand, want to know how you would play it.

You have Pocket 8s in the Hijack seats. Blinds are 60/120 you have a healthy stack almost 6k. Middle position comes in with a small raise a little over min raise. you make the call, then small blind comes over the top and shoves last 2300 chips. middle position folds, what would you do.

I know you would have to have observed this player, see how they play but say you just got moved to a new table and your in this situation.

So do you make the call for 2000 more chips, almost 1/2 your stack so if you lose the hand you still have 3k chips but are now below chip average or do you fold and wait for a better chance?

So Vanessa Rousso makes the call with her 8s. opponent has KQ suited, the 8s hold up.

I think its pretty much a coin flip decision to call or not, either one I would guess would be right, you probably always put them on 2 high cards but is it worth it going into a coin flip with a slight advantage.

How would you play the hand?

Also I'll add some additional info:

Not close to the money, maybe still 1000 people before in the money. You have chip average before the hand

Last edited by guitaplaya69; Sun Feb 27, 2011 at 07:56 PM..

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 07:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Like you said, so much depends on the situation. Can't answer out of context.

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 07:19 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2010
If the scenario is I'm new to the table I'd be folding, no read on the SB, no idea of their range, the folding by the initial raiser whilst making it a coin flip would add to my caution as this would be my only indication on how the SB and this bet was perceived by players who had been sat with them a while.

If I've been playing this opp for a while I'm going to use my read to decide, particular as its HU, I'd probably call it though but then I do have a soft spot for 88 , losing the hand would be a set back but not a disaster.

My question would by why is VR calling and not raising herself?

Last edited by bogweed1964; Mon Feb 28, 2011 at 07:21 AM..

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 07:49 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2010
easy fold when new to a table the guy could have been as tight scrooge and woke up with aa,kk,qq easy enough always good to get a read so you dont have 1 you can lay 8s down easily

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com