Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Good Flop?

Old
Good Flop? - Mon Feb 28, 2011, 01:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
I took the conservative route on this hand. A 4 bet pre-flop is an option, but I prefferred not to get deeply committed pre-flop this early in the tounament. The flop is interesting. After the check through on flop and turn I think I might be ahead of my opponents range (99-KK I am thinking). Anyone in favor of a river bet? If so, and assuming I will fold to any raise, how much?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO (t1530)
Button (t1490)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1500)
Hero (UTG) (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)

Hero's M: 50.00

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q, Q
Hero bets t60, UTG+1 raises to t400, 7 folds, Hero calls t340

Flop: (t830) 6, A, A (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks

Turn: (t830) 5 (2 players)

River: (t830) 6 (2 players)

Total pot: t830

Last edited by DLeviathan; Mon Feb 28, 2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 01:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
The 6.6x reraise is just weird. People who raise over 3x tend to be bad, so I don't think a 6.6x reraise is any real indicator of the guy being very good. A good player would have you beat here, I think. But because of his bet sizing, I think you can guess that the guy has a significantly wider range. I'd be willing to guess that any ace would have taken a straightforward approach and bet the flop or turn, which only leaves kings that beat you. I would have bet the river for value, and I would not have folded to a raise. I think I would have tried to make my hand look weak by betting T100 or so, in hopes that the other guy would jam it. He's already shown that he likes to make aggressive raises, and he's suggested that he's bad. Bluffing would not be beyond him. Of course, if he turns over AA or KK, gg. If he turns over J6, then lol.

That's my thought process. Might be good, might be bad. I'd like to know what you think of it, D.

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 02:46 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
If i bet 100 on the river and he raises to 200 I am calling. If I bet 100 and he raises all-in I am folding. A player holding an Ace could slow play that flop. Indeed, I would have folded to any reasonable size bet on the flop or turn, so slow playing would have been the correct line to take against me.

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 04:51 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
I think you can get about a half pot bet of value from 99-JJ.

What's your plan for the hand calling preflop out of position? You said you didn't 4b because you didn't want to get deeply involved preflop this early (in fact 4b over this 3b size is a stack decision). But you're playing a grossly inflated pot oop now, when you don't flop a Q what is your plan? It's important to know this ahead of time before making this preflop call. You got lucky in that the villain checked it down, but if he c-bets you're not going to know what to do on a lot of boards....

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:34 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
I wouldn't continue unless I flopped an overpair. So how does that compare to shoving pre-flop?

If he holds AA or KK I bust out either way. If he holds 99-JJ it depends on whether he would fold to the shove. I do better with the shove if he calls it. If he holds AK I do much worse or much better depending on what flops. Worst case scenario for how I played is if he holds AQ and King flops and he c-bets. I would have won the pot with a shove in that scenario and I lose the pot with my planned play.

Your question may imply that calling is a poor option and I should either fold to the big raise or shove over it pre-flop.

Old
Tue Mar 01, 2011, 09:24 AM
(#6)
Since: May 2010
maybe a value bet on the river would have been interesting.
if he re raises silly amounts snap call with a pre flop call on his raise someone holding the ace would have to think about putting you on an ace also so he woudnt check the flop and turn to let you catch a full house IMO but yes i guess he had tripe and wanted to steal the blinds but it ended up costing him about BB i assume the bb was 60??

Old
Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:07 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antlovesang1 View Post
but yes i guess he had tripe and wanted to steal the blinds but it ended up costing him about BB i assume the bb was 60??
Take a closer look at the pre-flop action.

Old
Tue Mar 01, 2011, 12:01 PM
(#8)
Since: May 2010
are you emphasing the UTG postion raise sir??? if so then yes sorry excuse me for not putting the glasses on but yup correct play then in the circumstances id still fancy value betting the river but you won the showdown thats all that counts nh

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com