Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Five minutes after I return...

Old
Five minutes after I return... - Tue Mar 01, 2011, 04:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
...the bad luck begins! These are the kinds of hands that I decided to take a break for. I'm not a bad player I don't think, but these two show me up as one. Grr.

In the first hand, I understand it was slightly too early for KQs...however I felt it was worth playing at that point. Plus, I understand that I was basically a victim of a classic set mine. However, he really shouldnt have tried that with the stacks as they were surely? I feel it was wrong for him to call an early raise in this spot.

A negative points total to start the month off at PSO! Fantastic. (Not really).

Question is - what could I have done to not go broke twice?

Tom

Last edited by tomrankin51; Tue Mar 01, 2011 at 04:21 PM..

Old
Tue Mar 01, 2011, 04:32 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hand 1 there's no need to open so big, you have no pot control options when you inflate the pot so much preflop. There's no way this hand comes out different, the opponent made a bad call with 33 and got lucky, and even opening smaller once you turn the 3rd Q you're not getting away on this depth of money ever. Just a cooler.

Hand 2, you didn't go broke since you had him covered but again nothing wrong here, a player limps 5 high on a short stack (bad) and stacks it off to a raise (bad), you're about a 2-1 favorite, nothing wrong with this one imo.

Old
Tue Mar 01, 2011, 04:57 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
When you say open, do you mean pre-flop? Pre-flop is standard for me. I've tried smaller and it doesn't feel comfortable and I get called too much so I keep it that size. I'm not sure how I can stop too many calling when I open with less than 4BB?

I think that everyone would have bet the flop, so are you saying just bet smaller? Even with that texture? Is there anything to be said for making a statement with the bet that size? Bet sizing is really something I need to look at so any advice would be really helpful.

BTW Hand 2, sorry yes I had him covered. My mistake on that one. When writing that I was thinking about how I got knocked out - my AJ was beaten by an Ace high flush lol.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com