Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Hi, and a q about play volume

Old
Hi, and a q about play volume - Tue Mar 01, 2011, 06:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
I've got a few posts here but haven't said "hi" yet - so, hi! I started in the PSO league in January, looking for something to keep the brain working for a few weeks while I recovered from knee surgery. I was (and, sadly, still am) drastically under-employed, so the time was available for a good bit of poker. Well, complications ensued and that 2-3 weeks became 6 weeks minimum followed by another two or three months of rehab, so I'm still here. Somewhat to my surprise, I'm both learning from and enjoying the league. I ended January ranked 11,954 (the pain meds had *some* part in that), and February at 1,394 - a pretty good jump. And I made a couple semi- and final tables, where the chat becomes instructive, civil and enjoyable.

So, my question: I think it'd be great to keep at the league until I felt like I had a shot at the top couple hundred each month, but I'm not sure I'll be able to play enough tourneys - what do folks figure the minimum games/month to be in the top hundred or two is? Are the numbers available to crunch?

I mean, I'm here for a while more anyway, but I'm trying to figure out what my PSO "lifespan" is gonna be.

Old
Tue Mar 01, 2011, 07:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Hi uhrren welcome to the League. Nice jump up last month,you are well on your way to being assimilated by the Borg host.

As to the query on how many games is enough to make it to the top 200,the answer is it takes as many games as it takes. Not being a smart azz here,just imparting that some players can do alot with a little,and some can play 100+ and come in the bottom 10 of the league or even dead last (Hiya tencat ).

Cat 992K last month played only 35 PSO's and ended up 10th for the month. This has been approached (maybe even bettered?) by others in the past. I only played 24 times in February myself and made $15,almost $30. I've also made the top 98 for the $50 with less than two full pages of plays in the past,so not even two a day. It's more what you get out of (or don't lose) each time you load up a PSO. Don't bust out before the 1 hour in mark,EVER,if at all possible. Don't risk a sure cash for ANY one individual hand,if you have enough chips to turtle home do not be loathe to do so. Deep cashes don't benefit you enough points wise ti worry about going for them. Cashinhg at the lowest rung does'nt compare badly,pointswise,to any finish short of the top 3.

Old
Tue Mar 01, 2011, 07:56 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Thanks Pip; learning some of the scoring tricks (plus off the pain meds) is what helped last month. I don't know if I have the discipline to ALWAYS play for the points - sometimes I just gotta check a decent hand against a (hopefully correctly read) semi-loose opponent - but clearly it's good to at least be aware there's a smarter point play.

And it sounds like an average of a game a day *might* work. I'm not sure I can sustain that once (very soon, hopefully) work picks up, but at least it's a reasonable target. Averaging 2 or 3 a day is just not likely for me.

Old
very wise - Tue Mar 01, 2011, 09:40 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Hi uhrren welcome to the League. Nice jump up last month,you are well on your way to being assimilated by the Borg host.

As to the query on how many games is enough to make it to the top 200,the answer is it takes as many games as it takes. Not being a smart azz here,just imparting that some players can do alot with a little,and some can play 100+ and come in the bottom 10 of the league or even dead last (Hiya tencat ).

Cat 992K last month played only 35 PSO's and ended up 10th for the month. This has been approached (maybe even bettered?) by others in the past. I only played 24 times in February myself and made $15,almost $30. I've also made the top 98 for the $50 with less than two full pages of plays in the past,so not even two a day. It's more what you get out of (or don't lose) each time you load up a PSO. Don't bust out before the 1 hour in mark,EVER,if at all possible. Don't risk a sure cash for ANY one individual hand,if you have enough chips to turtle home do not be loathe to do so. Deep cashes don't benefit you enough points wise ti worry about going for them. Cashinhg at the lowest rung does'nt compare badly,pointswise,to any finish short of the top 3.
Very well said. If I had followed these words of wisdom last month I would have been vastly better off. It is indeed tough to follow them, but you will profit by it. Good luck and have a good one!! Lasthippie

Old
Tue Mar 01, 2011, 09:47 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
A top 200 finish can be had in 30 tournaments, which means one a day is enough. The scoring system makes it harder to advance the higher you get. So to advance from that top 200 spot to a spot challenging for the bigger money in the top 10 will take many more tournaments. I have made sufficient points to finish in the top 200 within my first 30 tournaments more than once. I have never finished in the top 10, but I intend to keep trying.

Old
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 01:37 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
hello uhhren
Great question. i was wondering the same thing. typically i'm lucky to get in one a day as well. that alone is a heck of a lot of time, especially if you go deep. to even things up score-wise a little more, i dont know why pokerschool dosent just allow one entry per day max. thats just my opinion and yes i know what they say about those.
thanks for the info all and see you on the final table. im watching pokerstars big game now...god vanessa rousso's hot. anyways cheers. johann.

Old
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 01:54 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
To me he biggest why as to PSO not being limited to one entry a day is simple---This is among it's other things a markeying tool for PStars intended to get more players playing for cash so PStars can increase it's rake. That is not meant to be cynical,or callous,just a fact. And given the generosity of what PStars puts back in here it's still a great deal and greatly appreciated by many,count me amongst them. But they are'nt gonna be so rockheaded in getting casual freerollers to possibly become paying regs by telling them to do something as business unsavvy as telling them to play less poker.

And this is from someone who's chances at taking this league down every month would grow,not diminish,if they limited the amount of plays.

Old
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 09:47 AM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2010
It is definitely possible to get into the higher parts of the leaderboard without playing much more than one game a day. Just to give another example, I made the top 200 in Feb playing 28 tournaments, and in Jan from playing 33. As Moxie Pip mentioned, Cat992k even got into the top 10 in Feb playing a similar number.

I am anything but a Poker Ninja, but I do have a pretty good grasp of the scoring system, and I keep Points Equity in mind while playing.

The choke points built into the scoring system, despite the cynicism you will hear about it, actually significantly reduce the advantage of playing a huge number of tournaments in the month. The higher your score, the harder it is to keep increasing your score. Almost everyone will hit a plateau eventually, at which point they are as likely to lose points as gain them if they keep playing.

There is plenty of good info in the Scoring System Analysis thread, although as far as I know, nobody has done the maths regarding the number of tournaments it typically takes to reach that "plateau" score. My rough estimate is that most players will reach that point after about 35-45 tourneys played. After that I suspect the only advantage in playing on is to try and hit a hot run and peak at a higher score and then stop playing. Of course, knowing when you have hit the peak and being able to stop at the right moment are easier said than done

Old
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 12:55 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Great info all and nice to hear from everyone. I understand PS is unlikely to limit the number of plays, though something like "best first 10/20/30" prize(s) each month would be cool. Or even just being able to filter the leaderboard based on games played - something to let lower-volume players get over "top of the board" envy

But as I said, it's been a bit surprising how fun and useful my last two months were, so I want to keep it up - I'm just trying to be realistic (and sensible!) about the time I can put into this.

gl all - see you on the tables.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com