Top 10% is the new mediocre??

Old
Top 10% is the new mediocre?? - Wed Mar 02, 2011, 11:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
At no point in this exercise in mediocrity, to pure donkitude, back to mediocrity .
Because this subject has no constructive relevance to the "FastCurves Poker challenge," I am, while reticent to defend my success, simply asking an open-ended question:
Is cashing an exercise in mediocrity?
If the answer is affirmative and if my success is not being singled-out for defense, it is obvious that the 'FastCurves Challenge" is a more effective learning tool than I thought...

I'm just sayin...

Old
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 11:31 PM
(#2)
i don't understand teh words

Old
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 11:34 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
What are teh words?

Old
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 11:42 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.duce View Post
i don't understand teh words
I am not surprised...
If anyone needs it explained, they probably don't need to let the whole forum know...

Im just sayin (since I know how much you ADORE that expression...)--

Old
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 11:49 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
133 games to acquire 206.53 points? Well since you asked tazz,yes, in my book that's mediocre. I don't think I'm alone in that opinion either,and that's all it is. Now mediocre in this league can get you ahead of almost 96% of the field for the month (that's what you actually did BTW,so grats on that at least). But given the make up of the vast majority of this league I think we really know what playing 133 times and scoring 206.53 points is,either mediocrity or an exercise in futility,take your pick.

Tazz what's a real shame about this is we all know that you're brighter than this,to actually believe that this fastcurves brouhaha is a worthy accomplishment. Much brighter. So I can only chalk this up to mule-headed obstinancy.

I think if you were to actually PLAY the league,the PSO way,and try to maximize your results in it you would surprise yourself.

But whatever,if I have more confidence in your ability to compete here than you do maybe we really did learn something form your "challenge" after all.

This is'nt meant as a burn or anything really like it,I truly believe that you're holding yourself back with this nonsense. And you don't even need any donks to help you (ok,that's a bit of a burn but not at you,lol). Now you may say that you are getting entertainment value,or whatever, out of this challenge and that's fine. But to say that you're learning anything useful,especially compared to the truly useful lessons you COULD be learning trying to play at the higher levels of the league,well I'm sorry but that's just a bunch of tripe. And it's not ALL about stalling and folding,and what we sometimes rip it for being either. Try to REALLY challenge yourself and see what you've got,you may just surprise yourself.

Good luck either way.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 11:52 PM..

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 12:28 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
133 games to acquire 206.53 points? Well since you asked tazz,yes, in my book that's mediocre. I don't think I'm alone in that opinion either,and that's all it is. Now mediocre in this league can get you ahead of almost 96% of the field for the month (that's what you actually did BTW,so grats on that at least). But given the make up of the vast majority of this league I think we really know what playing 133 times and scoring 206.53 points is,either mediocrity or an exercise in futility,take your pick.

Tazz what's a real shame about this is we all know that you're brighter than this,to actually believe that this fastcurves brouhaha is a worthy accomplishment. Much brighter. So I can only chalk this up to mule-headed obstinancy.

I think if you were to actually PLAY the league,the PSO way,and try to maximize your results in it you would surprise yourself.

But whatever,if I have more confidence in your ability to compete here than you do maybe we really did learn something form your "challenge" after all.

This is'nt meant as a burn or anything really like it,I truly believe that you're holding yourself back with this nonsense. And you don't even need any donks to help you (ok,that's a bit of a burn but not at you,lol). Now you may say that you are getting entertainment value,or whatever, out of this challenge and that's fine. But to say that you're learning anything useful,especially compared to the truly useful lessons you COULD be learning trying to play at the higher levels of the league,well I'm sorry but that's just a bunch of tripe. And it's not ALL about stalling and folding,and what we sometimes rip it for being either. Try to REALLY challenge yourself and see what you've got,you may just surprise yourself.

Good luck either way.
pfffffffft.... Yeah. Whatever, perfessor...

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 12:30 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
Props for playing in 133 game thats one heck of a grind. But your results are mediocre, you had a lot of tournaments where you lost points. Looks like you were more concerned with playing as many tournaments as possible rather than making the most out of each tournament to get a quality result.

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 12:34 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidInFull6 View Post
Props for playing in 133 game thats one heck of a grind. But your results are mediocre, you had a lot of tournaments where you lost points. Looks like you were more concerned with playing as many tournaments as possible rather than making the most out of each tournament to get a quality result.
You're probably right... I'm multi-tabling now, so I really cant decide...LOL

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 12:49 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz864 View Post
pfffffffft.... Yeah. Whatever, perfessor...

Imitation............sincerest form of flattery.

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 03:16 AM
(#10)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
back to the ? at hand....................

is 10% mediocrity?

i would say NO.

EVERY live tourney i have ever played here in Florida pays out exactly 10%.

it even states it on their schedule...............

seems to work out fine for me.

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 03:25 AM
(#11)
Hip this is the Fastcurves stuff again. I actually pointed out that tazz was actually almost in the top FOUR percent for the month. And that's great. But there is more to this story than that.

He achieved that ranking,and the +206.53 points that were necessary to get there by playing 133 PSO's. That's not even 2 points per game.

Now come on hip,you've played here. I know you donked it quite a bit but you know what it takes to make points,or to lose them. 133 games---206.53 points. Now I ask you,mediocre or not?

Not one tournament hip--133 PSO's---$3. I personally think I was being charitable with mediocre.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 03:27 AM..

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 03:40 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
moxie .....i didn't read your reply on this thread before i posted my reply...( probably should have).........i thought that tazz was making a stab at the pretty much accepted payout field of 10% in ANY tournament u will play in ..live or online.....

i know what you were getting at though..........

is that many games worth a min cash? huh......

i think u know my answer.

shhhhhhhhhttttt...........i actually played 40 of them last month and was honestly surprised that i played that many. and i didn't even cash......lol

BUT....i got my warmup ticket.

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 03:47 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Hip this is the Fastcurves stuff again. I actually pointed out that tazz was actually almost in the top FOUR percent for the month. And that's great. But there is more to this story than that.

He achieved that ranking,and the +206.53 points that were necessary to get there by playing 133 PSO's. That's not even 2 points per game.

Now come on hip,you've played here. I know you donked it quite a bit but you know what it takes to make points,or to lose them. 133 games---206.53 points. Now I ask you,mediocre or not?

Not one tournament hip--133 PSO's---$3. I personally think I was being charitable with mediocre.
I guess it all depends on how one keeps score... Do you want to turn this into quality vs quantity again?? That horse is pretty dead. What about the mad time-management skills it takes to pull off that many tourneys in one month? THAT is so not mediocre--
Maybe that's why there are detractors... Guys (I mean that in the generic, androgenous sense of the word...) Jealousy is so ugly...

I'm just sayin...

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 04:14 AM
(#14)
Quote:
I guess it all depends on how one keeps score... Do you want to turn this into quality vs quantity again?? That horse is pretty dead. What about the mad time-management skills it takes to pull off that many tourneys in one month? THAT is so not mediocre--
Maybe that's why there are detractors... Guys (I mean that in the generic, androgenous sense of the word...) Jealousy is so ugly...

I'm just sayin...

Oooooooooookay,that's it tazz. You caught us all. We're jealous,that's what it is. Busted.

Dude (I mean that in a non-Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski way---you may enjoy White Russians,I don't know...),you're taking the quality vs.quantity argument here and inverting,twisting and bending it in so many different directions that it looks like Pres''s moral compass. What you did was quantity in a way to achieve a phyrric victory at best. Not much quality hear,as myself and others have tried to point out to you that achieving points up to these levels is no hard feat to accomplish. The "dead horse" quality-quantity argument was whether players who are occasionally on the very TOP of the Leaderboard deserve to be there if they played 100,125 135 or however many games,versus someone who plays 30,35,40 games or whatever and wins $30-50 bucks. The player with the lower payout will often average twice as many points per game as the higher ranked player. For myself I always came down on the side of I don't give a rat's ass. It's there to be played as much as you can,or want,to play and it's free.

But what I keep trying to get through to you here is that I think your time would be better served results AND improvement wise by playing the league "straight". Ask Jim,Dman,CoTe,effsea,myself, and a couple/few hundred others if PSO can and did improve our games. How does what you're doing improve yours? Are you advocating that someone should take what you're imparting here and go into the cash MTT/SNG arena and tank their ROI down to say -75% and then try to build it up to break even from there? Because that's the only type of practical application I see---"Hey, I'll teach you how to tank your BR on purpose and then win in back."

Sorry tazz,but I was always taught that good time-mangement means time WELL used,not purposely donning a PSO hairshirt the 1st half of the month just to see if you can bust your ass to accomplish---well,nothing really.

But hey,if it floats your boat then I'm happy for you. I tried.

Good luck with it this month.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:17 AM..

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 04:35 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
i take off my hairshirt halfway through.

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 04:36 AM
(#16)
BronzeStar
what's a hairshirt.....lol???

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 04:49 AM
(#17)
A shirt made of coarse animal hide,usually with the hair shorn but some of it still intact and bristly,that's worn against the skin so that it itches and chafes the wearer. Peeps in the olden days would wear them as a form of penance for their sins.

So I was implying that tazz is purposely making things hard on himself for no good purpose.

I get all metaphorical and shyt when I'm 3 sheets to the wind and ripping one to shreds with my cutlass like Errol Flynn in Captain Blood. See?

hiccup

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 06:50 AM
(#18)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:

I'm just sayin...
I know I am jealous! I am lucky to play 60-70 tourney range on a given month when I am giving PSO a true effort. My job allows me to play one or two a day most of the time. The mere thought of being able to play more than twice as many tourneys in a month......ahh the possibilities....

So with that said, I offer you a challenge Tazz. I challenge you to see which of us can finish higher in the league standings this month. I know you will get to play at least twice as many tourneys as me but that doesn't bother me. And how about whoever loses has to pay for the winner's entry into the PSO monthly this month.

And I completely understand Tazz if this kind of challenge scares you. You would need to show real effort to take on this challenge. I am never in that elusive top ten, but I know how to get to the top 100. Do you?

Just let me know either way Tazz. I don't make these kinds of prop bets normally but I am making a special exception for you.

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 08:17 AM
(#19)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
It's a shame that he won't take this bet Jim. It'd really ramp up the interest this month. I think he might get as many railtards as Isildur1

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 10:51 AM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguyjim View Post
Just let me know either way Tazz. I don't make these kinds of prop bets normally but I am making a special exception for you.
This took absolutely no mental energy to REJECT. If you never gave any credence to my challenge, why should I bother with yours?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com