Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Tired of PSO

Old
Tired of PSO - Thu Mar 03, 2011, 11:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Well, just got knocked out of my 4th game this month. Asking myself why I put up with this anymore. Really tired of it. Too many people that are not trying one bit to play good poker or better their game in any way. Too much frustration to keep this up. I try to let it go, but my "let go" has got up and went. It's break time for me.

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 11:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace King 61 View Post
Well, just got knocked out of my 4th game this month. Asking myself why I put up with this anymore. Really tired of it. Too many people that are not trying one bit to play good poker or better their game in any way. Too much frustration to keep this up. I try to let it go, but my "let go" has got up and went. It's break time for me.

I did the samething last month gonna try again this month and see how it goes

Old
?? - Thu Mar 03, 2011, 11:30 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
a break will do you good- and more importantly-- less harm in your other games-- !!!

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 12:01 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Ace I feel your pain.

I have been active in PSO since October and was proud of the fact every month I had improved my rank to a personal best in January of around 110.

I fully expected to break top 98 in February. but the Poker GODS just abused the hell out of me, I used the hand replayer to record my own personal hand history of pain (see below) These were back to back to back river suckouts in 3 straight PSO's that were just a small sample of a series of early exits that made me question why I bother with PSO. (after the third one with QQ, I did come very close to throwing my laptop thru a window).

Point is every one of us that takes PSO seriously will run into this at some point. I'm sure you know that but maybe that is yet another lesson PSO can teach us. Dealing with a seemingly endless string of bad beats is another skill to be learned.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=DBC7C31A0E

Last edited by freddysw; Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: HAND REPALYER

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 12:08 PM
(#5)
How many games do you play a day. My schedule varies as I am self employed and I do spend some time working at home.

When I used to play ever PSO I could a day I got really frustrated and had mixed results. Then I gave myself another strategy. If I was ITM I was done for the day. If got a really early knock out I was done for the day. I used to chase and chase trying to recoup those points but I just let it go for the day. If I just missed the money, got some positive points or a bit of negative ones, I'd sign up to play again.

This kind of discipline helps keep me having fun, and less on tilt. Don't get me wrong, yes some days I do work and am social with others offline, but I don't leave always leave pokerstars when I'm done for the day. Plenty other stuff to play, micro ring games, NAPL, Freerolls (I got a bunch of tix for weekend r2s) and especially if I'm on a bad streak, I hit the Razz freerolls. Or play Hi/lo games (Omaha and Stud) just to get my mind off of PSO.

It may not be a strategy to win this thing (still working on one to) but I have been building up my bankroll and having fun.

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 02:06 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Don't get me wrong. I'm not going anywhere. Just getting away from PSO league for a few days or so. Only so much that I can take playing with idiots...lol.

Old
I feel your pain - Mon Mar 07, 2011, 05:28 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:

I was totally looking forward to this new month since I took the time to get the 20 points to get qualified. Started the first two events a little slow, then got positive points in the next two so not doing to bad.....then you guessed it.....I get donked in the next 6 events and in the 7th I could not give a damn what happened and went all in with AQ and didnt care one way or another.....looks like the month is over early for me. And with all that said I am no longer interested in PSO because of all the players that DO NOT CARE about either learning how to play good poker. This is far from what PSO used to be. It used to be about learning and now its nothing more than a tool for poker stars to get more depositors. I know I am capable of getting into the free money, however unless I can go for the top 5 spots it is not worth my time or the frustration of the bad play from the ones who do not care or try.

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 06:29 PM
(#8)
Since: Nov 2010
Quote:
yeah, i feel your pain. i had to take a break from poker altogether to kind of clear the clutter. there were a few things i had to take care of personally, like realize that i had a family to take care of and couldn't spend my entire free time playing a game. time spent with them is more valuable than money...that is, at least for me. but i've come back and reprioritized my playing time. i've since had one of my highest finishes in a single POS tourney (28th...yeah, go ahead and flame...). taking a break is sometimes a very good thing...

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 09:49 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
The league as such has been a donk-fest for some time. I started the month with a view to playing enough to get a ticket for anything upcoming similar to the Warm Ups; but I think I have plummeted to about 4k the last time I looked.

I now spend a lot of time elsewhere where I actually see a return for my efforts.

MB

Old
tired of pso - Fri Mar 11, 2011, 11:52 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
I no exactly how you feel and this is how i combat it.Lets face it sometimes the mine field is large and navigating through it can be tough,you can lose a lot of limbs.So i take a step back depending on my mood either i take a day or 2 off from the pso and study poker or go and play other poker games that are simple and do not require a lot of thought such as badugi,razz and 2-7 lowball,lots of action in those games and a lot of fun.

Old
tired of pso - Fri Mar 11, 2011, 02:37 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
one other thing you can do which i forgot to mention is to change up the times you play,not that im being superstitious but sometimes i cannot win at that game at that time, for whatever reason bad players no cards etc,so i will stop playing at that start time and play the very 1st pso only or what ever time slot works for you best,good luck

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:48 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Pay more attention to your play and whether you were correct or not and you'll be learning and the results will follow. Too many people in the PSO tournament call out donk, often just based on one play. If you call an all in with AK, for example, you should realize that you are only a big favorite over weaker aces and a slight underdog to any pocket pair. So pay attention to your percentages and if you were the favorite going in then you made the right choice if the risk was acceptable.

Old
Thu Mar 17, 2011, 02:09 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
This is why Im advocating an advanced league. Take your lumps here, get better, then take it to the next level.

Old
My take.... - Sun Mar 20, 2011, 11:57 PM
(#14)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
1stMate08 staked me so I could qualify(thx agn),I did.I've certainly exp. plenty of the same hurdles(donks)whtevr...but to be honest,I expected it...Some good advice in not tryin to chase after losses(cash or pts)What I can say good about this exp.,is that I've made heads-up in my home game 4 wks straight,and it's no coincidence(spl chk).....this league has taught me how to lay down 2nd best, more often,and I CAN WIN FROM A SHORT STACK...HEHEHEHE....or at least place pretty well...when I avoid most of the first 3 levels,I can usually make pts....It's those DAMN BIG HANDS,early, that kick my F'ing ASS!!!!!!...of course,not all the time....and it's just so tempting w/SO plyrs(=4 or 5 hnded)and the calling stations/donks....what's an aggressive somewhat decent player to do??????????????????????????????.......Slow Down,Play Less,SURVIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
Wink
im out too - Wed Mar 23, 2011, 02:15 PM
(#15)
Since: Jan 2011
WhiteStar
I was at a table and all but two or three were sitting out just to get. Points also the play. Is terrible It's all about the money at the end of the month and how to manipulate your way into it one player who is in the top 15 this month runs the clock. out every time even if he his going to fold in hopes of someone busting and improving his points the pso is about learning and poker stars should plug the leaks. As for me I'm playing in Mico stakes mtt on full tilt and am doing mutch better cashing $300 + since February still like the idea of pso but it has to be reworked for me to come back

Old
That was probably me.... - Wed Mar 23, 2011, 03:30 PM
(#16)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon6262 View Post
I was at a table and all but two or three were sitting out just to get. Points also the play. Is terrible It's all about the money at the end of the month and how to manipulate your way into it one player who is in the top 15 this month runs the clock. out every time even if he his going to fold in hopes of someone busting and improving his points the pso is about learning and poker stars should plug the leaks. As for me I'm playing in Mico stakes mtt on full tilt and am doing mutch better cashing $300 + since February still like the idea of pso but it has to be reworked for me to come back
Guilty as charged....I'd apologize,if I were sorry.....but I was pretty sure that in poker;Manipulation,and Improving,were good things.Now if using all the time I'm allotted violates some rule,I missed it....Not that I'm advocating the strategy,but with so many impatient Donkeys/Bullies/General Idiots,willing to shove for the 1st few levels.Certainly,if I'm not a chip leader there's no advantage to my playing quicker...Of course later in the game,there's plenty of disadvantage,but if when you finish is going to impact both + & - ,then the only solution that would be reasonable,is shortening the clock.....And to be honest,if it's early, I'm short stacked,and blinds are low or several min. away,I'll continue to excersize"The Short Stack Shuffle"....My condolences, for torture inflicted....

Old
pso - Wed Mar 23, 2011, 05:10 PM
(#17)
WhiteStar
Running the clock is fine take your time make the right play run it out to improve your points in my opinion is wrong. We are in the league to learn there shouldn't be any benefit to a player who sits out the point is to learn and play in real world mtt get rid of the sitting outs. If I win. I want to because I played good poker not because sat my way into it if you register play and learn

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 06:29 PM
(#18)
WhiteStar
Lets get rid of the point system divide all the prize money into the pso mtt whoever. Has the most money. At the end of the month wins. This will go a long way to stop the BS players will need to gain. The skills. To reach the top. How to play the start middle. Bubble. And final table. Then get out and play some big poker. Not the pull. The handle and hope I hit

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 09:21 PM
(#19)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Running the clock is fine take your time make the right play run it out to improve your points in my opinion is wrong. Why? Are you not interested in your league position?

We are in the league to learn. No we're not. We're in the league to make money.

there shouldn't be any benefit to a player who sits out. There isn't. You will never make the higher levels of the league by doing this.

If I win. I want to because I played good poker not because sat my way into it. If you win, which you currently appear to have no chance of doing, it will be because you have understood and overcome the challenge that faces you in the PSO League. Something you will need to learn to do in whichever variant of this game you choose to play.
Good luck. You're gonna need it.

Old
Unhappy
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 12:10 AM
(#20)
Quote:
Where oh where do I even begin here? Such a target rich enviroment to take on this drivel. Aceking61,who is a pretty damn decent player,starts a thread in which he puts his frustration out there,bares a bit of his poker soul so to say. Does'nt slag the League off really,just states what many of us know,that yeah,this League can,for those of us who actually CARE about our performance in it,beat you down a little every now and then. Was'nt a bitch/moan fest so much as him just having to get his frustration out. He even later states that it's just a short break,he'll be back.

Some other solid players in this League come in to commiserate with how Ace is feeling,let him know that they feel what he's feeling,and yeah,they've been there to. They also say that despite the occasional frustrations they're still going to be here.

Then you come along moon,and use this thread as a place to throw it out there about how the players that do well seem to do it not because they can play poker to YOUR high standards,but because they are stalling and working the clock. Well guess what champ? As unpalatable and distasteful a strategy that may be,many in PSO do it for a very simple reason, IT WORKS. And manipulating every possible angle/advantage that you can,legally,is something that a winning player is going to do. You are given the same exact option to use or not use the same exact clock as every other player here. If you choose not to then you are ceding an edge to players that you are competing with for a standing at the end of the month,period. Some good players disagree on this point,and for themselves maybe they are right. For me I've tried it both ways in PSO and the use of the clock,given the parameters of what the REAL objectives are in PSO tournaments,is the right way to go,like it or not. And I may not know much about poker but I know enough to get that adaptability to different game conditions/objectives is a key trait to develope.

As to your claims of how well that you're doing on other sites,implying that it's not YOUR game that needs fixing,but that PSO needs to be fixed to suit YOUR whims,.............well there ARE tracking sites out there that would say different (all of them). But hey,good luck with your delusions. That's a great way to improve your game. Slagging off a free school and League where you might actually be able to learn a few key,basic principles,where players much better than you(and myself quite frankly) have openly said in this forum,time and again,that PSO has most definitely helped them improve their games,yeah,that's the way to go.

By the by,as of the latest update to the leaderboard when I was typing this,you've played 90 League games since you came aboard and have 63 negatives finishes--70%. Buddy,it ain't the clockers/stallers and sitters that are keeping you from achieving anything here. And if you understood jack-squat about this League then you would know that sitting out will NOT gain anyone anything vis-a-vis the leaderboard. the sitters are generally peeps trying to angle a penny in that individual PSO in which they are sitting. Sit,hope they get near the bubble,come in and shove ATC,and hope they hit once or twice. Viola,a shiny penny. Two and they can go play their .02 Turbo Hyperdonk tourney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt.quiver View Post
Guilty as charged....I'd apologize,if I were sorry.....but I was pretty sure that in poker;Manipulation,and Improving,were good things.Now if using all the time I'm allotted violates some rule,I missed it....Not that I'm advocating the strategy,but with so many impatient Donkeys/Bullies/General Idiots,willing to shove for the 1st few levels.Certainly,if I'm not a chip leader there's no advantage to my playing quicker...Of course later in the game,there's plenty of disadvantage,but if when you finish is going to impact both + & - ,then the only solution that would be reasonable,is shortening the clock.....And to be honest,if it's early, I'm short stacked,and blinds are low or several min. away,I'll continue to excersize"The Short Stack Shuffle"....My condolences, for torture inflicted....
Seeing as I've played on the same table as you a couple times in 90 man SNG's quiver (and seen some pretty good chops there IMO),I'm not at all surprised to see that,despite just coming aboard recently,you already have a grasp on PSO and how to play it. It does'nt mean it will work elsewhere,Hell they stress that in the new MTT course even,but again,adaptability...........goes a long way in poker.

Still a little creeped out by the Lars Ulrich as Robin Hood vibe tho..........

Quote:
Lets get rid of the point system divide all the prize money into the pso mtt whoever. Has the most money. At the end of the month wins. This will go a long way to stop the BS players will need to gain. The skills. To reach the top. How to play the start middle. Bubble. And final table. Then get out and play some big poker. Not the pull. The handle and hope I hit
So if I read this correctly (it's a chore admittedly....),you're advocating taking the $17,500 in Leaderboard prize money and dispersing it into the individual League games because you want there to be LESS bingo playing practiced in the tourneys?

Holy opposite intended effect Batman.

Genius,genius I says.................

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Thu Mar 24, 2011 at 12:13 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com