Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Odds calculators

Old
Odds calculators - Thu Mar 03, 2011, 07:05 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
Can some one please help me , I have read and watched the lesson on odds, I get the idea but this will take a long time and much experience is needed to quickly calculate odds. I do and will eventually learn it it is a must in your poker tool kit . I understand that there are some out there that do it for you and that these are in use on our site, so am I up against these calculators?If so then I am at a disadvantage when playing. is this cheating ??????

Old
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 10:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
It is not considered cheating since the information is there, you just haven't done the math. A lot of the software out there will at least calculate pot odds, number of outs, and the probability of a certain hand. It will also project what your opponent might have, based on the cards in the community. These are basic skills.

There are calculators on the internet that will do these calculations. Some are freeware, but you gets what you pays for. Some are good, others are more trouble than they are worth. The more popular ones have sophisticated calculations that will help you determine if betting is a good option, but none guarantee success. Those you pay a pretty penny to get, but players do swear by them, and others swear at them.

Old
Don't rely too much on---- - Thu Mar 17, 2011, 11:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
While calculating odds and probabilities is good and the calculators, charts etc. are useful tools
( there are lots of good books on poker math strategy etc.), good poker players rely on other
factors too.Consider opponents style of play, table position ,timing, relative chip stacks (is player to left on short stack and likely to do Hail Mary all-in -- sometimes thay hit). start - end - or -
middle of game to name just a few.
Take the following advice with some caution as I'm still a novice player.
There is one factor I consider ( nothing more than my opinion and style of play) and that is whether or not I can afford to invest too much money in a pot that I'm not reasonably sure that I can win. If I fold a hand there will be other pots but if I invest too much and lose then I'm either crippled or out of the game. This seems to work for me -- i win about 55% (or better?)of the pots I enter and I finish in the money about 60% of the time. Tight aggressive play works consistently but loose aggressive will not do so well (my opinion based upon observation aaand hard earned lessons)
I recently read a book by Barry Greenstein ( one of the best) and he as well as other top players will calculate the odds nad then do precisely opposite of what the books would tell them to do.
There are additional reasons to consider odds on P-Stars. I have seen many complaints from people who think that the site is rigged. I also felt that way for a while but I have since changed my mind and think that the program is flawed.If you play often enough I think that you will notice cycles in the hands dealt. I have noticed many statistical anomalies. I, therefore play many suppsedly strong cards a lot differently than I would probably the same cards elsewhere. I think there is probably an advantage to playing with the flaws since it is necessary to play to the unexpected.

Last edited by paulgregory6; Thu Mar 17, 2011 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: add info

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 11:44 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Read this thread.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...y-in-your-Head

Study Hard - Play Hard - Win Hard

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 01:09 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Hey there,

If you're talking about the basic odds and outs stuff as described in the PSO core course, well then thats really important to understand. Re read it as often as necessary. That and starting hand strengths was the first thing I forced myself to completely comprehend before going any further. The "shortcut" equation for calulating odds is really simple. If I'm being redundant, sorry. But you just take the number of outs there are after the flop and multily it by 2 and thats the percentage of that card hitting on the turn. Multiply by 4 and thats the odds of that card hitting on the turn or river. The outs are simply the cards that are not in your hand or on the table. i.e. If you have two jacks in your hand and your wondering and there are no jacks on the table from the flop, and you wanna know what are the chances of it landing on the turn, or landing on the turn or river...well there are 4 jacks in the deck, u have 2 there so the outs are 2, because there are 2 jacks out there. Again multiply by 2 for the odds itll hit on the turn (4%) and multiply by 4 to see if itll hit on the turn or the river (8%). So there's a 92% (100% minus 8%) chance u wont see another jack, or improving your hand (unless other possibilities exist). Another example, if you re holding two diamonds and two more appear on the flop, you need 1 more for a flush. There are 13 diamonds in a deck. Youre holding 2 theres 2 on the table so that leaves 9. So you have 9 outs .. x2 = 18% x4 =36%. Theres apprx. a 36% youll make your flush.

I also wrote down the strength of starting hands in categories on a "post it" and stuck it on my monitor when I first started playing seriously. It really helped me a lot by seeing how good a given hand really is. It helped me realize being out of position w/ an a8 and being re raised is a bad place to be, and that kj is not a monster hand.

anyway thats some of the first things i learned.

cheers and gl all. j.

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 01:28 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
oh sorry forgot to answer
no its not cheating, it only gives u information already being seen by everyone.
if u feel disadvantaged you can download it for free for 90 days. i downloaded pokertracker3, but dont use it for decision making during a tourney or ring game. theres another major one people use forgot the name. i think i googled "hud " to find them.
-j.

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 10:14 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannfl View Post
oh sorry forgot to answer
no its not cheating, it only gives u information already being seen by everyone.
if u feel disadvantaged you can download it for free for 90 days. i downloaded pokertracker3, but dont use it for decision making during a tourney or ring game. theres another major one people use forgot the name. i think i googled "hud " to find them.
-j.

The other biggie is Holdem Manager. There is also a series of "Indicator" programs. Poker Tracker 3 offers 90-day free trial, Holdem Manager offers 15 days, and those like "Tournament Indicator," have a 2-week trial. These evaluation periods have some limitations on their software, but should allow you sufficient information to determine if this is right for you.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com