Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

A funny thing happened on the way to the Colosseum

Old
A funny thing happened on the way to the Colosseum - Fri Mar 04, 2011, 01:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2007
So I played early in the PSO league today and I made the money; hurrah so I got some points!

Nevertheless, something just happened, in the last 45 minutes of play before the money, that has heightened my curiosity.

I had made a decision to keep folding to the money unless I got an absolute monster, because I had calculated that I just had about enough chips to do so. Also I started running down the clock to assist in this. Admittedly, I was more donkey than man and I could have got to safety and even into contention to win if I had played the hands I normally play.

Firstly, I noticed that Bodog was on the table and even shorter stacked than I was, and he did play one hand in that time. However, I noticed that he kept timing out and he was sitting out for a microsecond but then he came immediately back. I did not think much of this at the beginning, but then I noticed it happening with another player as well.

Strange, I thought. Then, it got even more strange. A guy I had been playing with and chatting to was in good shape and he sat out for a while. The big blind came round to him, and everyone folded to the small blind, who just happened to be the other guy who was running the clock, sitting out and coming back automatically.

All he had to do was call and lift the blinds and antes: but instead he timed out,he folded and he came back automatically.

WTF? I thought. Why did you just not lift the blinds?

Now, maybe there is a rational explanation, maybe there is some software or something that just lets you run the clock, fold and come back automatically. Maybe, it is entirely legitimate to use this software. I don't know.

Could someone provide some clarification or unravel what is going on in this instance because I am a bit dim on the technical side of things?

Thanks in advance,

TC

Last edited by topthecat; Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 01:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
When their timer runs out their hand is automatically folded and they are sat out IF the poker table window is not currently active (like they are in the middle of checking their email or making a bet at another table). I think that is how it works anyways. Once they are sat out they click sit back in or whatever. They are trying to maximize the amount of time they can stall without using their time bank. Why didnt he just pick up the BB? Probably wasn't even paying attention. Not much to think about when all you do is fold. Watching TV or something while screwing himself over at the tables. Not too smart...

Old
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 02:05 PM
(#3)
Rockerguy, do you know that movie Dumb and dumber?

I should be in it.

I just realised as I was shaving before heading out that that is the way the Pokerstars software works. If you have not selected sitting out you will come back automatically if you are not at the computer and logged in for the game.

Not only was I a donkey today but also a dumbass.

TC

Last edited by topthecat; Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 02:09 PM..

Old
?? - Fri Mar 04, 2011, 02:08 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Yes- they are stalling- to ladder up- yet u MUST clic - i am back-- button to become active again-- why do they stall-- cause they are CHICKEN- chicken i say-- chicken kiev, chicken frickasee, chicken cordon blue, roasted chicken, stuffed chicken,KFC-- CHICKENS- the lot of em'--to play poker--chicken i say -- just plain ol' chicken---------

Old
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 02:13 PM
(#5)
You are right monkey.

You have to hit I'm back, which dispels my other theory as well.

Jesus, god knows what I will do in the pub tonight, probably head into the Ladies after 4 or 5 pints as I usually do.

Old
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 02:14 PM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Yep, the SB just wasn't paying attention. Or didn't understand that the blinds were free with the BB sitting out. One or the other.

Another player not paying attention was the button. If ever there was a free money steal opportunity, it was raising these 2 blinds.

Old
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 02:32 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Yep, the SB just wasn't paying attention. Or didn't understand that the blinds were free with the BB sitting out. One or the other.

Another player not paying attention was the button. If ever there was a free money steal opportunity, it was raising these 2 blinds.
I totally agree.

Also, if I can get cards, I'll basically never use my clock, BUT, when I don't get any cards, I'll use it and whatever else I can to get as many points as I can. It's always better when you do get some cards to play, but it won't always happen and in those, all you can do is to use whatever you have at your disposal.

Old
?? - Fri Mar 04, 2011, 02:50 PM
(#8)
Chicken and rice, chicken and dumplings- southern fried chicken, chicken soup, chicken salad sandwich-- plain ol' chicken i i say -- the lot of em'---

Old
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 03:01 PM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskunk4 View Post
Chicken and rice, chicken and dumplings- southern fried chicken, chicken soup, chicken salad sandwich-- plain ol' chicken i i say -- the lot of em'---

BWAK BWAK !!!. -shark. aka, Who am I? Chick, Chick, Chicken!!!, Chicken!!!, Chicken!!!

Old
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 04:40 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2010
I was watching 2 tables last night while playing on another one. I was the only one at my table running the clock to the almost limit. we played 18 hands of poker while the table that IICoteII
was on only played 9 and the other table played 11. both those tables had 3 or 4 players running the clock. that means to me that i was putting in 2 BB to thier 1. so they definetly were at an advantage in that thier chips are going to last longer. i don't see anything wrong with this in
the type of game we play on pso were every one is looking to make points.

Old
?? - Fri Mar 04, 2011, 04:49 PM
(#11)
chicken pot pie, chicken fingers, chicken flavored turkey, smoked chicken, stuffed chicken, just plain chicken-- the lot of ya -- i say-- plain ol' chicken--

Old
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 04:51 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi128 View Post
I was watching 2 tables last night while playing on another one. I was the only one at my table running the clock to the almost limit. we played 18 hands of poker while the table that IICoteII
was on only played 9 and the other table played 11. both those tables had 3 or 4 players running the clock. that means to me that i was putting in 2 BB to thier 1. so they definetly were at an advantage in that thier chips are going to last longer. i don't see anything wrong with this in
the type of game we play on pso were every one is looking to make points.
WTF? You see nothing wrong w/ this?????? Cote sitting w/ 2 other clock runners. If one of those runners was not me. I see something very wrong w/ this. Cote should never be allowed to sit w/ other clockers. That guy is just too good be be giving this kind of advantage too. NO WAY JOSE!!!. Players that play good poker and run the clock should all be banned. ie Cote, Taxi128, JWK, and the list goes on an on...... (forgive me if I left you off the list) U all know who you are. LOL, GL to all you great poker players. Sheeeez. And steal my only gimmick to score some $$. -shark

Old
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 04:54 PM
(#13)
There are some software programmes that automatically sit you back in if you time out, and they are allowed by pokerstars.

I think one is Table Ninja, but I am not sure.

I noticed this phenomenon a few months ago when playing a Ring Table, and asked the person who seemed to be timing out and coming back in very quickly, why he did this ?

His answer was that he was multitabling and the software that he used allowed him to ignore hands that were not worth playing, without having to pre-click the fold button, and it would automatically re- seat him for the next hand.

This would also allow you to sit out (without actually sitting out, so to speak) and still be eligible for the FPP and VPP's

Old
?? - Fri Mar 04, 2011, 04:57 PM
(#14)
oh dude rudy- rudeboyphx-- was clock stallin long b4 you my fine feathered--_______--

chicken fried rice- chicken alfredo, just plain ol chicken i say-- the lot of ya---

good day bill c-- best wishes i send to you and the missus--!!! cheers --S.

Last edited by monkeyskunk4; Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: sayin hi to the nicest man on the site !

Old
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 05:05 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Curran View Post
There are some software programmes that automatically sit you back in if you time out, and they are allowed by pokerstars.

I think one is Table Ninja, but I am not sure.

I noticed this phenomenon a few months ago when playing a Ring Table, and asked the person who seemed to be timing out and coming back in very quickly, why he did this ?

His answer was that he was multitabling and the software that he used allowed him to ignore hands that were not worth playing, without having to pre-click the fold button, and it would automatically re- seat him for the next hand.

This would also allow you to sit out (without actually sitting out, so to speak) and still be eligible for the FPP and VPP's

Darn u bill!!! Now you tell me this? U couldn't have told me in vent the other day???? what was that site?? tablechicken? fingerfoods? oh yeah table ninja. I'll google it. Nice to know. It really in not against ToS? -shark

Old
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 08:29 PM
(#16)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/prohibited/

Old
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 08:34 PM
(#17)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
tableninja is not illegal

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com