Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

MTT Late Stage Reship - Close Call?

Old
MTT Late Stage Reship - Close Call? - Sat Mar 05, 2011, 03:50 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
I played a $2 MTT earlier this morning just as a bit of a refresher while I continue trying to build my roll back up elsewhere. This hand came up about two hands after the bubble burst. I had no reads, as I'd just been moved. In my opinion, it was the toughest spot I'd been in all tourney, because the hand I got dealt was just marginal for my spot. Not good, not bad, and I didn't really have the luxury of just calling to play a post-flop game anymore. I decided that it was a good reship, and I dragged the slider and pressed the button. Any comments? Good play or bad play? I'm not too math-smart on this kind of play, so I'm not sure it was good.

Edit: The replayer reads that the preflop action ended with my reship. I meant to leave out any folds/calls/raises behind me, so I cut out that part. The replayer isn't glitched, I just chopped that part of the text. There may or may not have been more action behind me.

Thanks!

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Sat Mar 05, 2011 at 03:53 PM..

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 04:06 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2010
hand re player isnt working but i would have 3 bet in thart spot and contemplated my decision after that

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 04:36 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by antlovesang1 View Post
hand re player isnt working but i would have 3 bet in thart spot and contemplated my decision after that
Replayer works for me. Just ignore everything after my shove.

It should be noted that when I shoved, I had an M of less than 5 (although my stack was above the tournament average). Had I called with my tens, I would have been committing something like 15-20% of my stack, so that's why I decided to reship instead of call. Just 3betting would not have been enough, since I would have been committed to the pot regardless of the size of my raise, so I just jammed it.

Really, I'm just wondering if the decision to jam instead of folding was quality good, capital thinking.

If the replay doesn't work for anyone else, I'll just post the HH in another format. Let me know...

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 04:49 PM
(#4)
hand history would be good yes

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 05:00 PM
(#5)
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 2.2 Tournament, 600/1200 Blinds 150 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB (t20892)
BB (t7600)
UTG (t28839)
UTG+1 (t32563)
MP1 (t16422)
Panicky (MP2) (t15318)
MP3 (t20465)
CO (t26414)
Button (t21701)

Panicky's M: 4.86

Preflop: Panicky is MP2 with 10, 10
UTG bets t2400, 2 folds, Panicky raises to t15168 (All-In)

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 05:03 PM
(#6)
still doesnt show oponents hands or the flop etc lol

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 05:23 PM
(#7)
That's the point. I went all-in preflop.

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 05:37 PM
(#8)
you got a caller right??? well from what i saw utg min raise correct?

personally i would have 3 bet maybe twice his min raise but if this is anywhere near to the bubble i dont know if it is or not i would have contemplating a fold most raises utg are usually an indicator of a really strong hand for monster hands i assume he had aa or kk right??

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 06:35 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
you're only ahead of 1 stack left in and need chips. Personally, I'd have probably raised 3X his bet... but can easily see a push here too. I'd be hoping for a lower pair, but would probably put them on 2 overcards.

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 06:35 PM
(#10)
I think this is a good play, with an M of 4 and the 5th or 6th best hand in hold em' (depending on how you value AKs)I think its time to gamble. 8's and 9's are probably in his range, as well as plenty of high unpaired hands AJ, AQ, AK...So your ahead a good deal of the time. You will fold out the low end of his range, which at this point in the tournament is not a bad thing, I would be happy to pick up 5,000 chips if he folds. The only bad thing is if he calls your probably a coin flip at best. But I think you will get him to fold enough that this is a good play.

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 06:37 PM
(#11)
I might have gotten a caller. I might not have. The point is, was my shove a good one? I figured my tens carried enough equity to jam it. Dunno if that was the case, though.

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 06:40 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidInFull6 View Post
I think this is a good play, with an M of 4 and the 5th or 6th best hand in hold em' (depending on how you value AKs)I think its time to gamble. 8's and 9's are probably in his range, as well as plenty of high unpaired hands AJ, AQ, AK...So your ahead a good deal of the time. You will fold out the low end of his range, which at this point in the tournament is not a bad thing, I would be happy to pick up 5,000 chips if he folds. The only bad thing is if he calls your probably a coin flip at best. But I think you will get him to fold enough that this is a good play.
One of the complicating factors was my position. There were a good handful of people behind me. I figured I could get worse (AK, AQ) to call, and obviously better was probably calling too, but I agree there was enough in his range to give me fold equity. But if somebody behind woke up with a better hand, then I could be cooked two ways rather than just the one.

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 06:49 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
One of the complicating factors was my position. There were a good handful of people behind me. I figured I could get worse (AK, AQ) to call, and obviously better was probably calling too, but I agree there was enough in his range to give me fold equity. But if somebody behind woke up with a better hand, then I could be cooked two ways rather than just the one.
That is true, but at this point you don't have chips to wait much longer, the blinds are going to hit you in a few hand, so if you don't win a hand your going to be in even worse shape chip wise. I think its a stack size decision, your stack may be above avg but it is small relative to the blinds. You have a hand good enough to play and considering your stack size I would make the same play in your position.

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 06:55 PM
(#14)
I am interested to know what happened in this hand?

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 07:22 PM
(#15)
One of the blinds called with jacks. UTG folded, JJ held up. I mincashed.

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 07:25 PM
(#16)
so you were itm?? if so then yes a shove is deffo the correct play

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 08:40 PM
(#17)
Well I think you made the right play. You got unlucky someone woke up with JJ.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com