no about the same 7 46.67%
Some what Better 2 13.33%
Forget them, think about me, myself, and I 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
why do bad players play - Sat Mar 05, 2011, 11:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
You know it doesn't make sense to me since If your not good at something to keep doing the same things (That aren't working)...You know When I first started playing the pso games, I thought the players were decent, and that my hubble game days were over, well not so much really, cuz these players are the exact same as the hubbles players, shit they might even be worse (and I have no clue how that's even possible, but it is), I joined this Pso to gain/learn/improve my game, but my points don't go up, heck, my confidence ain't rising, and last of all, I can't even control my anger no more at the tables, so why the **** am I putting myself through all this stress for what reason????

I'll tell you why cuz I want to be better then I was yesterday, but it's the same story day in and day out, AA cracked, KK cracked, Sets Smashed, So I don't know what it is about me playing wrong at the tables (For crying out loud), I'm playing tighter then a virgin at the tables, and I'm still getting smashed, So I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what...I'm playing my big hands strong, I mean What must I do? Shove All In preflop with KK/AA/QQ, what?

Someone Help

Old
Sat Mar 05, 2011, 11:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
If you're doing badly, check your attitude. Maybe you're just tilted and seeing more losses than wins, and throwing your perception of the game off. You can also check your play by watching winning players play, or by educating yourself by watching live training videos.

It takes a long time to become a good player, and new players begin here all the time. There will always be bad players around, so if you plan on staying, you might as well get used to them. I've been playing for six months, and I still consider myself pretty bad. I put in a lot of effort learning, and hours of practice every day of the week, but I'm still playing micro limit games with a break-even ROI at best. It's not easy being good. Most people aren't.

Old
Sun Mar 06, 2011, 12:21 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
You also have to keep in mind that these are freerolls. A great place to work on your game but many of the others are here for a chance at a penny. Raises are not respected and some people call with nothing, chase everything, and many times hit their bingo. Frustrating for sure. That is why most of the top 100 on the leaderboard do not play poker. Stall and fold and shove with a monster. Not the best poker tactics but the "skill" league is about survival for points. If you are going to try to play poker in this league you need to be prepared for more than your share of bad beats because even if a maniac gets knocked off of your table more often then not he is replaced by another one with an even bigger chip stack then the first one. Best of luck this month.

Old
Sun Mar 06, 2011, 06:32 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdi122 View Post
You know it doesn't make sense to me since If your not good at something to keep doing the same things (That aren't working)...You know When I first started playing the pso games, I thought the players were decent, and that my hubble game days were over, well not so much really, cuz these players are the exact same as the hubbles players, shit they might even be worse (and I have no clue how that's even possible, but it is), I joined this Pso to gain/learn/improve my game, but my points don't go up, heck, my confidence ain't rising, and last of all, I can't even control my anger no more at the tables, so why the **** am I putting myself through all this stress for what reason????

I'll tell you why cuz I want to be better then I was yesterday, but it's the same story day in and day out, AA cracked, KK cracked, Sets Smashed, So I don't know what it is about me playing wrong at the tables (For crying out loud), I'm playing tighter then a virgin at the tables, and I'm still getting smashed, So I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what...I'm playing my big hands strong, I mean What must I do? Shove All In preflop with KK/AA/QQ, what?

Someone Help
Probably two issues here Abdi.

Firstly the PSO league itself, a combination of factors make play in the league unique to say the least, if you are playing it to make monthly bucks, scrap ABC poker, select a consistent top finisher and watch them and learn the system they play. Note that this does not transfer well into general poker play so learn it as a seperate skill set.

If you are playing to learn general poker I would say its unique nature makes it a poor place to learn, too many ultra tight players playing the system and too many ultra loose players capitalising on the system players tightness. It will teach you patience and recognising which players are maniacs and which are nits, but it will teach you very little else.

Secondly it is a fact that poker played online is a different animal to that played live, the main reason being that play online is generally a lot looser than it is live with players willing to enter pots with any two cards and then bet them down to showdown with nothing but a high card hand.

Playing text book ABC or ZYX poker is effective against players of an equal or better knowledge and skill base to yourself, however against a table full of very loose players it can be restrictive, in ring games you can at least move tables to something better suiting yourself, in MTT's and SnG's you're stuck in your seat and you have to learn to adapt and modify ABC to ADG on occasions.

The problems you are encountering are common to all playing online, opponents who are not observant and don't recognise you only enter a pot with premium or strong hands, opponents who don't respect raises and who's concept of pot odds has more to do with cannabis than poker, opponents who because they bluff consistently believe everyone else does, opponents who will play any two cards and bet them all the way to the river hoping to get lucky, the list goes on.

These players are to be found at all levels online from freerolls to $100+ buy ins, there is no easy solution, no fool proof way to play these characters, no text book will provide an answer, it is a matter of playing a solid game, learning to read who the maniacs are and take extensive notes on what cards you see them holding at showdowns, choosing the right hand, position and time to go up against them and then the rest is down to the deal.

In the long term you will profit from these players, it is cold comfort knowing that when your pocket aces have hit a set on the flop and been crushed by a runner runner straight from a 95o call to your all in, but that again is all part of learning poker, taking the beats and not letting them effect your game.

The hardest players to table against are the very poor or the very good, the very poor will reward you big style when you finally catch them out, the very good will rarely be so generous.

Old
Sun Mar 06, 2011, 08:52 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2007
Bogweed, you are a gem sir.

One of the best and most insightful replys that I have read on this site. Playing the PSO way does not translate too well into the real world, that is true, but this paragragh is the holy grail of poker:

Quote:
These players are to be found at all levels online from freerolls to $100+ buy ins, there is no easy solution, no fool proof way to play these characters, no text book will provide an answer, it is a matter of playing a solid game, learning to read who the maniacs are and take extensive notes on what cards you see them holding at showdowns, choosing the right hand, position and time to go up against them and then the rest is down to the deal.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com