Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

New to PSO and need advice

Old
New to PSO and need advice - Sun Mar 06, 2011, 11:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
I am new to PSO but have been playing for several years. I have noticed a big improvement in my play especially in tourneys but still have a long way to go. It seems I do ok in the beginning of a tourney but have run into a wall at certain points near the end. I get good starting hands (AK, AQ, QQ, etc.) but always get outdrawn in the end (lots of calling stations nowadays). I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to the best way to overcome this "wall". I have gone from finishing early to finishing within top 300.

Old
Sun Mar 06, 2011, 11:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxPoker2007 View Post
I am new to PSO but have been playing for several years. I have noticed a big improvement in my play especially in tourneys but still have a long way to go. It seems I do ok in the beginning of a tourney but have run into a wall at certain points near the end. I get good starting hands (AK, AQ, QQ, etc.) but always get outdrawn in the end (lots of calling stations nowadays). I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to the best way to overcome this "wall". I have gone from finishing early to finishing within top 300.

Take that "AQ" hand out of good starting hands. Then play the others slower. Let others make mistakes and fold when you feel you are behind.

JT

Old
Sun Mar 06, 2011, 12:25 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
Thanks for your reply. I have been reading the info on the PSO site and realized that most of the troubles I have been running into is on the back end of an upswing so I am being overconfident with those hands. Instead of actually looking at everything, I am looking at it as if I can't do wrong on them. I will try this today and see how things go. Again, thanks for the advice!

Old
Sun Mar 06, 2011, 02:35 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree with JT... you need to play a little tighter early and also play slower (don't push too often before you've seen all the cards on the board).

You'll want to loosen up later in them, but the first hour you need to play only premium hands.

Old
Sun Mar 06, 2011, 03:55 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
The first hour of PSO the single most important button is the Fold button. As you get closer to the + points cut-off and a negative finish will be nominal you can begin to open up.

Remember,the points you DON'T lose in a PSO when the cards just are'nt coming (this will happen often) are just as important as the points you gain when things run well.

Treat PSO's as a satellite is the best advice I can give you.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:33 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Welcome to the pso and the forum Tex!

When you are getting in that 300 range, you're also, somewhat, approaching the bubble. Many players who have a decent stack at this point will begin to get aggressive and loose as they know this can be a good time to pick up tentative players' chips. Many players are just trying to make it itm here and are willing to fold a lot. I suggest staying patient in these situations, and know that when you do hit those monsters...they'll be there to pay ya' off.

Take care, never stop learning, and best o' luck out there.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com