Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Women's section /

I was called a Donkey! Is it true?

Old
Question
I was called a Donkey! Is it true? - Sun Mar 06, 2011, 08:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I'm not really sure exactly what a donkey is, but know it isn't an endearing term!
I had K9h, flop came Ah, 9c, 10h. Guy moved all in on the Ac turn. I called him and made my flush on the river. He had Ad and 8s.
Am I a donkey for calling him or was he just mad? If I did make a donkey play, can you explain why?

Old
Donkeys - Sun Mar 06, 2011, 08:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
I wouldn't worry about it, it was kind of a loose call, but you had a nut flush draw. He had you beat till you hit you flush on the river, but that's poker. I've made worse calls and I'm sure I will again.

So grow a thick skin and carry on, you can't worry about what other people think, just play your game and have fun.

Good luck!!

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 08:21 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
ya it depends on stack sizes and previous play but in that round you did pretty good. Dont worry about it, a donkey would go all in with k9 before flop

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:05 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
It really depends on what the pot size/stack sizes are and your price to call.

If you're calling off half of your stack on a nut flush draw on the turn, its a pretty bad call.
If he goes all in with less than a pot sized bet and you will still have a decent sized stack if you lose its a pretty good call.

Going all in with the A 8, unless you have less than a pot sized bet or are really short stacked is the worst move here I would say. The only calls you are going to get from that are Aces that have you beat or value flush draws. He was probably only expecting you to call if you had the better ace. When you showed something different, because it wasn't what he expected he threw around the word that everyone calls everyone else when they make a questionable call.

I got called a donk for betting 2.5x UTG with K9 suited. (I got some short stack to lay down JJ and he followed me around for the rest of the tourney calling me a donk because I showed K9 after everyone folded.) Obviously that isn't a hand that should be played early, but everyone at that table expected me to have AQs or better because thats all I got dealt for 100+ hands. So I figured I would try and scoop with the K9 and really didn't expect to get called and if I got raised I would just fold it off. But this guy just couldn't wrap his head around playing K9 early.

Long story short, sometimes you just have to play right. If everyone played exactly like the book, no would ever win.

Last edited by SarasinJ1790; Tue Mar 08, 2011 at 12:09 PM..

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 01:15 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
It is not a good starting hand.. next time we need to know what seat u were in. Don't sweat it.

Old
Wed Mar 09, 2011, 11:28 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinass View Post
I'm not really sure exactly what a donkey is, but know it isn't an endearing term!
I had K9h, flop came Ah, 9c, 10h. Guy moved all in on the Ac turn. I called him and made my flush on the river. He had Ad and 8s.
Am I a donkey for calling him or was he just mad? If I did make a donkey play, can you explain why?
erin as tex mentioned we need more info like stack sizes and position and if you have any read on this player. You say he shoved it in but what does that mean did he have a big stack or a small stack? But the way it looks I will simply say his shove is a weak move because any A9+ has him crushed. There is a straight and flush draw out there and you have so many outs if you have any of that! Your call was very light but his shove was imo a typical example of a player thinking a pr of aces is gold! In addition scared players do this alot by shoving to get you off that same draw.
If you can add what your stack sizes and betting was that would help alot

Gidee Up!

Old
Wed Mar 09, 2011, 08:01 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
I don't remember exact stack sizes, but even if I had lost, I would still have had a pretty decent stack. The opponent had been trying to bluff a lot that night and I figured he was trying it again! He was on BB and I was on button. One other player in hand folded after the flop.
I probably would have folded had he not been playing so loose all night.

Old
Donkey calling - Fri Apr 01, 2011, 09:15 PM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2011
WhiteStar
You won the pot, and the opponent was mad and probably embrassed. Never second guess yourself and don't let name calling change your play. Remember donkeys have to win sometime too!!!

Old
Wed Jun 22, 2011, 03:52 PM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2009
BronzeStar
On the contrary - always second guess yourself. Here you had a flush draw with 1 card to come... unless your pot odds were 5:1 or better (that is there were at least 5 chips in the pot to every 1 you were calling) this call was mathematically incorrect and -eV in the long run.

So yes, it was a donkey play in the sense that a solid player wouldn't make it.

BTW - PokerStove analysis

44 games 0.005 secs 8,800 games/sec

Board: Ah 9c Th Ac
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 18.182% 18.18% 00.00% 8 0.00 { Kh9h }
Hand 1: 81.818% 81.82% 00.00% 36 0.00 { Ad8s }

Last edited by jf70; Wed Jun 22, 2011 at 03:56 PM..

Old
Thu Jun 23, 2011, 01:46 AM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2010
What's really donkey is bumping a 2 and 1/2 month old thread to call someone's play donkey...

...especially considering erin was/is a US player so most likely isn't around to see your analysis anyway.

Be alert!!! (The world needs more lerts).

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com