Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Critique on this hand

Old
Critique on this hand - Mon Mar 07, 2011, 08:44 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Did I play this correctly or miss something? Not worried about losing if I played it right, any comments would help me alot. Thank you ahead of time.

Table '368288712 116' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat Seat 1: zupac7 (260 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 2: RalMil (3285 in chips)
Seat 3: Ninja2042 (3770 in chips)
Seat 4: ihius (3540 in chips)
Seat 5: smokeymonkey (3300 in chips)
Seat 6: defaultPUPPY (3170 in chips)
Seat 7: DerViking (2510 in chips)
Seat 8: abenz41984 (3760 in chips)
Seat 9: UncleSchoons (2135 in chips)
zupac7: posts the ante 25
RalMil: posts the ante 25
Ninja2042: posts the ante 25
ihius: posts the ante 25
smokeymonkey: posts the ante 25
defaultPUPPY: posts the ante 25
DerViking: posts the ante 25
abenz41984: posts the ante 25
UncleSchoons: posts the ante 25
zupac7: posts small blind 125
RalMil: posts big blind 250
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RalMil [3c Jd]
Ninja2042: folds
ihius: calls 250
smokeymonkey is disconnected
smokeymonkey is connected
smokeymonkey has timed out while being disconnected
smokeymonkey: folds
smokeymonkey is sitting out
defaultPUPPY: folds
DerViking: folds
abenz41984: calls 250
UncleSchoons: folds
zupac7: folds
smokeymonkey is disconnected
RalMil: checks
*** FLOP *** [3d 4h Jc]
RalMil: bets 250
ihius: raises 750 to 1000
abenz41984: folds
RalMil: calls 750
*** TURN *** [3d 4h Jc] [Kh]
RalMil: checks
ihius: bets 1500
RalMil: raises 510 to 2010 and is all-in
ihius: calls 510
*** RIVER *** [3d 4h Jc Kh] [9h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RalMil: shows [3c Jd] (two pair, Jacks and Threes)
ihius: shows [Kc Kd] (three of a kind, Kings)
ihius collected 7120 from pot
RalMil finished the tournament in 572nd place

Old
?? - Mon Mar 07, 2011, 09:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Well -i am probably goin broke on this hand also-2 limpers to your BB -and J3 isnt the best to raise with to get any info-- and it is a great flop for you- to punish the fool slo-playin a monster- is easy to say this AFTER- when he repopped your post flop bet- i am hoping he was doin exactly that with the over pair- only way i could get away from this is to some how put him on a set 3 or set 4- when the turn comes a K- you still had 2010 left- so now your 2 pair not lookin so good against a limpers range- like KJ K4s K3- so maybe could got away there- you had fold equity-- gl- monk--

Last edited by monkeyskunk4; Mon Mar 07, 2011 at 09:20 AM..

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 10:54 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Thank you

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 08:00 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Well this is a tough call, cause on paper you can say one thing but being in the hand and seeing how the oppenent plays you can go the other way with it.

However, assuming you just joined the table and have no information on the opposing player, there was one sign that you didn't pick up on, and that was the re-raise after the flop. Prior to this point with your raise you had $525 invested in the hand and your looking at 2 pair. It is not a bad hand really it isn't, but it is also not that great of a hand from a strength standpoint. at your post-flop raise you really should have been thinking about weather or not you wanted to get all your chips in the middle as any raise puts you over 10% of your bankroll. When your opponent re-raised you, you should have pushed all in at that point if you were willing to commit chips.

This probley would not have changed the outcome of the hand going against pocket kings and a player that was willing to push all in with them.

However, an all-in push at his re-raise may force a fold from a weaker player. In this case I don't see that you did anything wrong per-se, just that you could have played it a little better.

But honestly I can see myself playing that hand with the same outcome. Thats why it is called "gambling" and not "give me all your money"

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 08:24 PM
(#5)
Deleted user
I dont like your call on the flop.You set it up perfect for a c/r by min-betting the flop.
Calling is wrong since you are in trouble when he hits a favorable card.34J is a board that misses most people unless they have trips.So when he raises he is telling you he is either bluffing based on your bet on flop or he has a overpair.It could be AJ but most of the time it isnt.
So either shove or fold flop but dont call.

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 10:18 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Thanks Monkey, Maverick and Dirty. Your input is very helpful.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com