Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Micro 6-Max Cash: Rivered Str8, Paired Board, Call or Raise?

Old
Micro 6-Max Cash: Rivered Str8, Paired Board, Call or Raise? - Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
So, no real reads on the villain, besides the fact that I've been at the table for about 20 minutes, and they have yet to touch any of my money. Not overtly bad, but not over-my-head good either. Basically, this was a drawing hand I was dealt. I'm looking for analysis of my river action, but feel free to talk about any other part you want to. The flop raise is something else of interest. It actually worked really well, all things considered, but I don't completely know what I was doing or why I did it. It just happened.

Anyway, on the river, I made a straight. The board was paired though, and I just didn't read the villain for a boat. Made no sense to me that they'd have one, but I've thought that before and been wrong, so I made the cautious decision to call the river. What the villain had might surprise you... or it might not. Was my river action good, or should I have gone with my inner poker pro and made a value raise on the river?

Again, if you've read this far, then

If you comment, then even more

Thanks!

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:26 PM
(#2)
And if you happened to have read this before I edited it, then ignore the bit about check-raising. It's true that I'm not an expert at doing it, but I just remembered this hand wrong and thought I'd check-raised. Not enough sleep last night.

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:58 PM
(#3)
The lack of sleep has lead me to attain a greater propensity for bumping my own posts.

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 03:09 PM
(#4)
BUMP

BUMP

BUMP

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 03:29 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I would raise the river. Looks like a pretty standard raise/fold to me.

Since he raised out of position pre the only hand we're really worried about is KK. He bet/calls the flop, this is consistent with AK, AA, KQs, maybe a pair under the K like QQ/JJ. This is assuming a normal preflop raising range, if you've been playing this table for 20 min saying you have no read is unacceptable. At the very least, you haven't noticed him in 20 minutes which tells me he isn't doing anything crazy or overly stupid (or you would have noticed him), which implies a normal preflop raising range here. Not the most rock solid of reads but it's something reasonable to go on.

He checks the turn, maybe a slow play with KK or maybe caution with any of the other flop hands he bet/called with due to your raising him. After you check back the turn, he makes a .16c bet into a .44c pot on the river. This looks like a blocking bet to me, which most likely indicates a moderate strength made hand. If you raise, he'll probably fold QQ/JJ type hands (although sometimes they get curious and make a hero call). He'll call with AK, KQ, AA, and he'll 3b with KK, 77, or 44 (although 44 and to a lessor extent 77 may not be in his preflop raising range from the SB). There are WAY more combos of AK, KQ, and AA than there are of KK/77/44, so we can raise for value. Assuming a standard villain in micros will never reraise with AA for value or turn KQ into a bluff, he should only be reraising us on the river with a full house or quads. So, without additional info, I'm going with raise/fold.

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 03:36 PM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
BUMP

BUMP

BUMP
A little panicky bumping every hour eh?

Patience is an important trait for a poker player to learn.

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 03:52 PM
(#7)
Alright. Raise/folding didn't register as much of an option for me. I guess I avoid it because I never know when I'll be up against a spazzy opponent who'll raise me with weaker hands. Also, I'm not used to big stack play, so it's rarely an option for me anyway. I really shouldn't forget it, though...

I figured top pair or an overpair made the most sense. I guess I didn't balance my aggression and caution properly this time around.

And as for the lack of a read, I'm still HUD-less and I don't memorize every action on the tables I play. I try and keep an eye on things and I use the instant replayer for interesting hands, but I haven't really developed a system in my head for intricately reading opponents' tendencies, and memorizing those reads for application. In this guy's case, I just couldn't remember him showing anything down, although he was engaging in a few pots.

And for some reason I'm really jittery today. Guess that might not be the best condition under which I should be playing poker.

Thanks Dave!

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 04:12 PM
(#8)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
And as for the lack of a read, I'm still HUD-less and I don't memorize every action on the tables I play. I try and keep an eye on things and I use the instant replayer for interesting hands, but I haven't really developed a system in my head for intricately reading opponents' tendencies, and memorizing those reads for application. In this guy's case, I just couldn't remember him showing anything down, although he was engaging in a few pots.
Same thing you have to do live. Just pay attention to each hand and when you see hands shown down, make a mental note of anything unusual (I can't memorize anything either). You'll get better and more intricate with it over time but for now start there. The first players to stand out will be the LAG's, because they're involved in a lot of pots and in your face. Then the LP's (loose/passive) because they'll also be showing down a fair amount of hands many of which will be weak holdings. The last player's you'll take any real note of will be the tight players and the ABC TAG's, because they aren't involved in many pots and don't do much of anything out of the ordinary. So after 20 minutes at an online table if I get in a hand with a player and can't remember noticing anything about them, it's probably because they're not LP or LAG, nor are they doing anything remarkable or out of the ordinary for a tighter player.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com