Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Impulsive Calling to Shovers...

Old
Impulsive Calling to Shovers... - Mon Mar 07, 2011, 06:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Hi all,

I am relatively new to the PSO (less than a month) - and can already see a huge improvement in my play.

However, I am still prone to the "ICS" as I call it or Impulsive Calling to Shovers... and usually with ok hole cards rather than the top three (although KK is just a bad hand for me)

Seems a stupid question, but does anyone have any tips on calling shoves?

Regards

Takers12

Old
Mon Mar 07, 2011, 11:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Well after a weekend where I had AA, KK, QQ, JJ and AKs all cracked I think I can say they don't mean much in PSO. Once the chips are in it's time to just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Seriously though, there are those that think all-in or shoving most of their chip stack in pre-flop is how you're supposed to play. I usually sit back and let them blow away their stack then start playing poker. This past weekend I got caught in hands that left me < 500 in chips before the break on multiple tourneys and in in all cases I was able to come back and make it in the top 30% just playing solid poker hands.

Old
Wed Mar 09, 2011, 03:55 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
Thanks Cyis - In the last two PSO tournaments I have played I have been a lot more patient and not impulsively called - result is that i got ITM in one and top 200 in other... not only that but I was sub 300 chips at one stage in the one i got ITM but managed to drag myself back.

Patience is the key... I think!

Old
Mon Mar 14, 2011, 11:02 AM
(#4)
Just a reminder..try to post your threads in the appropriate forum everyone. This should be in beginners questions or possibly advanced poker discussion. I bring this up for a couple reasons. First, to save our mods work of moving threads around. Second, you will get much better feedback if a topic is in the right forum. Many players do not visit the new members forum looking to answer a question. This forum is generally for new member intros, perhaps for questions on getting started, or any post pertaining to new members. If you posted this in a place where people are already discussing related topics, you'll see a bit more of a response.
Take care and best o' luck out there.

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 01:30 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
Just a reminder..try to post your threads in the appropriate forum everyone. This should be in beginners questions or possibly advanced poker discussion. I bring this up for a couple reasons. First, to save our mods work of moving threads around. Second, you will get much better feedback if a topic is in the right forum. Many players do not visit the new members forum looking to answer a question. This forum is generally for new member intros, perhaps for questions on getting started, or any post pertaining to new members. If you posted this in a place where people are already discussing related topics, you'll see a bit more of a response.
Take care and best o' luck out there.
this IS the beginner's questions forum

lol my bad dan...it's confusing that they have a new players forum and a beginner's questions forum

Last edited by ketchup143; Tue Mar 22, 2011 at 01:34 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com