Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Malware Alert - System Tool

Old
Malware Alert - System Tool - Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:05 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Now you may think this isn't (which is why I'm posting in the general forum) poker related, but if you spend as much time playing as I do IT WILL destroy your poker life and send your stress levels through the roof until you find a way of removing it.

There is currently a piece malware called "System Tool" that is spreading like wildfire. It's a bogus anti-spyware program that will cripple your machine unless you take out a subscription to remove it. Whatever you do, DON'T PAY THE B*****DS as you will be shelling out for a worthless program. I believe it piggy backs into your system either via a JAVA update or simply by loading a rival poker site's program. As far as I'm aware it evades all the common anti-virus programs, so don't presume you're safe if this is the only protection you're currently running. You need an efficient anti-malware program as well and I would guess that most people don't give this sort of protection a second thought.

I know the mods don't like links being posted, so if you need advice on this send me a pm. After fighting this for the best part of three days I finally found a solution, but believe me, it wasn't easy. Of course, if you've already been hit you probably won't even see this. So if you're lucky enough to have escaped so far I really can't stress how seriously you need to take this threat. Act NOW, or you may soon be very sorry you didn't.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:13 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Now you may think this isn't (which is why I'm posting in the general forum) poker related, but if you spend as much time playing as I do IT WILL destroy your poker life and send your stress levels through the roof until you find a way of removing it.

There is currently a piece malware called "System Tool" that is spreading like wildfire. It's a bogus anti-spyware program that will cripple your machine unless you take out a subscription to remove it. Whatever you do, DON'T PAY THE B*****DS as you will be shelling out for a worthless program. I believe it piggy backs into your system either via a JAVA update or simply by loading a rival poker site's program. As far as I'm aware it evades all the common anti-virus programs, so don't presume you're safe if this is the only protection you're currently running. You need an efficient anti-malware program as well and I would guess that most people don't give this sort of protection a second thought.

I know the mods don't like links being posted, so if you need advice on this send me a pm. After fighting this for the best part of three days I finally found a solution, but believe me, it wasn't easy. Of course, if you've already been hit you probably won't even see this. So if you're lucky enough to have escaped so far I really can't stress how seriously you need to take this threat. Act NOW, or you may soon be very sorry you didn't.

Tks Dark. I caught it early in the wildfire days. I had it Early part of Feb. A real XXXXX to remove. No malware will pick it up as, it infest w/ a rootkit ( I'm not a computer guru, so, I'm just using words I think I know) In terms of fixes. spybot forums always good. A little hard on the wait, but, I usually find a similar system to mine in the archives and shark-rigg a solution as best as I can. Combo Fix is usually the answer. ( Really bad idea, if you don't know what you are doing ) Anyone who has original oem disk for they store bought some brand name computer, DON'T THROW AWAY YOUR ORIGINAL RESTORE DISKS. These can be used always to fix complete meltdown of all other fixes.

Thanks for the heads up tho -shark.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:14 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Damn D sounds like a B to go through that

if you could pm me that would be cool
computer has been a little funny for over a week
don't think it is what you had but one could always be ready

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 08:28 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2007
I had this problem a few times and it slows your PC down to a snails pace.

I would recommend Super Anti Spyware free edition, it cured the problem for me. I hope I am not breaking any rules by mentioning the name.

TC

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 11:13 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
This is in fact the exact bug that got me late last week. As a matter of fact, I'm still dealing w/ it and that is why I have been away so much. Dman, I would appreciate the help. I have gotten avast antivirus and that has stopped the incessant pop-ups...however, somehow I've lost my internet. I can still use pokerstars and other sites..just no internet. I've checked through everything..obviously the wireless conn. is good. I don't know much more so any help appreciated. I would just as soon dump and reformat if I had the windows xp to reboot.
I am on a Dell Netbook if that helps. Thanks!

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 11:58 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2007
You probably have internet but with these scams it just takes ages for your browser to boot up. it can mean sitting patiently at the screen for hours to get the browser to upload and even longer to load down software to combat it. Then because your pc is running so slow, another day to get rid of it.

I am no tech genius but it is possible to get this stuff off; it just takes a lot of time and patience.

I hope someone more techy can help you out.

TC

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:08 PM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
joker / Dan. Help on it's way.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 08:59 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
Dman, please send me the information also.

Thank-you much.

Cheers

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 11:06 PM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Ya I had the same problem about a month ago.. Freaked the shit out of me. as my computer is fairly new..

What I read about it was to go to safe mode as anything on normal mode wouldn't execute unless you tried to pay for their program.. Which I read about on my laptop was a scam...
The fix I found was do a restore point in safe mode then run super anti spyware as well as an antivirus program..
That had seem to fix my problem. Been good for a month.. I check for stuff everyday now..

Good luck to all who run into this problem..

Drew300

Old
Wed Mar 09, 2011, 03:10 AM
(#10)
Since: Apr 2010
Hi all

What I find is best to do is run a complete system scan
once a day
I usually get the laptop to do this in the wee small hours
Configure your security to do this
I have had no problems for about three years now

spike

Old
Wed Mar 09, 2011, 09:31 AM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
Thanks, Sir Darkman.

Cheers

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com