Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

learning to see an overpair when u have top pair on the board

Old
learning to see an overpair when u have top pair on the board - Tue Mar 08, 2011, 10:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
hey poker comrades, 1st of all i want to say something to 19honu, you are right about the bs on this site, i don't want to be involve with that bs, i want to learn to be a better online poker player and when i am focus i do belive i am pretty good, but my question is for you, jdean, carin, darkman, moxie, langolier, hobo, shark, roomik, all you guys who seem to know a little something about poker and if i miss somebody i am sorry.. how do you guys deal with or learn to fold top pair on the board when someone has an overpair in their hand..do you go off the raise, position, the player stats..this is something i am trying to really learn, got crush yesterday in a couple of 7nl and 12nl sng games with me holding a/j and a10 and both times i had top pair and the other guy was holding pocket qq and kk..only two people in the hand and one went all in and the other put me all in and i call both times.. any advice. thanks

Old
?? - Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:06 PM
(#2)
very rarely am i calling with AJ or A 10- unless i know the villain is raising lite or shuvving short- and i have him outstacked and can isolate-remember the 'gap' theory- even if u hit your ace- quite possibly villain has you out kicked- or u hit your kiker- and what u explain above happens-- if i have a good read on villain- and believe him to be raising any 2- i am more likely to 3 bet him big-and take it right then - than ever call-- gl-- monk...

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
If it's a player that you're unfamiliar with (and that's going to be the majority of the time on-line) then it can much harder to discern what his holdings may be. I take notes and notice what types of hands players tend to be playing hands with depending on position,what it's costing them (or not) to come into the hand and any other determinative factor I can glom onto. Also they're bluff tendencies can help. And how I think the table is seeing ME factors in sometimes to--what hands would he make ME for,if I am holding say 77 and put him on 88,99 or 1010 say,can I move him off with an aggressive re-raise.

Then there is always their betting patterns,many (most) bad players tend to fall into very predictable patterns. Alot of poor,or newer,players will let you know whether or not they have it everytime by the way they bet. I call it "Rainman" betting--2 for good ,1 for bad.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 06:39 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree with Moxie on the betting patterns. It's something that I'm always watching for. If the opp is playing tight, you need to automatically think high pkt pair (or AK). If they're playing loose, then you have to open up what they are probably holding.

AJ or A 10 is rough, especially if you get an A on the flop, becuase anyone else in that would call a bet probably has you outkicked. If you hit the bottom card, you do have to worry about an over pair.... epsecially if they go all in.

Sometimes you gotta go with your gut feelings on it too.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 07:23 PM
(#5)
Deleted user
Bet sizing and postion are two clues.
A lot of players will 3bet when they have a overpair on the flop and the 3bet is usually way to much to get a call.Board texture is another clue

349 rainbow and he is leading out.He may have trips,overs or AK.
I usually give a player benefit of the doubt till I see different.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:31 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Having seen people in pots they had no right to be in it is easy to imagine your TPTK is good but i've found that a good percentage of the time that when someone pushes they have a hand. I'd be thinking he has at least two pair. I like to keep a mantra in my head of looking for a better spot. It's when I forget my mantra and start thinking other players are just trying to make a play that I get into trouble. For me it's much easier to dump that hand in a cash game than in a tournament since you can wait much longer for the right spot in cash games.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com