Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

thoughts and comments on this one?

Old
thoughts and comments on this one? - Tue Mar 08, 2011, 01:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Thoughts and comments on this one?

$5.50 Single Table SNG
Pays 3
4 left, I am bottom stack, but chips are well spread amongst the remainder of players.

This guy had limped my prior 3 BB, and I really thought this was going to be a chop, or MAYBE a "win" for me if he held 77/TT. Unfortunately, he limped big.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=03F0C90A5C

Link now woks.

Last edited by JDean; Tue Mar 08, 2011 at 01:35 PM..

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 01:19 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Link is broken & taking out the extra dots gets me to a PSO forum page but with errors. I'm just sayin'.

Dawn

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 02:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I think that's a spot where I would stack off, too. The guy limps frequently, so I'd be inclined to raise with a wide range/fold, but you can't fold. You have to see a free flop, which is basically a reverse blessing because it gives you a chance to hit and get your hopes up before he crushes you. If he was limping with weak hands and monsters, and raising everything in between, then he had a system and you just fell victim to him getting a monster and getting it paid off. Sounds to me though like the guy was passive and just got lucky.

Now, I'm not a big check-raise expert (and it's been awhile since I read that part of The Theory of Poker), but I'm not the biggest fan of the check-raise on the turn. What was the intention there? If you're confident you have the best hand and are just trying to get chips in the pot, then I guess it was good. But it's so small that you can't reasonably expect a fold from anything but a stone bluff (and even some of those could conceivably call). If I was check-raising, it would be with the intention of getting a read on my opponent here. I would check-raise much bigger to represent a big hand while giving them a legit opportunity to fold, and if they called, I'd likely be done with the hand. But since the stacks are so small relative to the pot here, that line isn't an option. If you're behind, all I see the check-raise accomplishing is getting your chips into his stack faster, and the shove on the river wouldn't seem to me like it's getting folded to by better or called by worse, as a result of that line.

It's really a tricky spot, I think. I can see myself taking the same line you did, but I can also see myself opening the turn and folding the river if the guy seems interested. I'm not totally sure I'd fold a hand as strong as yours in that situation, but it's suspicious when a passive opponent preflop just starts barreling post-flop.

And JDean, I'm really disappointed. I clicked on the link and I did not get a stir-fry. Very upset.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 02:59 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Don't really like it JD. On the river, yes, we're stacking off. But facing his turn bet we're not beating anything but a bluff, and then you c/r him??? What where you ranging him on at that point? Was he prone to multi-street bluffing?

I know his preflop range is wide, but he bets the flop, and bets the turn on a 88J9 board. Any jack is beating you (except J7 and lower, if he limps with those) and other than a stone bluff, he's usually going to have a better jack or stronger here. If he IS prone to multi-street bluffing, then you c/r let's him off the hook allowing him to fold his bluff, would rather continue with the c/c line vs. a chronic bluffer.

Regardless, only an idiot would be bluffing you on the turn. You check/called the flop bet, you are going to have Jx, 8x, or T9, and are not likely to fold any of those with your stack.

So it seems to me unlikely he's showing up with a bluff, and you're not beating anything at all in his turn betting value range.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:57 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Don't really like it JD. On the river, yes, we're stacking off. But facing his turn bet we're not beating anything but a bluff, and then you c/r him??? What where you ranging him on at that point? Was he prone to multi-street bluffing?

I know his preflop range is wide, but he bets the flop, and bets the turn on a 88J9 board. Any jack is beating you (except J7 and lower, if he limps with those) and other than a stone bluff, he's usually going to have a better jack or stronger here. If he IS prone to multi-street bluffing, then you c/r let's him off the hook allowing him to fold his bluff, would rather continue with the c/c line vs. a chronic bluffer.

Regardless, only an idiot would be bluffing you on the turn. You check/called the flop bet, you are going to have Jx, 8x, or T9, and are not likely to fold any of those with your stack.

So it seems to me unlikely he's showing up with a bluff, and you're not beating anything at all in his turn betting value range.
Yeah dave. the other times I checked the flop, he fired on the turn.

I would have played 88 like that, so I felt there was a chance, given that I was in on a "random" hand, that I could rep the STR or trips scared of a STR.

Realistically tho, looking back on the QJ hand (I will post the link), when he flatted my min re-raise here, I'm thinking I could have seen this as me being beat; this is the part that really leads to me posting this.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=B58B7DB36D

...either the C/R min raise "worked", or it was hopless, but the river 8 was the ship card. That 8 doesn;t come, and I have NO shot at a real chop chance, I'm done.

I know, getting that deep into my stack isn't "good", but the other 2 besides this guy did not impress me much. So I felt even on that depleted stack I had a reasonable chance to make ITM.

You and Panicky do "seal" it for me, and my thinking: that RR wasn't very good at all, and merely led to a river card that I'm now shoving on, instead of trying a weak bluff and failing to survive.

The river 8 killed me tho...

thanks.

Last edited by JDean; Tue Mar 08, 2011 at 04:06 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com