Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

PSO worth the time?

Old
PSO worth the time? - Tue Mar 08, 2011, 01:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Just thought I would throw this out there because me and my friends have debated it. To get into the money even for $15, you have to play in about 40-50 tourney's to make enough points(taking into account a couple of negative finishes because everyone gets sucked out on once in a while. Avg tourney to make points is 2 1/2hrs we will say, so you are spending 125 hrs online a month playing to make a whopping 15 bucks, I say forget about the the league, the time, the stress, etc and work a couple of hours overtime at work and get a few extra bucks, save enough to deposit and play with that. I think the play is a little better when there is actual cash involved as opposed to playing in a free league or freerolls where its an all in fest at the beginning.

I know you do learn some poker lessons and strategy by playing in the league, but the time factor is the big issue, some of you guys play every tourney, every day(or at least 3 or 4) but how many people can actually do that? I also know its a tough economy so some of you don't have jobs and can play all day and night. I do think that it is good to live a well rounded life and not spend all day in front of the computer and have no other hobbies or social life so that's why I think its better to just deposit and play at your leisure.

So if you really want to have some real cash on this site is it worth it to play the league, hubble freerolls, etc and spend a lot of hours a month(125-175 hrs) for a couple of bucks or should you just save and play for real cash and have more hours to spend with family, do housework, exercise, or whatever floats your boat?

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 01:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabo View Post
Just thought I would throw this out there because me and my friends have debated it. To get into the money even for $15, you have to play in about 40-50 tourney's to make enough points(taking into account a couple of negative finishes because everyone gets sucked out on once in a while. Avg tourney to make points is 2 1/2hrs we will say, so you are spending 125 hrs online a month playing to make a whopping 15 bucks, I say forget about the the league, the time, the stress, etc and work a couple of hours overtime at work and get a few extra bucks, save enough to deposit and play with that. I think the play is a little better when there is actual cash involved as opposed to playing in a free league or freerolls where its an all in fest at the beginning.

I know you do learn some poker lessons and strategy by playing in the league, but the time factor is the big issue, some of you guys play every tourney, every day(or at least 3 or 4) but how many people can actually do that? I also know its a tough economy so some of you don't have jobs and can play all day and night. I do think that it is good to live a well rounded life and not spend all day in front of the computer and have no other hobbies or social life so that's why I think its better to just deposit and play at your leisure.

So if you really want to have some real cash on this site is it worth it to play the league, hubble freerolls, etc and spend a lot of hours a month(125-175 hrs) for a couple of bucks or should you just save and play for real cash and have more hours to spend with family, do housework, exercise, or whatever floats your boat?
The answer to this is always going to come down to a "personal" choice.

If you have the wherewithal to deposit a couple hundo on line, and have the ability to at least approach "break even", then PSO probably isn't worth a whole lot beyond use as a "test bed" for your MTT strategies.

If you are a free roll/micro stakes player who CANNOT put money on line, and your only option for real money paly is to "score" some league $, then it probably is worth it to you; especially if you are going to be palying quite a few free rolls anyway.

No matter what, if you read the lessons, try to apply them, then read more to EXPAND your game, PSO is worthy as a method for improving your poker.

You do not "need" to paly 40 or 50 games per month to get great benefit from PSO, for it to be worth the time and effort to play in hthe league.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 01:24 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
that is the question each of us has to ask.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 01:27 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Flabo-

Well, considering that most people that I have seen, including myself, can't make a deposit from a bank or don't want to pay to Western Union the money, I find it well worth the time. Unless you have a positive ROI, is it worth all the time you are putting in with your deposits? Poker players spend hours at poker tables to win nothing in Major tournaments, but do you think they are thinking about how many hours they spent losing when they hit a good cash? I guess this would be a good question to ask a professional poker player. How many hours did you spend playing poker before you finally made it your career? Every pro I have ever heard speak about this says that this is the most expensive sport to learn. Some spend thousands of dollars before they even see a return.

So, with all the promotions PSO offers, the Live Training, the PSO Skill League, and the Forums, I would say yes it is worth putting in the time for free training.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 01:57 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:

I think your last paragraph is very telling as to your definition of 'worth.' So, if cash is your motive, then freerolls probably are NOT worth it. However, if you place a value on learning, then the PSO league is probably the best, free, hands-on teacher you're likely to find...

Im just sayin...

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 02:48 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
it's not always about the money, some people actually play for the love of the game, i am trying to play for the day to say i was the winner of the month so i like the competiton, hell it's a freeroll and the most you can win is around 2.38 in that session for 5 hrs of your time, hell i loose that in 10 sec on ring and sng while playing..i think it always a choice.. some for money, some for love and some for learning..which one are u, that's the questions you should ask yourself..

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:53 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
If I could only play one table at a time, then PSO Skill League would not be the best use of my on-line time. Happily, I can play more than one table at a time. So while I have 2-4 cash tables going, I can also have a PSO league game going. The PSO league requires less attention and concentration than the cash games. The near guarantee of $15, good chance of $50, and shot at $1500 at the end of the month makes it well worth it to have that extra table going while I would be playing the cash games anyway.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 05:26 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz864 View Post
I think your last paragraph is very telling as to your definition of 'worth.' So, if cash is your motive, then freerolls probably are NOT worth it. However, if you place a value on learning, then the PSO league is probably the best, free, hands-on teacher you're likely to find...

Im just sayin...

Tazz I don't agree with this at all, Look Pso League/Free Rolls are all the same there fields are filled with Idiots that "Think wow, I have Ace High, I'm Good", What exactly are you learing from this? Nothing except to fold, and control your anger (I as you witnessed cannot control my temper), but what the league is good for is the Leagues over-all standings Points game that is nice to those that have earned the 20 vpps $1500 at the end of the Rainbow, or that nice $150to those that still must earn there at the end of the Tunnel, that is all the league is worth/good for, I mean the $2.40 per game is well like Aight if that's your aim but I mean come Getting lucky once 2 time 3 times 4 times every day all month long is impossible, but making it deep is not impossible, so over all...

The league is good for certain things but not anything else/Also forget about really learning as this is none existent is these games, cuz ppl tend to play really Moronic to the point that it baffels ones mind

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 05:52 PM
(#9)
Speaking just for myself, PSO helped me find the patience I was lacking and allowed me to see many, many hands for free. I was also fortunate enough to meet the vent people there and since then my game has improved dramatically. I still have a lot to learn but PSO has definately helped. Is there a lot of bad play there? Sure, same as anywhere. I believe thats a good thing because if everyone played perfect poker it would be a lot harder to make any money. Well thats my two cents, see ya out there.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 05:56 PM
(#10)
Deleted user
It doesnt take much time to get ITM and I see no other place to learn that offers this aspect.
This league is good for teaching how to play against bad players which you will face at all lvls.
May have less at a table as you move up and thats why it is important to find them before every one
else does and exploit them.I have discovered a fish a with in a orbit they will be gone from the regs ripping them to shreads.
So this has helped me spot them,now my trick to learn is how to disguise how bad they are when I isolate them.You can learn something from every player bad or good,so no complaints on my end.

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 06:08 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobojim11247 View Post
that is the question each of us has to ask.
I think Jim has hit the Nail on the Head

As each of us have to decide if its worth it to us

no one else can make that choice, so you must ask your self on top of learning is this also enjoyable as 1st and for most Poker is a Game and if you not having funn thats a tell tale to take some time away

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 07:21 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Flabo,

Certainly it's a personal thing and each of us has to determine why we do what we do, as well as what our goals are regarding what we do. When the goal is to excell at at anything, hard work, discipline and commitment are the seeds that will ultimately produce the fruits of our labor.

If you want a little fruit salad every now and then, a few fruit trees in the back yard is all you need, to fullfill your desire. Very little time and effort will be needed to achieve your goal. So if a little money and some personal enjoyment is your poker goal, then very little effort will need to be spent in order to acheive your goal.

Certainly a simple concept to grasp . It sounds like you're the kind of person who is looking for a little enjoyment from your poker and if you can make a little money also, then you will be content with free rolls, and micro MTT's. PSO is probably not for you and you will ultimately reduce your PSO activity. You seem to have answered your own question here. Good for you.

Your question will also cause others to ask themselves the same question. No matter the outcome, this type of self-examination is a very positive thing and we all need to do it with every aspect of our lives.

For me, personally, I decided to become a professional poker player about three years ago. Realistickly, it's not the kind of thing you can flip a switch and make it magically happen. I wish it was so, but it is not. I spent the first two years reading poker books and online info, while playing computer holdem games. No money involved, just self training. 5-8 hours a night, while holding down a day job.

I joined Poker Stars in January of 2010, and PSO in August of 2010. To make the fruit tree analogy, I'm not content with a little fruit salad once in awhile, I want a 100,000 Sqr. Ft. warehouse full of every kind of fruit imaginable. So I don't need a few fruit trees in the back yard, I need a few hundred acres of orchards with every type of fruit tree imaginable to fullfill my goals and dreams. A whole lot of work, discipline and commitment is required to achieve this goal.

So to cut this disertation short, PSO for me, is a great place to be. I invest 10-12 hours a day in training to achieve my goals. So for me it is absolutely worth it. Plus, for me, when I make a verbal commitment like this in a very public forum like this, I am hanging my ass out for the world to see. ( I know it's not a pretty sight)....but like Mohamed Ali said ...I am the greatest...

At the time he started saying it, he wasn't, but his belief, commitment and verbal engagment, ultimately lead him to acheive his goals of greatness.

I'll probably never be a Phil Ivy or Doyle Brunson, but I am striving to attain a high level of success in the world of Poker, so for me, this is just a low rung on the ladder of success and YES, TO REPEAT IT ONE MORE TIME, IT'S VERY WORTH IT FOR ME.

Good luck to you and all you want for your life and the loved ones it in. I hope you get from poker what you want. Contentment for me, is being happy with what I have, while in pursuit of what I want. I hope for you, the same thing.

Thank you for posing this question, I hope my answer has helped you, it has certainly helped me tremendously. Thank you again.

The General.

"Commitment is not just a word, It's a way of Life"

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 08:06 PM
(#13)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:

Hi Flabo,

PSO, Is it worth it?

Is it worth it? I think that question has be thoroughly answered by the post above. I'll give you my story tho. Middle of 2010, I'd found myself jobless, and no real ambition for doing much. I'm not a lazy person by nature, but, suffice it to say I did not want to re-enter the rat race. I was fortunate enough to have loved ones around me who could support my bumming ways. I started up on Full Tilt again August of 2010. I played all the freerolls I could and devoted myself to making money online again. It was hard and grueling. But, reading about Chris Fergerson really made me hope I could do it. I decided to follow very strict Bankroll management, and I pounded the poker pavement. I played late at night against the smallest fields to try to make any type of bankroll. I said away from cash due to the fact that my ring game was break even at best, and to be totally honest w/ ya, probably a losing battle.

I played the daily dollar on Full Tilt every chance I got, I'd get a little bit of money together, and what Datzang didn't ask for, I hoarded and played every chance I had. I didn't even bother w/ tourneys w/ .10 fees to try to make my bankroll last as long as it could. On Sept. 12th I won the Daily Dollar to the tune of just under $1500. I cashed out $500 of it, and proceeded to play way beyond my bankroll again. I lost most of the $1000 playing $11, high guarantee'd MTT's. I lucked out and placed high enough in one to cash another $1000. This went up and down, when Datz decided to open her PokerStars account after I refused her any more money on Full Tilt. I had been dedicating myself to Full Tilt Academy and getting my iron man promotion all in a row. I look up some of the stuff PokerStars had to offer, and low and behold. NAPL and PSO was like a light at the end of a tunnel? What? Free Money? More chances at free money. The NAPL is like a free Daily Dollar everyday with the NAPL $500 freeroll in place. And PSO was like a dream come true.

As I had money already, I took advantage of the $20 SnG reload bonus and made my first deposit. I used this to get qualified for the next PSO month. My first month of PSO, I cashed for $500 on the leaderboard. I've made 3 separate $10 deposits also for good reload promo's. My second month I cashed for $750 and Datzang, my girlfriend cashed for $1500 that same month after only winning $3 the month before. She had to overhaul her thinking for PSO skill. The next month we ran into some issues that are very public knowledge in the forums and PSO community. Suffice it to say, we lost 11 days, and considering we both hit T10 late last month, I'd say we suffered monetarily due to the 11 days of suspension. We are both in the running for this months T10, so, all well that ends well.

Has it been worth it. Time wise. I invest a little over 200 hours a month in PSO. I've won $1280 in over 600 hours of play. That's $2.13 an hour for the last 3 months. Not a good return. But, PSO was always a stepping stone for me. Get $2K in free bankroll money, and then make my run. This is really what I thought and had planned. PSO has been so much more to me now. I started out in these forums and community as some what of a skeptic. I acknowledged that there were really smart and savvy player in this community, but, never really cared as to what that would mean to me. I don't want to go into all my secrets, but, suffice it to say, I've learned a whole lot about me, and about poker. My game has changed 100%, for both cash, and MTT's. I've learned some great tricks, and met some really good ppl in this community. I'm going against all my self preserving rules as of late and posting ideas and thoughts. Not just horsing around. I really have developed a true desire to see this forum and PSO community grow in a great resource and help to all who want to play and learn poker. It's not perfect, but, it's the best thing out there at the moment. I have developed new goals, and now see very attainable ways to achieve my goals.

Hope this helps you and everyone else who reads this. -Shark

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 08:39 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdi122 View Post
Tazz I don't agree with this at all, Look Pso League/Free Rolls are all the same there fields are filled with Idiots that "Think wow, I have Ace High, I'm Good", What exactly are you learing from this? Nothing except to fold, and control your anger (I as you witnessed cannot control my temper), but what the league is good for is the Leagues over-all standings Points game that is nice to those that have earned the 20 vpps $1500 at the end of the Rainbow, or that nice $150to those that still must earn there at the end of the Tunnel, that is all the league is worth/good for, I mean the $2.40 per game is well like Aight if that's your aim but I mean come Getting lucky once 2 time 3 times 4 times every day all month long is impossible, but making it deep is not impossible, so over all...

The league is good for certain things but not anything else/Also forget about really learning as this is none existent is these games, cuz ppl tend to play really Moronic to the point that it baffels ones mind
I guess PSO has taught me to ignore sore losers too well, because I don't remember tabling with you. I really cannot decipher what else you are trying to say. I am saying that there are tons of free learning tools and a free league in which to play where one can see what works best in a certain situation. With what are you disagreeing??

Im just saying

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 11:22 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Great answers guys, hoping to hear from more of you. I do realize it is up to me what amount of time I will invest in the PSO, and I do have a love/hate relationship with it, I like that it is there when I 'm no t in the mood to play for cash, but I get pissed off at the donk play I see and the donk play get rewarded time and time again. Sometimes I try and play like a donk to see if it works for me and I'd say its 50/50 so I wonder if it's worth it to try my skills or play very loose/aggressive because it ends up being the same outcome, sometimes i get knocked out early, sometimes I double up. I then, like last month, started out well but then, not having the time, fell in the standings because I couldn't play in every event, and couldn't keep up with the people who did. Hope to see more comments in this thread, Flabo

Old
Wed Mar 09, 2011, 02:04 AM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Shark, Flabo, langolier, Tazz, et el,

Thank you so much for all the help and information.

Shark,
Thank you for the personal insight, I surely do appreciate it.

Flabo,

When I first joined PSO, I did not play the leagues or read or post in the forums. I spent most of my time consuming the huge library of knowledge here from the many professionals and top players here, who have been willing to share their knowledge with those interested in growing their game. I spend 1/4 to a 1/3 of my time consuming information. Each time I play (and it's still not very good), I get better, because I always learn something. Making the connection with the knowledge I've consummed and the reality of my play, always leaves me in self analysis.

I couldn't say that 7 months ago. When I got knocked out of a game by a loose player with a lucky suckout, or when I was sucked into a trap by an all in with a hidden set, I just fummed and pissed and moaned about the donkey and my bad luck. I didn't go back and analyze what I had done and what I could have done differently. The league and this forum, coupled with my ever growing knowledge of the game, has changed that. Everything is a lesson now and I am greatful for the 24/7 classroom, and the player/teachers in it.

Instead of just going to class to go to class, I am going to class to learn and grow and excell. That little change has been a big change AND my game is SLOWLY improving, BUT my outlook and attitude are RAPIDLY improving and I am enjoying every aspect of the game now.

Marginal players, (donkeys as we like to call them) are the best thing that can happen to me because they teach me what I need to know. Learning how to both avoid getting donked by them while exploiting them, is paramount to becoming successful at this endeavor. God bless the donks....

I am currently scouting the stock yard pens (ring tables) for lambs to add to my sheep (wool shearing) ranch (home game)

There are regular players who deposit $100-$200 every week and play for fun as their form of entertainment. Some people golf, some people ski, some people ride their ATVs in the desert. Whatever they spend their entertainment dollars on...it's just that...entertainment. Same is true with weekend Sheep/fish/lambs/donkeys...call them what you want. It's their form of entertainment and it's what they spend their entertainment dollars on.

Like the old poker proverb goes.... If you don't know who the lamb at the table is....IT'S YOU.

I think I've made my point so I won't belabor it, only to say this...if you cry about the donkeys beating you....your missing the point of the game... Don't be mad at the Donkeys for beating you....Be mad at yourself for letting them.

The General

Old
Wed Mar 09, 2011, 04:50 AM
(#17)
In Feb I played 35 League tourneys,12 where minus points and I finish in 39th place. So I think that
the top 100 can be made in under 30 tounreys with good play and some luck.

Old
Wed Mar 09, 2011, 05:03 AM
(#18)
BronzeStar
if you are broke and need a bank the PSO is worth it

Old
Wed Mar 09, 2011, 06:27 AM
(#19)
Since: Jan 2010
Tazz864 is wasting his time here 9 months of play with over 150 tourneys a month and only 3$ cashed, that sure is a waste and ur question answered LOL, as for learning he is slow in that department as well
Just saying LOL

Last edited by KOingDonks; Wed Mar 09, 2011 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Added info

Old
Wed Mar 09, 2011, 09:44 AM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Tazz864 is wasting his time here 9 months of play with over 150 tourneys a month and only 3$ cashed, that sure is a waste and ur question answered LOL, as for learning he is slow in that department as well
Just saying LOL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by KOingDonks; Today at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Added info

too funny and if you listen to the way he belittles alot of people on here you would think he was one of the better players..he is just another donk with big dreams...and i am just saying...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com