Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

learn from your bad beats

Old
learn from your bad beats - Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I've been playing cards for over 35 years, and it took me, because of my ego and other factors, this long to use a horrific beat to my advantage from a rigorous self-assessment process that folowed this recent beating in Jan11. I was going good @ my usual limit $5-10 NL holdem and made the classic mistake to use this upswing to limit up to $10-25 NL. Ironically, in this game I was dealt the dream scenario. Pocket AA with 3 callers pre-flop on my preflop raise. Flop comes
A 3 3. I ranged my opponents properly for this flop ( easy with a monster like I had), raised, two players folded and much to my delight had the last player raise me ( he must have put me on AK,KK, QQ or something). I got him all-in on the flop. I have put him on 3-4, 3-5, suited or exactly what I think he put me on or an unlikely A 3) Turn is a blank 10. River is, you all know it- the case 3 for quads. this one hand put a severe blow on my bankroll) The point is, this 46-1 dog or more realistically this 22-1 dog to see 2 cards got there proving once again the high variance of the game. this situation forced me to reassess my game in away that I have not in years, and though it is still to early to call, I am having very good success since I put myself back to school- I never would have considered this as an option before this BAD BAD Beat. Proving it is critical for everyone not to be too old to LEARN!!!!!- especially from their bad beats that could be easily justified as just donkie play- which it WAS!! BUT that is not the point of this BAD BEat Story!!

Last edited by BRNXBOY54; Wed Mar 09, 2011 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: mistake in text

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com