Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

NLHE 6-Max Cash Strategy Tips

Old
NLHE 6-Max Cash Strategy Tips - Fri Mar 11, 2011, 12:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
So, lately I've been making a pretty decent amount of cash from the micro 6-max tables, but tonight, I'm just not feeling it. My head's not in the game, and I'm losing money. When this happens to me, I like to take a break and do some studying (you can't lose money studying), and tonight, I'm asking for your help to do that.

I've never read any books on 6-max, and I don't think I've read any threads dedicated to them. I know there have been posts, but they're sort of in the back of my head, and not doing me much good at the moment. I'd like to ask for strategy tips on 6-max games so that I can get everything here into one thread, so I can look at it all and rethink how I play. Next time I join a cash game, I'm hoping to have a clear head, and even better, new ideas to throw around. I'll also do a little searching through the library and such, but the more thoughts I can get, the better.

I'm also having hot chocolate at the moment. That always helps me feel better, too.

Thanks!

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 12:28 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I don't know if you have checked the site out or not, but try two plus two poker forums. Sections dedicated to micro short handed strategy. good starting point.

Old
Six Max - Fri Mar 11, 2011, 01:02 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
I started playing these to practice for the Big Game. I soon realized there was a big difference between cash games and 6-max.

I've seen a few loose cannons play and thought that they were in the tourney mindset, not into six max. It really is a different game, and PS even tells you to practice this game.

I never got to the Big Game, but I still think I could have been there. I qualified, but didn't want to put myself out there on facebook.

Good luck!!

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 01:50 AM
(#4)
WhiteStar
A8 suited is now A10 suited

9 10 suited is now J 10 suited.

simply put play more hands you would normally toss because there are 1/3 less people on the table to have a better one.

this is my outlook at it anyways.

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 11:58 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
NLHE 6-max cash is my specialty. If you have any questions I would be happy to give me 2 cents. I'm always working on pushing myself to play these better and to play more of them at a time. Right now I'm trying to go from playing six at a time to nine, but off to a rocky start. Made $16 the first night I tried nine, then the second night I lost $7 lol. Both were ~3 hour long sessions. I tried mixing in two $5 tables the second night I think that was a mistake. I have experience in $2 and $5 and I can say that at $5 people play at a higher level than $2. It takes a lot more concentration for me to play $5. People 3-bet a lot more preflop, are more agressive on the button, and generally more likely to attack any weakness you show. Overall though people still make a lot of mistakes at $5, but less than the average person at $2.

Don't be passive at 6-max cash tables. There are times when it is ok, but overall try to raise any good hands you have. It will get you more value and help you feel out where you stand pre and post flop.

At $2 I would say 90% of the time someone makes a big river bet, they will have a very strong hand. Remember that!!!!

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 01:56 PM
(#6)
Big river bets usually do mean big hands. I've noticed that, too. I've tried to break that rule a few times by running bluffs, but my bluffs do not have a high success rate.

Lately I've been playing at the $10 tables, and I think I have gotten the hang of them. I'm trying only one table at a time at the moment, the intent being to learn how to beat them as fast as I can, so that I can move up a stake quicker (in theory). Multitabling hasn't gone well for me in the past, and that usually ends up losing me money. At the moment I'm looking at the $25 tables because my roll can take a few of those buy-ins (yay for depositor promos), but I think I'm going to shadow a few before I actually start playing them.

I'm curious about what you think of 3betting at these tables, Rocker (and anyone else who's reading)? It's definitely helped my game to start 3betting with marginal hands if the spot is good, but I sometimes feel that I'm doing it too much. If I had a HUD, I could look at my 3bet%, and I imagine it would be conspicuously high. Sometimes I think I'm just spewing chips though.

Also, I'm definitely knowledging up at 2+2 later. Thanks for that tip, Da Sens Fan.

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Fri Mar 11, 2011 at 01:58 PM..

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 02:35 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
I haven't played the $10 games for a couple years, but I'd assume they are very, very similar to $5. If you feel like your 3-betting too much, then you probably are. You should be doing it with premium hands usually, unless of course you are given another reason to do it. If the button is consistently raising preflop when it is folded to him, you could assume he is raising light. If he is raising with a wider range, then you need to widen your 3-betting range in the blinds. You can choose to 3-bet light for table image considerations as well. If you always only 3-bet with QQ+ and AK people will fold too often to you. Therefore, you can occasionaly 3-bet with a wider range than normal to keep everyone guessing. If they see you 3-bet with 10Js or 66 and win at showdown then next time when you have AA they might 4-bet you rather than call with their JJ. The majority of the time don't 3-bet light. It isn't ever really correct to 3-bet light at random, but it can help you increase profits in future hands.

I wouldn't suggest going up to $25 if all you can handle losing is a couple buy-ins. Variance could result in you gaining or losing a couple buy-ins in a single session regardless of how well or poorly you play. I would say the last 2 nights I played 9 tables, 2/3 of my profits or losses was from pure variance (luck/terribly bad luck). The other 1/3 profit was from skill and the 1/3 losses from tilting...

Last edited by RockerguyAA; Fri Mar 11, 2011 at 02:39 PM..

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 02:43 PM
(#8)
My issue with 3betting at 6-max tables is that I'm not too clear on what constitutes a 'premium' hand. It's definitely wider than AK QQ+. Because it's 6-max. The issue is my 3-betting value range. I'll 3-bet with really weird hands like low suited connectors if I think someone's light, but I find myself 3betting hands like AJo and KTs (OOP) a lot, just because they're really strong at a 6-max table. I almost always raise hands that I think are strong enough to play if I'm in a blind, and often that means I'm 3betting. And since I'm in a blind at least one third of the time, that means I 3bet a lot. I'm just confused about that.

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 03:14 PM
(#9)
Here's another 6-max issue I have. Weak aces. What to do with them? I watch the Big Game a lot and I see that the pros don't mind playing them much. I prefer to drop them though. Even at a 6-max table, I see my reverse implied odds to be massive when I do play them. That being said, they should be much stronger at 6-max tables then at full ring tables. I just don't play them if I can help it. But that might be a leak. I don't know. Seeking tips!

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 04:03 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
AJo and K10s are not really strong after someone has raised. They are good hands to open with in 6max, but they lose a lot of value once someone else has already raised. The earlier the position of the original raiser, the more value those hands lose. You can still definitely choose to 3-bet with those hands from the BB if you have good reason to think the guy is raising light. If he comes over the top of your 3-bet, lay it down you will be beat. Even if the guy is raising very light, I wouldn't 3-bet him every time I was dealt AJo. Sometimes call, sometimes fold.

I don't think 3-betting with low suited connectors is ever really a good idea, unless your in BB and you think the button player is raising with any 2. In that specific case it might not really matter what cards you are dealt though.

Any suited connector is good enough to raise with in many cases(as semi-bluff), but again, after someone else has already raised they lose much of their value. Low suited connectors have zero showdown value if you miss the board, and if your not the aggressor anymore it will be a lot harder to scare someone off marginal hands that beat you.

As for weak aces, I play any suited A in late position with a raise preflop. Limping is not usually a good idea, you will often get raised and forced to fold preflop. I give unsuited weak aces close to zero value out of position, I might occasionally raise with them on the button, but far from every time(not sure how correct/incorrect this is). If you get called preflop, the callers will usually have you kicked IF they have an A. If an A flops and an out of position caller bets into you(the preflop agressor) you will usually be beat. Don't waste your money calling just to fold the turn. If they check and the flop is dry, you can try checking it back and betting out on the turn if he checks again. You can try to conceal that you have an A while also controlling the size of the pot. If the flop hits an A and is wet(draw heavy) go ahead and bet it out if checked to, careful betting the river though if you don't improve(even if no draws completed). If the flop is wet with an A and the caller bets into you, you are most likely either up against a decent drawing hand or a better A. Either way, things are looking bad for you at that point.

When it comes to 3-betting and blind defense I still have a lot to learn, far from mastered it. Let me just add that I was really dissapointed when I couldn't make the 3-betting live training class a little while ago, because I know I would have learned a lot.

Old
Fri Mar 11, 2011, 04:07 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
If you're looking for a really solid book on 6-max cash games, I'd recommend Dan Harrington's Online Cash Games. Its exclusively written for 6-max games, and it gives some real solid thinking and advice.

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 04:09 AM
(#12)
WhiteStar
you gouys talked me into trying this now. im opening up 2 6 max tables. i'll update in a bit.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com