Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

I have a dream!

Old
I have a dream! - Sat Mar 12, 2011, 11:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
It's really a GOAL....but it's a 100+ to 1 against DOG....so it really qualifies as a DREAM....

Before I outline my Dream/Goal...here is a little background for those who have not read any of my thread comments.

I am a newbie player striving to be become a professional. Three years ago I made the decision to become a professional poker player. Realisticaly, not something you can filp a switch and magically make happen. I wish it were so, but it is not. I spent the first two years reading poker books and online information while playing computer holdem games. 5-8 hrs a day training, no money involved, just training at night while holding down a day job.

After researching many online sites, I joined Pokerstars in Jan. 2010, and PSO in August of 2010.

The first 2-3 months at pokerstars, I deposited and lost, approx. $250. (I'm calling it tuition).
I slowed way down after that (money wise) and played freerolls, micro MTT's, SnG's and play money, which ultimately lead me to PSO.

I deposit $10 to $20 every month, and play it until it's gone. Some months I have a few cents left, some months I bust out before the month is over. That's when I say I have more month than I have money .

Yesterday I deposited $15.

Here is my Dream/Goal..... To never make another deposit again...EVER
I know this is a lofty goal...One of my many mentors use to always say..."If you are always reaching for the stars, it's hard to come up with a fistful of mud!"

I make this Dream/Goal every month, as it is my desire to build my BR from a very small starting deposit and spend my time as well as my investment money wisely. Only this month I am doing something different. I believe that in order to make and pursue goals, they have to be shared with others, otherwise they are just dreams.

I am declaring this goal in this very public forum for several reasons. First, I want to make it known to the members of this forum, as there are many of you in here whom I respect and whose insight and knowledge I seek out daily. Thank you to all who have helped me. Secondly, I am doing this in order to hang my A** out for all to see ( I know...not a pretty sight)

I want and need your help, and I know you will hold my feet to the fire...that is what I want.

There are many in here who are seeking the same thing I am. Making your game good enough to have it become your way of making a living (become a professional).. There is a lot of sophmoric rehtoric here in the forums, but I am willing to wade through the BS to get knowledgeable information from serious driven players, eager to both learn and share their experiences.. Thank you to all who have helped me. My goal is to get good enough here, in order to not need to be here. I hope I never stop wanting to be here, but for now it's a need thing.

I deposited $15 yesterday and played in one tourney and 30-40 minutes at a ring table. I chipped up in both and sit @ $15.67 as of the writing of this post.

Here is my basic Strategy....advice and input are requested here, please.

1/3 Rings.................($5)
1/3 Tournaments.. ($5)
1/3 Reserve............($5.67)

Ring Games: Rings are important. You can't be professional without mastering the cash game.
Tournaments: Tourneys are important as you can parlay small entrance fees into big payouts.

I play cash games in the morning, the purpose of which is to chip up. My goal is to play micro tables in order to win $2-$5 before quiting. I start @ $2.00 on .01/.02 holdem NL tables.
Play rings for 2-4 hours, then get off....up or down... The whole purpose is to get dollars to play tourneys in the second half of the day, without dipping into the tourney funds at all...and still maintain my $5 Ring account for tomorrows assault. Of course experiencing daily ring play is the secondary goal.

The more I make in cash game profits, the bigger and more tourneys I can play in...all micro's of course...SnG's and MTT's both.

I won't risk more than $2 in a cash game and if I drop below a dollar I usually get out and move on to tourneys. When I double my money ($4), I bank the $2 profit and come back with my original $2 and start over. When and if I get to triple in my second ring assault.($6).I quit for the day...Total daily ring goal +$6....anything over $5 profit in the daily ring assault goes into Reserve (My future BR)

I play tourneys based on my tourney bankroll. If I have $5 profit from the morning ring games I can play the first tourney in $1 to $2....$2K-$5K gauranteed tourneys....and 25 cent to $1 sngs in sebsequent games. I play the 10 cent to 25 cent sng's if I lose money in the morning ring games. If I profited in the morning ring assault (I try desperately to play tourneys with only my AM ring profits) I leave the original $5 tourney account in tack, thus trying to play the tourney part of the day as I said, with ring profits only.

At the end of the day, If I have over $15...I restore the ring account to $5 and the tourney account to $5 and the balance in the reserve (Future BR) account. If at the end of the day my account is under $15, I chop into thirds and place one third in each account. Tomorrow is a new day!!!

I'm sorry for making this long winded, I condensed it as much as I could. Thank you all for your help and advice in the past....as well as the future...please reply...BUT constuctive criticism only please. Thank you...I AM A DONK...YOU ARE A DONK...WE ARE ALL HERE TRYING TO IMPROVE.. Please help me get de-donked!!!

TY again
The General

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 12:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
Ive seen you in the pso warm ups general and you always give me a run for my money. Im trying to switch over from amateur to pro one day myself.

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 02:02 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Good luck man and are you really a General? lol

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 02:16 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
GL Geo, and I wish I had more tips for ya. But, I don't play NL cash. Look up my blog post regarding FR tho. It may help. GL -shark

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 02:22 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
general seems you have a plan that works for you good luck maybe we we will see you on tv one day

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 02:34 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Superboygold,

Yes, I have you on my radar,....my player book... You always give me a run as well. Thanks for the nod.

Do you play in cash ring games at all??

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
Good luck man and are you really a General? lol

Roomick, I'm not a real general...lol

I don't get asked that question much at the tables, but when I do... I tell them

"It's a Persona"....
"I'm a poker player so I would never lie"...
I tell the people who ask, ......."I'm a chip general......my chips are my soldiers......Etc"

I have whole schtick and routine...lol

Before I joined PS, I researched avatars and perceptions, and came up with this name and avatar to give me a certain presence at the online table....

Plus I play a lot late at night (my day, I'm a night person...sortof) and I play against a lot of European/EasternBloc/Russians....and it keeps them on their toes....they hate me.

Most people think I'm a retired General, and I act like I am, I get a certain amount of respect from it....Until they get tired of me pushing them around...lol

I have fun with it when I'm flirting with the pretty girl avatars.... I ask them if they like Military men?...lol.... If they respond...I ask them if they want to ride my tank....lol....it has a really big canon....
Thats when I start losing my concentration....and then start losing my chips...

Anyway.....no I'm not a real General....

NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 20 GRUNT....

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:29 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahmani381 View Post
general seems you have a plan that works for you good luck maybe we we will see you on tv one day

Thanks Bahamani.....I don't need the 15 min of fame....just the fortune...there I go dreaming again...

Thanks for the "good Luck" nod, Lady Luck, she is a ****led hussy.....I still love her though...

Sometimes she uses the whip...sometime she uses the feather.....

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:32 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Arrgggg the blocked my perfectly clean word...F I C K L E D Hussy

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:46 PM
(#10)
LOL yeah I noticed about a month ago that they blocked the word F I C K L E in any of it's permutations here.

And the last three days on me she has'nt been nearly so subtle. She's just straight wailing on me with a Morning Star with big ass spikes. If you see me on the tables right now and you have KJo shove that sucker at me,AA once and QQ twice today went down to it,ALL on the river,once to a belly buster.

LOL Geo has a dream. Right now I have an umbrella the way Stars is pissing on me.

But that's cool. It is what it is. I'm shutting it down and going out for some brews.

But bet your ass I'll be back tomorrow.

Have a good one.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 10:06 PM..

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:53 PM
(#11)
i need that umbrella too mox... i come back from vegas and pokerstars smacks me like a dog that just chit on the rug

anyways gl general

i'm sure all of have this dream but you have a PLAN too which is good IMO

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:57 PM
(#12)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
No General Geo, I usually play tournaments, cash games always hurt me, i have tried some limit games with some success though. I wish you lotsn of luck Geo, hmm I wonder do you own a Geo Tracker?

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 10:24 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatack89 View Post
GL Geo, and I wish I had more tips for ya. But, I don't play NL cash. Look up my blog post regarding FR tho. It may help. GL -shark
Thanks Sharkatack.... I do like your posts, they are informative.....I don't have a feel for the whole history you have here, other than the few things said, but it's very obvious from your recent.....My story thread and blog, you are one of the serious students here,,,,thank you for the nod.

The reason I play the .01/.02 NLHE, tables for the min buy in of $2...is the same reason you don't play them. when you can double and triple up through one player you have a read on...it's very nice and that's what I am looking for.... but you can get hosed by the all-in junkies....just playing for fun with their entertainment dollars and approach to the game... especially at micro stake numbers....

Besides trying for the chip up to pay for tourneys, I'm getting the time on the N L cash tables I need to grow that part of my game.

Right now I'm flip flopping over wether to play 9 seat or 6 seat ring tables thouigh......

I like the 6 seat table because I like facing the fewest opponents at showdown... When you start with 6 players, you usually get only 1-2 challengers when it's showdown time...plus at 6 tables you only have 5 players to get reads on....instead of 8 players on the 9 seat table.

I like the 9 seat table because it's a cheaper table to play, regarding the blinds... It's a 2 to 3 proposition. On the 9 seat table, you pay two rounds of blinds for every 18 hands, on the 6 seat table you pay three rounds of blinds for every 18 hands. The other thing I like is the fact that 9 player tables usually have bigger average pots than 6 player tables...

I like the 6 player tables when I want to get more heads up action, I play with a more aggressive approach.

I like 9 player tables when I'm penny pinching and playing real tight. Waiting for a strong opening hand despite position, take a lot of patience and hands....

I'm currently playing 9 seat ring tables. I don't like 6 seat games in tourneys though..

Any feed back on this question will be appreciated.

Thanks again Shark....

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 10:36 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
LOL yeah I noticed about a month ago that they blocked the word F I C K L E in any of it's permutations here.

And the last three days on me she has'nt been nearly so subtle. She's just straight wailing on me with a Morning Star with big ass spikes. If you see me on the tables right now and you have KJo shove that sucker at me,AA once and QQ twice today went down to it,ALL on the river,once to a belly buster.

LOL Geo has a dream. Right now I have an umbrella the way Stars is pissing on me.

But that's cool. It is what it is. I'm shutting it down and going out for some brews.

But bet your ass I'll be back tomorrow.

Have a good one.

Thanks Pip, It always a pleasure to trade a few barbs with you and play cards with you. The trick is to not start likeing the pain she inflicks.

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 10:53 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.duce View Post
i need that umbrella too mox... i come back from vegas and pokerstars smacks me like a dog that just chit on the rug

anyways gl general

i'm sure all of have this dream but you have a PLAN too which is good IMO

Thanks duece, I hope finds the boa feathers for ya...

Old
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 10:58 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL_GEO View Post
Thanks Sharkatack.... I do like your posts, they are informative.....I don't have a feel for the whole history you have here, other than the few things said, but it's very obvious from your recent.....My story thread and blog, you are one of the serious students here,,,,thank you for the nod.

The reason I play the .01/.02 NLHE, tables for the min buy in of $2...is the same reason you don't play them. when you can double and triple up through one player you have a read on...it's very nice and that's what I am looking for.... but you can get hosed by the all-in junkies....just playing for fun with their entertainment dollars and approach to the game... especially at micro stake numbers....

Besides trying for the chip up to pay for tourneys, I'm getting the time on the N L cash tables I need to grow that part of my game.

Right now I'm flip flopping over wether to play 9 seat or 6 seat ring tables thouigh......

I like the 6 seat table because I like facing the fewest opponents at showdown... When you start with 6 players, you usually get only 1-2 challengers when it's showdown time...plus at 6 tables you only have 5 players to get reads on....instead of 8 players on the 9 seat table.

I like the 9 seat table because it's a cheaper table to play, regarding the blinds... It's a 2 to 3 proposition. On the 9 seat table, you pay two rounds of blinds for every 18 hands, on the 6 seat table you pay three rounds of blinds for every 18 hands. The other thing I like is the fact that 9 player tables usually have bigger average pots than 6 player tables...

I like the 6 player tables when I want to get more heads up action, I play with a more aggressive approach.

I like 9 player tables when I'm penny pinching and playing real tight. Waiting for a strong opening hand despite position, take a lot of patience and hands....

I'm currently playing 9 seat ring tables. I don't like 6 seat games in tourneys though..

Any feed back on this question will be appreciated.

Thanks again Shark....

Well if there is a measuring stick in ring games I guess nanonoko could make a case for being it and he plays 6-max tables.

Yes I know he's a multi-tabling sicko but I'm going to guess that he started at 1 table,then moved to 2, then 3 and so on. And keep in mind that he broke the $1 million barrier on $2-4 tables.

Now I'm not saying that you,me or anyone here can or will be the next nanonoko,but it also shows that you don't have to drop a $10K deposit on here to go for it if you're willing to work (really work) at it.

Good luck to Geo and anyone else with a dream.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:25 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Thanks Pip.

Dream update: day 3

Current BR $17.64....up $2.64

Ring Account: ................$5
Tourney Account:...........$5
Reserve Account:..........$7.64

One of my many sayings is....It's a cynch by the inch....Hard by the yard!!!

I'm happy with chipping up everyday....even if it's just a lowly penny...

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:01 AM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL_GEO View Post
Thanks Pip.

Dream update: day 3

Current BR $17.64....up $2.64

Ring Account: ................$5
Tourney Account:...........$5
Reserve Account:..........$7.64

One of my many sayings is....It's a cynch by the inch....Hard by the yard!!!

I'm happy with chipping up everyday....even if it's just a lowly penny...
Hey Geo want to wish you good luck on your goal.

I an trying a similar experiment which I started back in October. I used to deposit on PS few years ago but thru lack of skill and terrible bankroll management I would end up broke every few months. So I quit PS.

I stumbled on the POKER SCHOOL last October and saw the potential to restart my BR but this time on PS's dime. So I had about $5 left in my account and my goal was to build a BR and not ever have to deposit again. ( It's a long long term goal)

Here is what has worked for me. I noticed you are still Whitestar in PSO. Based on your deposit history and your current BR your number one goal this month should be to get 20VPPS so you can be ACTIVE next month is PSO.

Being Active and grinding it out in PSO will get you a monthly cash reward similar to what you have been depositing each month. Even if you keep your BR steady, grind out the 20 vpps, the monthly PSO cash reward will grow your BR.

Second thing is read all you can about Bankroll Management. It is the online poker secret most players ignore. I have read every thread in the BR forum and have developed my own system from the great advice in this section.

Slow and steady is working for me far. I got active in PSO in November and with the help of my monthly leaderboard finishes and a sick run of cards in January playing micro PL omaha h/l, I've turned that $5 into a bankroll of $278 as of yesterday. I'm just starting to explore the 10/25 level but really should be staying at 05/10c till I get to around $400. It takes discipline to stay at the proper levels but it does work.

Finally, I'm running a freeroll for Whitestar players like yourself and you are welcome to give it a shot. You may be able to add a few $$ to your BR, we have a $19 prize pool and the game is Monday night at 8:15pm. The details are at the link attached.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...l-Zero-to-Hero

Last edited by freddysw; Sun Mar 13, 2011 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: add link

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:35 AM
(#19)
Since: Apr 2010
Good Luck

Hope to play you soon

Give you the funky monkey business

spike

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 12:28 PM
(#20)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Good luck General. Books and studying are great, but experience will always be the most important factor. So play often and play hard!

I'm currently nine tabling $2 NLHE 6-max cash games and overall I would say I'm crushing it so believe me when I say there is money to be made there! $5 bankroll for those tables is not much however, if you have a bad run of luck you could lose it all in a single night. Odds are in your favor though!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com