Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

getting nervous in tourneys

Old
Default
getting nervous in tourneys - Sat Mar 12, 2011, 01:19 PM
(#1)
D&J257's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 29
WhiteStar
I was wondering if this is normal or if other people have experienced this as well. This is my 2nd month playing the PSO league and last month I just played enough to qualify for my daily Sunday warm up ticket. I have had some good placements in the PSO league cashed in the NAPL rookie and senior leagues as well as cashed in the Hubble 2nd round tourney’s as well. But I find myself getting nervous the farther I get in these tourneys and it affect’s my play. Is this one of those things that will go away with time? Look forward to hearing from anyone that can give me some help or thoughts on this matter.
 
Old
Default
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 01:36 PM
(#2)
turbo awdcar's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 55
WhiteStar
i used to get nervous at cash table's. my bank roll started with winning 2 buck's at NAPL rookie.
i took all of it to a cash table and was sweating bullet's

but a few hours ago i bought into a $5.50 tournament and it was semi smooth sailing the whole way.
placed 187th and won $15 .

so yeah your nerves do dull over a bit but there are still exciting hand's.
 
Old
Default
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 01:46 PM
(#3)
PanickyPoker's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,168
I used to get all jittery when I played. Especially in stressful situations at the tables. It does go away as you get used to the games and as you gain confidence. Also, the less you do to stress yourself, the better, so don't gamble with too much at once.
 
Old
Default
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 02:03 PM
(#4)
shirshot's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 665
I did get nervous but then after the influence of a few PSO members I learned to drink.
I now have nerves of steel.


Looking for a new mentor cause now I have bed spins every time I go to bed!
 
Old
Default
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 02:10 PM
(#5)
sharkatack89's Avatar
Since: Nov 2010
Posts: 536
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J257 View Post
I was wondering if this is normal or if other people have experienced this as well. This is my 2nd month playing the PSO league and last month I just played enough to qualify for my daily Sunday warm up ticket. I have had some good placements in the PSO league cashed in the NAPL rookie and senior leagues as well as cashed in the Hubble 2nd round tourney’s as well. But I find myself getting nervous the farther I get in these tourneys and it affect’s my play. Is this one of those things that will go away with time? Look forward to hearing from anyone that can give me some help or thoughts on this matter.
Been playing a long time, But, I do recall playing a 10K buying WPT w/ Lane Flak and being really rattled. Hate when pro's talk to ya at the table. LOL. I'd suggest a trick a friend taught me. If you find yourself nervous, count to 5 before every decision. Will help you calm down and make better decisions. Once the decision making has become natural for ya. You can stop counting to 5. Hope this helps and gl. -shark.
 
Old
Default
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 05:38 PM
(#6)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,831
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
you want to be nervous in tournies....... try having your first time against pros live have a person sit down right next to you that just won over $600k in the WSOP..... that will get you nervous.

Live, someone can pick up on it.... online, nobody can look thru your computer screen... gives you an advantage.
 
Old
Default
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 07:37 PM
(#7)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J257 View Post
I was wondering if this is normal or if other people have experienced this as well. This is my 2nd month playing the PSO league and last month I just played enough to qualify for my daily Sunday warm up ticket. I have had some good placements in the PSO league cashed in the NAPL rookie and senior leagues as well as cashed in the Hubble 2nd round tourney’s as well. But I find myself getting nervous the farther I get in these tourneys and it affect’s my play. Is this one of those things that will go away with time? Look forward to hearing from anyone that can give me some help or thoughts on this matter.
Nervous is good. Nervous means you care. Caring means you will hopefully take steps to improve your game. One of those improvements will be learning to control your nerves. You're going to run an emotional gamut in this game,from nervous,to elation,relief,depression,being fatalistic,angry,incredulous,you name it. Learning to curb those emotions and make proper descisions is something we all struggle with at times to varying degrees. Sharks count to five tip is a good one. I like to take 3 deep breaths before I make a crucial descision,whatever helps.
 
Old
Default
Sat Mar 12, 2011, 07:38 PM
(#8)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirshot View Post
I did get nervous but then after the influence of a few PSO members I learned to drink.
I now have nerves of steel.


Looking for a new mentor cause now I have bed spins every time I go to bed!

+ Infinity.
 
Old
Default
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 05:06 AM
(#9)
john.duce's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 232
i get nervous like a whore in church
 
Old
Default
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 07:40 AM
(#10)
turbo awdcar's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 55
WhiteStar
HAHAH thats because you play those $2.20 180 man turbo's. those are the most stessful games i ever played
 
Old
Default
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 08:07 AM
(#11)
topthecat's Avatar
Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,962
Nerves are natural and off course the further you progress, there is a tendency that nerves can get the better of you and you make weak plays. I find that the further I go especially in the PSO league the more nervous I get because losing all your chips around the mid point or the last 400 hundred players can be the difference in negative or positive points.

I would advise you to put all thoughts of points, chips etc out of your head and let your game flow. Do not let your nervousness or hoping to stay in the game, make points or make the money influence your decision making process.

I was in a spot the other day, quite short stacked, on the big blind and got pocket Qs, blinds were 500/1000 and I had 1500 chips or so left after posting my big blind. One caller with a huge stack and then it comes to the small blind. He moves his 4000, chips all in.

Now I had played this guy before, I knew he was loose and I knew he had just went all in with an air hand. It should have been an obvious call by me but nerves got the better of me, I could not make up my mind what to do, timed out and my hand was folded. The big stack called with Ace 9 suited, small blind A4 unsuited and he hit a four on the river to take the hand down, with a pair of fours.

If I had played the hand the way I should have played it, I could have cashed but fear and nerves got the better of me. It was a harsh lesson and one that I will learn from. Since that I have dispelled all thoughts of league position, I play every hand as it comes and trust my intuition. It is working for me, I hope that it can help you in your journey as well.

TC
 
Old
Default
advise - Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:21 AM
(#12)
jbwoods1969's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
WhiteStar
topthecat ankyou very much was a big help.
 
Old
Default
Cash Game - Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:14 AM
(#13)
tjpete1389's Avatar
Since: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
BronzeStar
I have not been playing poker for very long (4 months) and have had a lot of ups and downs. I was down to my last $10 in BR and got greedy / impatient. I read somewhere that with such a small BR one might as well by into a $.10/.25 cash game and hope to double up. Well I did and played super tight and moderately aggressive.

Well, within about 40 minutes, I was at $0. I kept waiting for that monster hand and I never really came. I didn't play aggressively enough pre or post flop because I was scared to make a mistake. Those that I did play aggressive whn I did have a decent hand caused everyone to fold.

It was a stupid strategy to begin with but a good lesson. I still play the cash games, but now keep it at the $.01/.02 and maybe $.02/.04. I also make sure to not buy in more than 10% of my BR. This gives me confidence and keeps me from getting nervous because I can still play aggressive and if things don't go well and I bust it all, I still have an intact BR. The same holds true for SNG's and tourneys. Keep the buy-in modest and then play your game and forget about what is on the line or how much you can win. Play your game and if it is a good game (sounds like it is), then you will win over time. I deposited another $40 after my above mentioned bust and let it slide down to about $20. I found a couple games that work well for me ($1.75 SNG 18 players), got a $10 reload bonus for getting half the required VPP's, and cashed $5 for the Feb PSO league. I also played a satelite for the Sunday Million 5th Anniv and won a ticket that I cashed in for tourney money. Used that tourney money to cash another satty and cashed that also. I used most of that $22 in tourney cash for the SNG I mentioned above and have done well. My BR is now strong and healthy and growing.

Good luck!
 
Old
Default
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 03:02 PM
(#14)
Darkman61's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,225
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
I would advise you to put all thoughts of points, chips etc out of your head and let your game flow. Do not let your nervousness or hoping to stay in the game, make points or make the money influence your decision making process.

I was in a spot the other day, quite short stacked, on the big blind and got pocket Qs, blinds were 500/1000 and I had 1500 chips or so left after posting my big blind. One caller with a huge stack and then it comes to the small blind. He moves his 4000, chips all in.

Now I had played this guy before, I knew he was loose and I knew he had just went all in with an air hand. It should have been an obvious call by me but nerves got the better of me, I could not make up my mind what to do, timed out and my hand was folded. The big stack called with Ace 9 suited, small blind A4 unsuited and he hit a four on the river to take the hand down, with a pair of fours.

If I had played the hand the way I should have played it, I could have cashed but fear and nerves got the better of me. It was a harsh lesson and one that I will learn from. Since that I have dispelled all thoughts of league position, I play every hand as it comes and trust my intuition. It is working for me, I hope that it can help you in your journey as well.

TC
Really? Well good luck with that.

By the way. What's your month end target ?
 
Old
Default
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 04:00 PM
(#15)
topthecat's Avatar
Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,962
Top 1000 is the target this month Darkman. I have to be realistic

Maybe you misread my point; if you really tighten up and be super tight and aggressive because of nerves and because you are too focused on where you will finish or how much you will get then that is a leak and I feel folding Qs to an all in raise from a player raising with air is a leak.

I find that if I just focus on the game itself and put the other stuff out of my head that I bring my best game to the table and my best game is tight aggressive but not being a nit.

I just shared with the others what has been helpful for myself and hope it helps them as well. I realise that you are more experienced than I am and a much better player and would be grateful if you could highlight the flaw in my approach and maybe come up with a better suggestion to deal with nerves.

Thanks for the appreciation jbwood and thanks for the critique darkman.

TC
 
Old
Default
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:05 PM
(#16)
Darkman61's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,225
BronzeStar
Well the problem TC is that you can't compare what's required in the PSO League games with what you should be doing in a standard MTT. They really couldn't be more different. I won't waffle on because this is going off subject really, but your only objective in the league should be to survive for as long as possible. And there are times when even folding Aces is acceptable to achieve your goal.

Sorry Pete. I'll post something more relevant when I've got a mo
 
Old
Default
Target - Tue Mar 15, 2011, 10:50 AM
(#17)
D&J257's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 29
WhiteStar
I would like to finish in the top 100 or at least reach 1800's in my score.
 
Old
Default
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 10:55 AM
(#18)
D&J257's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 29
WhiteStar
Thanks for the reply .This makes sense I will def try to put the into my thoughts.
 
Old
Default
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 10:59 AM
(#19)
D&J257's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 29
WhiteStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Nerves are natural and off course the further you progress, there is a tendency that nerves can get the better of you and you make weak plays. I find that the further I go especially in the PSO league the more nervous I get because losing all your chips around the mid point or the last 400 hundred players can be the difference in negative or positive points.

I would advise you to put all thoughts of points, chips etc out of your head and let your game flow. Do not let your nervousness or hoping to stay in the game, make points or make the money influence your decision making process.

I was in a spot the other day, quite short stacked, on the big blind and got pocket Qs, blinds were 500/1000 and I had 1500 chips or so left after posting my big blind. One caller with a huge stack and then it comes to the small blind. He moves his 4000, chips all in.

Now I had played this guy before, I knew he was loose and I knew he had just went all in with an air hand. It should have been an obvious call by me but nerves got the better of me, I could not make up my mind what to do, timed out and my hand was folded. The big stack called with Ace 9 suited, small blind A4 unsuited and he hit a four on the river to take the hand down, with a pair of fours.

If I had played the hand the way I should have played it, I could have cashed but fear and nerves got the better of me. It was a harsh lesson and one that I will learn from. Since that I have dispelled all thoughts of league position, I play every hand as it comes and trust my intuition. It is working for me, I hope that it can help you in your journey as well.

TC

Thanks for the tip makes allot of sense will def try and put this into my thoughts and play.
 
Old
Default
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 11:07 AM
(#20)
!!!111Dan's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,290
Welcome to the league and the forum D & J!
I've said it before..nothing gets the blood pumpin' early like pocket rockets in level 2 in the 10am pso game.
Live...I won't even look at cards, especially early, until it's my turn to act. I am cursed w/ the shaky hands thing, so if I haven't had a little something to calm my nerves before the game starts...I'm easier to read than Dr. Suess!
Like the pipster said, if you're nervous, it means you're "into it." And that's a good thing!
Take care and best o' luck!
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com