Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

$4 2R1A Mid Stage: Pocket Pairs vs. All-In Shoves (Two Hands)

Old
$4 2R1A Mid Stage: Pocket Pairs vs. All-In Shoves (Two Hands) - Sat Mar 12, 2011, 10:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
So, here's the setup for these hands. We're in the middle of a 2R1A rebuy, and I'm sitting with a healthy(ish) stack. The villain is a Silver Star player who has previously stated that she's won $40,000 online (I never checked; didn't really care ). Anyway, she seemed pretty good, and in the first hand she jammed the pot with a short enough stack to get me in the pot with any pair, really. I forgot to consider iso jamming, but I'm not totally sure that would have been a good idea. Bit of a foggy spot for me, so comment on that if you want. Anyway, I checked it down, and lost the hand. The next hand immediately follows this hand.

Here's the reason I'm posting this (and I'm using the FTR converter because it's more convenient to use when sticking in chat). In the next hand, the villain made a speech, and jammed the pot again. This time, though, she wasn't a short stack. Her shove was for twenty big blinds. Immediately I thought of the adage saying that whenever someone makes a speech, they've got it, and the fact that the villain was jamming with a stack that was way too big to be open jamming only strengthened that read in my mind. Objectively, I had a strong hand that was better than the one that I had called with previously. But because of the size of the shove, and the suspicious nature with which it was made, I folded without much of a second thought. I pegged this scenario for later analysis, and here it is now.

What do you guys think of my fold in the second hand, and how I played them overall? I'm curious what your thoughts are. Post, post, post!

Thanks for reading guys, and I appreciate anyone who leaves an opinion.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 4.4 Tournament, 350/700 Blinds 85 Ante (8 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO (t7811)
Button (t28513)
Panicky (SB) (t18356)
BB (t44771)
UTG (t12425)
UTG+1 (t20267)
Villain (MP1) (t4649)
MP2 (t18113)

Panicky's M: 10.61

Preflop: Panicky is SB with 4, 4
2 folds, Villain bets t4564 (All-In), 3 folds, Panicky calls t4214, BB calls t3864

Flop: (t14372) 9, 3, 3 (3 players, 1 all-in)
Panicky checks, BB checks

Turn: (t14372) 5 (3 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t14372) 5 (3 players, 1 all-in)

Villain said, "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

Total pot: t14372

Results:
Panicky had 4, 4 (two pair, fives and fours).
BB mucked Q, K (two pair, fives and threes).
Villain had Q, 9 (two pair, nines and fives).
Outcome: Villain won t14372

One hand later...

MP3 (t7726)
CO (t28428)
Panicky (Button) (t13707)
SB (t40122)
BB (t12340)
UTG (t20182)
UTG+1 (t27502)
Villain (MP1) (t14372)
MP2 (t18028)

Panicky's M: 7.55

Preflop: Panicky is Button with 7, 7

SB said, "lucky there"

2 folds,

Villain said, "yep"
Villain said, "again now?"

Villain bets t14287 (All-In), 6 folds

Total pot: t2515

Results:
Villain didn't show
Outcome: Villain won t2515

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 10:42 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com