Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Advice please...Emotions vs Poker

Old
Advice please...Emotions vs Poker - Sun Mar 13, 2011, 05:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
i really need help with something and would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could give.
i know a lot of you get frustrated when you lose a big hand or get knocked out early in a tourney rather it be pso or something else. i found that my emotions get the best of me most of the time then i begin to play bad. when i do let them get the best of me i play like a donkeyassclown shoving any two cards and when i finally settle my emotions down its too late, i dont like playing like a donk what so ever. if anyone could give me some advice on how to deal with emotions rather its with good emotions or bad i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks all

Z

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 08:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
A tough 1. As a person who also has problems controlling emotions all I can say is look at the top pros, they still get pissed off. I try and think of variance and try to keep thinking "these ace rag donkeys will pay me off in the long run". That said I still tilt, just for a shorter period of time. Hey, I saw Ivey show emotion at the table the other day so no one is immune. Well, thats pretty crappy advice but its all I have. Good luck and see you out there.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:53 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarms82 View Post
i really need help with something and would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could give.
i know a lot of you get frustrated when you lose a big hand or get knocked out early in a tourney rather it be pso or something else. i found that my emotions get the best of me most of the time then i begin to play bad. when i do let them get the best of me i play like a donkeyassclown shoving any two cards and when i finally settle my emotions down its too late, i dont like playing like a donk what so ever. if anyone could give me some advice on how to deal with emotions rather its with good emotions or bad i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks all

Z
The best thing that works for me seems to be to walk away for at least 15 minutes. If the big hand you lose happens early enough in the tournament, one does not need to be concerned with antes eating away at your stack. Go outside, walk around the block, whatever, just get away.
You usually have more time than you think. There's no need to push the panic button. If the tournament has a fairly flat payout structure, like a satty or PSO, there's alot of time to be patient. Comebacks can happen if on-table craziness can be minimized. I've seen my own stack dwindle to 20 chips only to come back ITM.

Im just sayin...

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:59 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Poker is much like any other part of life. One has to be able to balance everything in order to accomplish their goals. Things are going to happen in this game. Once you realize that you can't always control them. You will be fine. Just make sure you are making the correct moves and in time. Things will fall into place. Analyze everything.........make certain that your moves are right.

GL
JT

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 01:39 PM
(#5)
This is the same advise for being nervous too.
Count to 5 before pushing the all in buttton or call button. It's amazing what your mind will do
5 seconds later.

Forget about the hand that just happen. But remember how the player acted with those
cards he / she held for future reference.
Your mind is your only enemy at the table. Learn to control your mind and nothing can stop
your success.

Last edited by shirshot; Sun Mar 13, 2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 04:28 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
thanks everyone for the advice,

GL ALL

Z

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 05:25 PM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
I have the same problem. Tilt gets to me but luckily I feel it hits hardest when I've been knocked out of a tourney. If I lose a quarter of my bankroll cos some donk sucks out on me, it bothers me but I still have chips and can move past it. When a suck out costs me my place in the game (which happens the vast majority of the time) I get pissed and shouldn't play again for a while. The emotional trauma of my current downswing has me scarred . If been sucked out on so many times I have become much more gun-shy and certainly that has affected my game. I make less off my big hands (large assumption that I will win them) because unless I have the pure nuts, I don't feel good about it. Tilt affects me too mate but can't give you too much advice on how to deal with it. I plan to take some time off until I feel better about playing here again.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:06 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
i think i get even more emotional when i flop a full house or a set with pockets and get beat by someone with a great hand that knows he or she should of folded yet call and hit and bigger set or full house, that makes me question how to play my hands better and i lose confidence in my abilities. the good thing is we get to learn more about the game and its free,

gl

Z

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 07:58 PM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Free? I've lost $170 in 2 months.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:06 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
i was talking about pso as in free

Old
Mon Mar 14, 2011, 05:32 AM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Give it a dozen years and bad beats become such second nature that you just move on.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com