Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Know When to Walk Away....Know When to RUN!!!!!

Old
Know When to Walk Away....Know When to RUN!!!!! - Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:22 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Although Kenny Rogers was most likely refering to the deadly nature of poker back in the gun slinger days, I think that I should have known when to RUN last night. I was playing in a .01/.02 NL Cash game and bought in for $2. The total session was 113 hands over 97 minutes. By half-way through the session I had turned my $2 in to $5+ and was ready to cash out. I had some good hands, played them well, and was able to get others to put alot of $$$ in the pot. It also didn't hurt that some cards went my way. I typically play 20% of hands dealt, but was playing a wider range last night ocne I got upa bit in $$$ and foldiong the flop if nothing came. Last night I played 38% (433 of 113 hands) of the hands delt and raised pre-flop on 18 of those 113 hands.

Then a couple new folks came to the trable and were just going all in with moderate hands. My read was that they were scared to play the hand, but wanted to get at least a few cents froma decent hand. So I decided to stick around and see if I could take advantage and get some more. Whenever I start getting greedy things go bad. I lost 2 stratight hands to suck outs, which dropped me down to about a $1.50. Then instead of walking away and cutting my losses, I TILTED the rest away.

Check it out.....Comments welcome. What would you have done? The good thing is that after this I did cash $10.80 in a $1.75 SNG (18).

Thanks, TJ.

Last edited by tjpete1389; Sun Mar 13, 2011 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Hands in wrong order on Replayer

Old
Hand #1 KK - Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:31 AM
(#2)
BronzeStar

Old
Hand #1 QTo - Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:32 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar

Old
Hand #3 T9s - Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:33 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar

Old
Hand #4 - AQs - Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:34 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 11:22 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi TJ,

My comments for what they are worth:

Hand 1 KK: weak raise out of position preflop, let villain take pot control. I cannot blame you for getting him all in on the flop but that is what he wanted you to do. Did you consider what holding he had and that he was on a flush draw and had top pair with top kicker? Flat calling on the flop would maybe have alerted you to this fact.

Hand 2 QT unsuited: I do not understand the 3x raise under the gun with this holding. Good flop but the Q is weak, his all in raise is beyond me but he caught the river. Unlucky but some guys fish with any two cards and if they are not at the table that long you have no read on them plus you had the stack to pay him off if he hit. Warped thinking I know but this is the way some people play.

Hand3 9,10 suited. Again position, you called a 3X raise and give the villain no credit for even a pair. Full pot raise on flop, 2 callers and you should have known your pair was probably behind, half pot raise on turn with two pair, you are ahead but must see the flush draw, river 1/3 pot raise with no consideration for the flush. Looks like Tilt.

Hand4 AQ suited: I think you are chasing shadows by this stage, two raisers pre flop; you call both. Are you giving any consideration to what they may have not to just what is in your hand? No disrespect but raising to the aggressor on a board where you have hit nothing is a pure donk play. Calling his all in is just poker suicide in the extreme.

Too many leaks TJ, experienced players, especially the multi-tablers, will put you six feet under if you play like this.

Poker is not about having the best hand or thinking you have the best hand and putting all your money in. It is about knowing how to extract value when you can and knowing that if you make the wrong move someone will extract the value from you.

I hope you do not think the criticism is too harsh but I am trying to help you not to lose money like this in the future. Take a bit of time out, study the resources on PSO, learn about position, bet sizing and putting your opponents on a range. Never get involved in a hand with someone unless you know their Poker modus operandi. Take notes. Learn to walk first, learn patience and discipline and later down the line you can start running.

You have the makings of a good player, but you need to get a solid base first.

Good luck at the tables.

TC

PS: One of the great practical drawbacks of the Replayer (it is a very useful tool) is that if you post four or five in the same thread they all open at once. Maybe admin or the techy guys at PSO can come up with a way to rectify this?

Thanks

TC

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 12:06 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I buy in to $2 nl cash tables with $2. If I more than double my money to $4+ I generally leave the table if there are other players with $4 or more in their stacks. I don't like risking double my original buy-in. If I wanted to do that I would be playing $5 nl. I had a similar experience to yours one night, I was up to $8+ at a $2nl table and I ended up leaving the table with $0. I'm fairly certain when I dropped down to $3.50 I should have got the hell out of there lol.

Your hand replays aren't working for me, just see a line of text. Since you posted more than one maybe you could link them?

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 07:44 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
I buy in to $2 nl cash tables with $2. If I more than double my money to $4+ I generally leave the table if there are other players with $4 or more in their stacks
This may not be good. If you have a skill edge, you would usually welcome playing deeper stacked. But it may be good for you.

Some factors that would support staying in the game:
-You have a skill edge over the deep stacked villain(s). (be honest here)
-There are some really big fish at the table who, although maybe not 200 bb's deep, you don't want to lose the right to play against.
-You are playing well, and/or have a solid image.

Some factors that would support you leaving:
-Deep stacked villain(s) have a skill edge on you (be honest here), or at least there is not much edge either way.
-You are not comfortable playing 200 bb's deep
-You are not playing very well, or have a poor image (assume you got lucky to double up in this spot).
-No fish factor incentive to stay.
-Losing your 200 bb stack will tilt you and cost you EV at your other tables/games.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:57 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
TC - I appreciate that you took the time to look and comment on each hand. Definitely some good thoughts. I played the KK pretty consistently with what I normally would. The QT I would not have normally played, but as I said I was feeliong good about being deep stacked and felt that I could take advantage of the villians loose nature. The last two were pretty much tilt. Thanks again.

Rocker - Thanks for your thoughts. I try to have an exit strategy for both winning and losing but am having trouble disciplining myself to stick with it. I think that I have some of Dave's thought's above in my head or maybe I'm just being greedy. Until I get some more experience I think I should walk after a decent profit or after I lose half my buy-in.

Dave - Appreciate your training classes and the fact that you take the time to actively participate in these types of forums. Always very well though out advise.

Thanks all, TJ.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:21 PM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
After reading Dave's great post I think what I posted my not really apply to your situation. I am often leaving the tables after doubling up in an attempt to lower variance on myself. That is not really ideal if your looking to make as much money as possible. I am in an inbetween phase of moving from $2nl to $5nl and I don't want huge fluctuations in my bankroll. Normally, I wouldn't leave the table out of fear of losing an extra large stack. In a normal situation, definitely follow Dave's expert advice!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com