Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Team Battle for April

Old
Team Battle for April - Sun Mar 13, 2011, 05:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
OK...so I have an idea for April and I want to see if there is any interest. I was thinking of doing a team competition for PSO tournaments.

Here is the way it would work

1) Teams would be 3 players.

2) Entry fee would be $3 per team ($1 per player).

3) 100% of prize money would be awarded based on number of teams. 1 in every 5 teams would cash.

4) Points would be awarded based on average points per PSO tournament. For example, a player plays 15 PSO tournaments and winds up with 1650 points. Their average would be 10 points, so that would be 10 points for the team.

5) Minimum of 10 League games is required to be eligible.

So, anybody have any interest in this or any other ideas?

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 05:15 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
I am interested in this. Blind draw for teams or we pick?

JT

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 05:22 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Sooooted View Post
I am interested in this. Blind draw for teams or we pick?

JT
I believe it should be recruit your own team. A player may only be on one team though.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 05:26 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
I think the 'we pick' idea might actually kill the action, since nobody's going to challenge datzang, shark, and II CoTe ll, or however the favourite team ends up looking. There will be one, or maybe two or three, favourite teams though. The rest would just be laying down after round one when they realize how far behind they are.

I think the idea is interesting. I haven't been making any time for the league in the past few months, but I wouldn't be opposed to putting in 10 games if my team is blind picked.

Edit: Again, the recruiting idea doesn't appeal to me, but it might be a fun way to spice up the league.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 05:33 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
I think the 'we pick' idea might actually kill the action, since nobody's going to challenge datzang, shark, and II CoTe ll, or however the favourite team ends up looking. There will be one, or maybe two or three, favourite teams though. The rest would just be laying down after round one when they realize how far behind they are.

I think the idea is interesting. I haven't been making any time for the league in the past few months, but I wouldn't be opposed to putting in 10 games if my team is blind picked.

Edit: Again, the recruiting idea doesn't appeal to me, but it might be a fun way to spice up the league.
I'd suggest getting a list of all players who want to be in this. Then Going by draft system like picking. Lowest Rank Player picking first, then next lowest ranked until 2/3 of field gone. Then restart at beginning again. Should even the teams out. -shark

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 05:37 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post

Panicky, the one thing I think you are overlooking is the average points factor. Yes, datzang, Cote, shark, Freddy, JT, and others are high on the leaderboard, but if you look at average points, some of them only average 4 or 5 points per tournament.

But this is why I am looking for feedback, and posted this early, so we can work out the logistics before we begin.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 05:44 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnnancy View Post
Panicky, the one thing I think you are overlooking is the average points factor. Yes, datzang, Cote, shark, Freddy, JT, and others are high on the leaderboard, but if you look at average points, some of them only average 4 or 5 points per tournament.

But this is why I am looking for feedback, and posted this early, so we can work out the logistics before we begin.
Eric is correct here. The points per is the most important factor. I can think of 5 players off the top of my head that play 20 or so and get up there. This is whom I am contacting.....hehehehe

JT

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:00 PM
(#8)
My apologies, I did overlook that. So, placing high in the league would become the deciding factor, like a typical MTT (and FT's would be a major +). That might actually deter some of the big winners from participating, since they usually just want to mincash. Of course, the way forum regs have been picking up any exciting action they can find lately, I'm sure quite a few of the big names in the league would get in on it.

I still prefer a less cliquey system of picking teams, personally, but I'm more interested in the idea now.

Also, you are suggesting that every game played would count towards the average score, correct? I think that's

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:04 PM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Sooooted View Post
Eric is correct here. The points per is the most important factor. I can think of 5 players off the top of my head that play 20 or so and get up there. This is whom I am contacting.....hehehehe

JT
Very Correct. I'd take Spudder and those others. Did not see that eric. Of course I think it's a fair way to judge, tho, you're going to lose the t10 contenders as some of us don't care how many games we have to play in order to try to win the $1500. And as such, I'd stay away from this contest. No biggie, just letting u know. -shark.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:22 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatack89 View Post
Very Correct. I'd take Spudder and those others. Did not see that eric. Of course I think it's a fair way to judge, tho, you're going to lose the t10 contenders as some of us don't care how many games we have to play in order to try to win the $1500. And as such, I'd stay away from this contest. No biggie, just letting u know. -shark.
Shark..you're backing off $1???LOL....that's okay. I was thinking of using your escrow service to hold the money so everyone would be happy and secure.

Anyway, we could do a blind pick, a draft, or have everyone pick their own teams. Let's see how many people we get interested and go from there.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:23 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
If I may offer myself as an example:

As of the time of this posting:

1,708 points in 29 games

I am qualified as a team player. My average is 7.17 points. (1707 - 1500) / 29

If the other players have similar records, our three-player team would have 21 points.

Is this correct?

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:24 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
If I may offer myself as an example:

As of the time of this posting:

1,708 points in 29 games

I am qualified as a team player. My average is 7.17 points. (1707 - 1500) / 29

If the other players have similar records, our three-player team would have 21 points.

Is this correct?
That is correct.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:33 PM
(#13)
SilverStar
Change the points system and increase the entry fee.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:38 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
I am just over 5 points per. I would say that is about average.

JT

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:43 PM
(#15)
Aren't there throttles that would affect the scoring system? So anybody who rises above the first throttle would actually take a hit to their average by playing more?

If I'm correct, that would mean that this challenge would favour people who only play the 10 games, or possibly a small handful more. Interesting.

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:48 PM
(#16)
7.57 for me, is that right?
1840.47 - 1500 = 340.47 / 45 = 7.57

I might just joined, if teams are built equally and not just pick who ever

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:48 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
There are always ways around or thru things. Find them first and run with it.

JT

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 07:07 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by II CoTe ll View Post
Change the points system and increase the entry fee.
And how do you propose a change in the points stystem?

Old
We Pick? - Sun Mar 13, 2011, 11:25 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnnancy View Post
I believe it should be recruit your own team. A player may only be on one team though.

You've already lost me, when you have 1000 top people getting paid every month, and the same people are at the top month after month in 20 or so tourneys. This is like picking baseball players that have a hitting average of .327 and have 40 homers in a year, load your team up with guys like that, that can also field, and you have a World Series Team, how many did the yanks win with their billion $ salary??. Same thing here, except here you have no profit sharing agreements between the players because their salary is more than other teams.

I can only guess at how many players will be picked from below 1000th on the leaderboard.My guess is none.
Kinda like picking teams when you were a kid, and there's enough for 2 teams without the nerds....the nerds get put on the sideline. as will happen here, you will have people left out of the league, and you can't do that, not fair to all players, giving them a shot at player rank points, while others have no chance at even getting picked. My guess is half of the top 500 ranked will be already gone, and if they are left, how much of a chance does a player like "tencat" have of getting even 1 of the top 500 to play with them? Not much. Did anyone even see if there was a multiplier factor to see if everyone in PSO could possibly join a team? Divide the amount of players in PSO right now by 3 and see how many people are left out automatically?

As of the time of this post, there are 11,206 players in PSO, 11,206players/3 per team =3735.33333 teams. You see that .33333, that means automatically you are leaving 1 person without a team. This seems fair?? But poker isn't fair right???

I wonder how much thought was put in to this? I'd bet not as much as I have just in the last 5 minutes, I just see huge faults with this, if you think this is going to be like I mention above, give me a hell yeah!

Last edited by Stakehorse75; Sun Mar 13, 2011 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: adding,

Old
Sun Mar 13, 2011, 11:38 PM
(#20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakehorse75 View Post
Kinda like picking teams when you were a kid, and there's enough for 2 teams without the nerds....the nerds get put on the sideline. as will happen here
I beg to differ. The nerds will be picked first.

Now, to address the argument that the league leaderboard front-page regulars will get picked first and will be guaranteed to win, we've already addressed that. A lot of them will refuse to partake in this little game, because the typical strategy that people use to do well in the league will cause them to lose this challenge. I suspect that not many people who who do well in the league will do well here, because it would be tricky to manage both challenges at once.

To address the multiplier factor, this is just a forum thing. I have doubts that every single member of the league will join in.

Happy Sunday!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com