Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this one...

Old
I'd appreciate your thoughts on this one... - Mon Mar 14, 2011, 02:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Back Ground.

We had just moved to the final table of a 27 man $1.20 SNG here.

Villain #, "Kitty", was at my previous table where they had seen me play KK for a "risky" flat call, and I scored "big" nice, and much smaller the 2nd time. Both those hands Kitty saw me "hold" my aggression to the turn.

I had noted that Kitty tended to make those "donk bets" you see here in (possibly) vain hopes of "protecting" semi-weak drawing hands, like gut shots and over card draws. In fact, I lost a decent sized pot to Kitty when they spiked a gutter ball vs my top/top hand earlier. I actually "read" kitty here for an Ace, with a range of kickers from around 8 thru K.

Villain #2, Xero, is new to the table, coming over just as the FT consolidated. The "feel" of this was certainly "flush draw", and possibly even just a naked 6, as there was no attempts to "take it" over my turn raise raise.

So with that said, what do you think of my play of this hand?

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=78BCFF5B6C

Old
. - Mon Mar 14, 2011, 07:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
The only other option I can see is a check-shove, but that's probably hindsight. Well played.

Good luck!!

Old
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 11:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Not a big fan of the limp, would rather iso the weak limper with a raise. Post flop play is fine, even better if you're sure kitty is 1) paying attention and 2) will read you for a big pair based on the play of the two KK hands and 3) has a fold button. All 3 of those may be suspect to a point. But the line itself, is actually one I like in deeper stacked cash games where the villains range can never be super strong but mine can. Perfect river card for you to continue the bluff.

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Not a big fan of the limp, would rather iso the weak limper with a raise. Post flop play is fine, even better if you're sure kitty is 1) paying attention and 2) will read you for a big pair based on the play of the two KK hands and 3) has a fold button. All 3 of those may be suspect to a point. But the line itself, is actually one I like in deeper stacked cash games where the villains range can never be super strong but mine can. Perfect river card for you to continue the bluff.
I'm defo not a fan of limping this stage of any SNG either, but Kitty DID a) have a fold button, at least pre-flop and against me, and b) enough 'variation" in the EP limps that I'm not really certain worse would have called an iso raise.

So Kitty would have either mucked worse, or flat called better...

Still, I get your point Dave, and cannot say I disagree.

My only 'defense" is to say the bulk of the table was brand new to me, so I wasn't in love with an AJo raise from EP. Were we at the old, shorter table, I would have definately iso popped.

Last edited by JDean; Wed Mar 16, 2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 01:45 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
My only 'defense" is to say the bulk of the table was brand new to me, so I wasn't in love with an AJo raise from EP. Were we at the old, shorter table, I would have definately iso popped.
Ok, I'm with ya, but what was your plan then if someone popped it pre? Because the 2 limps seem to be inviting a squeeze. If you're comfortable with your plan then ok. But I'm not personally... if we get raised behind, we'll have to fold AJ (not terribly attractive given we've invited a squeeze and a squeezer may be light, but with no read we really don't have much choice), or call and play a raised pot out of position which will be very difficult to do well with AJ (yuck), or limp-reraise and make a move on it which seems pretty terrible in this spot as well.

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 03:35 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Ok, I'm with ya, but what was your plan then if someone popped it pre? Because the 2 limps seem to be inviting a squeeze. If you're comfortable with your plan then ok. But I'm not personally... if we get raised behind, we'll have to fold AJ (not terribly attractive given we've invited a squeeze and a squeezer may be light, but with no read we really don't have much choice), or call and play a raised pot out of position which will be very difficult to do well with AJ (yuck), or limp-reraise and make a move on it which seems pretty terrible in this spot as well.
actually, I had considered that...

Kitty was my "target", as I felt strongly I could out play (or out flop) that person. There were no real "must shove" stacks behind, and I've noticed these 27 man's tend to get pretty rock-y at the final table due to the Battle of the Planet points. So there was a great chance any RR behind was a "real" hand that has AJo crushed.

Had I been RR'ed, my intention was to release, and move on.

Last edited by JDean; Wed Mar 16, 2011 at 03:38 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com