Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Should I have re-raised preflop?

Old
Should I have re-raised preflop? - Tue Mar 15, 2011, 01:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
PokerStars Game #59247354224: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02 USD) - 2011/03/15 20:02:28 EET [2011/03/15 14:02:28 ET]
Table 'Alathfar VII' 6-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: Lucky Noop ($1.62 in chips)
Seat 2: Rey_Monro ($1.06 in chips)
Seat 3: liuksa ($4.46 in chips)
Seat 4: Davor Manc ($1.55 in chips)
Seat 6: guruana ($2.46 in chips)
Davor Manc: posts small blind $0.01
iBeko: is sitting out
iBeko leaves the table
guruana: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to guruana [Qs Qc]
Lucky Noop: folds
Rey_Monro: folds
liuksa: folds
Davor Manc: raises $0.04 to $0.06
guruana: calls $0.04
*** FLOP *** [8h 5c 7h]
Davor Manc: checks
guruana: bets $0.07
Davor Manc: raises $0.07 to $0.14
guruana: calls $0.07
*** TURN *** [8h 5c 7h] [3s]
Davor Manc: bets $0.20
guruana: calls $0.20
*** RIVER *** [8h 5c 7h 3s] [2c]
Davor Manc: bets $0.36
guruana: calls $0.36
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Davor Manc: shows [7d 7c] (three of a kind, Sevens)
guruana: mucks hand
Davor Manc collected $1.45 from pot
E. Lacadena joins the table at seat #5
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $1.52 | Rake $0.07
Board [8h 5c 7h 3s 2c]
Seat 1: Lucky Noop folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Rey_Monro folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: liuksa (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Davor Manc (small blind) showed [7d 7c] and won ($1.45) with three of a kind, Sevens
Seat 6: guruana (big blind) mucked [Qs Qc]

Old
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 04:16 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
I feel like if the villian was on the button, playing how you did would have been acceptable. If he was on the button raising a lot, a raise to $0.18 would have been better. Because he was in the SB this hand, I feel like a raise would have been better. You have position, and you are most likely ahead preflop. So 3-bet him and if he 4-bets you, consider folding. I think it would have been better if you 3-bet him to $0.18. With 77 he would have called(probably, maybe folds). He would check flop to you most likely with his flopped set. You would have to bet the flop. If he check-raises you, take a second and THINK about what has just happened. His hand was good enough to call your reraise preflop, and he really likes this flop. If he had an overpair like TT or JJ he wouldn't really like the flop because you showed a lot of strength with your 3-bet. The only way he could like that flop would be a set. If he calls your flop bet, you can bet again on the turn or check behind. I would recommend betting because he could be calling you with a smaller overpair. IF he calls your flop and turn bet, consider checking behind on the river. If you are called down to the river this hand theres only two general possibilities. He has a smaller overpair or a set. If he only calls all the way to the river, it is more likely he has the smaller overpair. If he check-raises you on the flop or turn it is much more likely he has the set.

The way you played this hand wasn't bad, but if you took a more aggressive approach you would have an easier time maximizing your value when you run into the smaller overpair and limiting your losses when you run into an unlucky set. Worst case scenario with the aggressive approach is he does check/call you all the way to the river and then check-raises you at the very end... it is unlikely to happen though and even if he tries that you still have the option to check behind him!

Hope this helps!

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 12:24 AM
(#3)
That's what I thought so.. Just wanted to confirm with a third's opinion.. Thank you very much!!

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 12:29 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
It depends on some factors. If we're going to fold out all worse hands and only get action from better, then 3b is not good. That's mostly true against tight players. You've provided no read so we have to go generically.

With no info, I think 3b is optimal. I would expect the random 2nl player who is not playing a full stack to give us action with plenty worse. And the raise size Rocker suggests is good, it sets up a much more favorable stack to pot ratio for QQ which will make our post flop decisions easier. We could even increase the raise a tad, maybe .22c to go, as we're out of position. Something in the .18c-.22c range is good imo.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com