Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

If you know computers...HELP PLEASE!!!

Old
Unhappy
If you know computers...HELP PLEASE!!! - Tue Mar 15, 2011, 10:36 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
Some of you may already know that I've been dealing w/ a malware issue on my netbook. I run windows xp on it.
Please don't laugh at how illiterate I am w/ comps.
After I installed avast anti-virus, the pop-ups from the malware ceased. I had internet, just no browser. Now tonight I ran a system restore to a date in January to be safe. Well now in the wireless icon, where it shows your connection status and strength, it says the connection is authenticated, where usually it goes from authenticating..to connected. Like I said, I'm stuck on authenticated.
When I performed the system restore, it said that it is totally reversable..but when I bring up system restore, it opens the window...but it's blank.
I'm beat down and done for the night. If anyone can offer assistance, it is much, much appreciated. I will check back in the morning to see if anyone can help, and begin working on it again.
Even the system info window doesn't come up when I try...as I wanted to get the xp pack I'm using in case that would help anyone assisting..I want to say it's 3 maybe..maybe 5?? Just not sure.
Thanks again to anyone who can help.
Dan

Old
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 10:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I don't really know how to help you with your problem. I just wanted to note that avast is definitely good free antivirus, but it won't catch all malware (Norton, and others don't either!). Adaware and Malwarebytes have worked well for me removing malware in the past.

Maybe you could try reinstalling the drivers related to your internet (network card).

Old
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 11:28 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
dump your advast norton macafee(its all junk)

Kaspersky.2011-download.com

http://2011-download.com/kaspersky/i...rsky_us2&se=ms

Its free for 30 days and will clean your system with a stick of TNT get rid all of the nasty keylogs bugs malware and viruses and repair your system

Run this the first time in safemode and as administrator

Last edited by Eagle3947; Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 11:33 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Dan, you need to get a better virus/malware program. The free ones do not cut it, as they can sometimes cause conflicts with other programs/settings on your computer. I've had and run norton on all my computers for years. McAfee's ok too... but personally, I like Norton better.

some of my friends have run the free stuff and they've always gotten their computers messed up, because those free programs WANT the ads (which can easily contain the malware)... it's the only way they can make $$ to stay in business, since people don't pay for their products.

I agree with Rocker that you may have to re-install or re-update your drivers for your wireless, or you may have to re-update windows, thru windows updates. System restore isn't a failproof way to reset your computer, as it doesn't fix all the files associated with programs that they may change when installed.

I wish I could give you more info on it... but it's hard to do that without seeing your computer in front of me and seeing exactly what it's doing.

P.S. Before you put another virus program on your computer, go to the control panel and then to add/remove and remove the old one. Having more than 1 on your computer can cause major conflicts, that could lock-up your computer.

Last edited by JWK24; Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: add the PS

Old
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 11:48 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
Computer donk myself Dano,but since I got this laptop back in July I've run Norton on it and have had no worries. They even warned me against downloading Full Tilt (would that I had listened..............).

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 01:10 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
I'm not laughing at your illiteracy, but I despair that you appear not to have acted on the advice I forwarded

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 05:24 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Dan...if you don't have a browser then how are you posting on an online forum?

Personally I got rid of Norton and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. Haven't had a single problem and it found 2 viruses that Norton didn't.

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 05:26 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
I'm not laughing at your illiteracy, but I despair that you appear not to have acted on the advice I forwarded
Whatever it was Darkman you might have to walk him through it.

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 05:57 AM
(#9)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Dan,
I have found that the best method is to simply use the restore CD that came with the laptop. Mine will completely restore my system in about 10 minutes. Make sure you take all of your personal data off before doing it. Task manager is already set for auto updates on almost all standard software installs, so it will check in automatically with MS and download all the latest patches and security fixes. GL hope this helps

Old
it may help - Wed Mar 16, 2011, 06:35 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I am not a computer expert but have dealt with conflicts with my own computer. I would make a backup of your data to disk then totally reinstall your operating system, this should give you internet explorer and a browser back that worked and displays properly then install the free version of AVG antivirus, I have used all antivirus's from Norton, Mcafee and Bulldog and hate all of them as everyone of them failed to catch what i needed them to, infact norton caused my computer to crash because of a software conflict, that was my old computer and it wasnt able to be fixed by the engineer.

Try downloading http://www.avg.com/gb-en/download-tr..._hp_trial_1_gb
It is a 30 day free trial but u need to purchase the full version. A lot of free downloads as mentioned by others actually have something installed by which if u dont purchase the full version it puts malware onto your computer hereby makling you purchase the full program. Installing lots of free versions and never buying a full version can also lead to conflicts.

Best thing is to save all data or use a computer transfer cable if u have another computer or laptop and reinstall the operating system and then install avg and buy it eventually. Avg also allows you to check automatically for updates whenever u want and you can adjust the settings to how you want it and even schedule scans for when ur offline.

good luck i hope this helps.

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 07:56 AM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
Some of you may already know that I've been dealing w/ a malware issue on my netbook. I run windows xp on it.
Please don't laugh at how illiterate I am w/ comps.
After I installed avast anti-virus, the pop-ups from the malware ceased. I had internet, just no browser. Now tonight I ran a system restore to a date in January to be safe. Well now in the wireless icon, where it shows your connection status and strength, it says the connection is authenticated, where usually it goes from authenticating..to connected. Like I said, I'm stuck on authenticated.
When I performed the system restore, it said that it is totally reversable..but when I bring up system restore, it opens the window...but it's blank.
I'm beat down and done for the night. If anyone can offer assistance, it is much, much appreciated. I will check back in the morning to see if anyone can help, and begin working on it again.
Even the system info window doesn't come up when I try...as I wanted to get the xp pack I'm using in case that would help anyone assisting..I want to say it's 3 maybe..maybe 5?? Just not sure.
Thanks again to anyone who can help.
Dan
Hey Dan, I'm sorry you're having such issues. I would be careful about uninstalling and trying to reinstall your win xp, if you have any problems with it, microsoft charges to troubleshoot because its one of their out of date programs.

I'll admit I'm tied to the desk, and I know nothing about running wireless, but that might not be the problem. If you've uninstalled and reinstalled the same programs more than once, that can give you registry errors. Can you identify approximately when the problems started? Had you added a new program? I know your system restore is buggy, but it is possible to do a restore if you have a good date. I would try this First: start your computer and before you get to the startup screen press the F8 Function key. (If windows starts up, you didn't hit the key fast enough during startup, shut down and try again.) It will take you to a screen that says "Windows Advanced Operations Menu, Please select an option:" Arrow down to the option that says Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked) and select/enter on that line. It is possible that simple fix works for you.

It sounds as though you did the right thing trying to do a system restore. You may have to delete all cookies and browsing history if you haven't already. The long and short of it is that no matter which antivirus or spyware program you use, there are going to be flaws and things that slip through. I've had that issue a couple of times running McAfee, but it has caught it the next time the software ran its automatic update. (Some malware tries to turn off automatic firewall and updates).

Dan, if all else fails, find someone you totally trust to go in and troubleshoot using Mikogo, they can run the necessary checks and get you up and running again. But it has to be someone that you don't mind handing control of your computer to. I would offer, but my knowledge of wireless is zip. To be honest, I don't think the problem is with your wireless, but the effects are showing up there.

I had a problem January 2010 with my Win XP that was a registry error related to uninstalling and reinstalling MSOffice 2007. Took $100 and four days working with Microsoft reps in some foreign land, but got it fixed. It was worth the cash (although not the time, I was taking online classes) and their expertise, because it was a registry error that I would never have been able to fix, and no system restore helped.

Try doing the F8 function, let me know how that goes for you. Best wishes.

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 09:24 AM
(#12)
Thank you all very much. I'll be working on it today and your help is much appreciated.
Dman.. I appreciate your help from before..like Johnny said, you may have to walk me through it.
I had McAfee before installing the avast..but the wife said it expired I guess.
I will be working through each of your suggestions so again..thank you!

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 11:32 AM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphnascar View Post
Hey Dan, I'm sorry you're having such issues. I would be careful about uninstalling and trying to reinstall your win xp, if you have any problems with it, microsoft charges to troubleshoot because its one of their out of date programs.

I'll admit I'm tied to the desk, and I know nothing about running wireless, but that might not be the problem. If you've uninstalled and reinstalled the same programs more than once, that can give you registry errors. Can you identify approximately when the problems started? Had you added a new program? I know your system restore is buggy, but it is possible to do a restore if you have a good date. I would try this First: start your computer and before you get to the startup screen press the F8 Function key. (If windows starts up, you didn't hit the key fast enough during startup, shut down and try again.) It will take you to a screen that says "Windows Advanced Operations Menu, Please select an option:" Arrow down to the option that says Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked) and select/enter on that line. It is possible that simple fix works for you.

It sounds as though you did the right thing trying to do a system restore. You may have to delete all cookies and browsing history if you haven't already. The long and short of it is that no matter which antivirus or spyware program you use, there are going to be flaws and things that slip through. I've had that issue a couple of times running McAfee, but it has caught it the next time the software ran its automatic update. (Some malware tries to turn off automatic firewall and updates).

Dan, if all else fails, find someone you totally trust to go in and troubleshoot using Mikogo, they can run the necessary checks and get you up and running again. But it has to be someone that you don't mind handing control of your computer to. I would offer, but my knowledge of wireless is zip. To be honest, I don't think the problem is with your wireless, but the effects are showing up there.

I had a problem January 2010 with my Win XP that was a registry error related to uninstalling and reinstalling MSOffice 2007. Took $100 and four days working with Microsoft reps in some foreign land, but got it fixed. It was worth the cash (although not the time, I was taking online classes) and their expertise, because it was a registry error that I would never have been able to fix, and no system restore helped.

Try doing the F8 function, let me know how that goes for you. Best wishes.
This started when, and I'm definitely not sure it's the cause, and I'm sure not blaming Mike, but Rock got me an alien avatar to use in the forum. He instructed me to use image shack to download it into the forum. When I had reviewed a few, and he uses one too, I chose a couple and after dloading image shack, I attempted to dload the image and use it. And bam, that's when it happened.
I don't have an option for F8 at start up, just F2 for setup and F12 for boot options. These appear on the Dell startup screen. I've tried numerous times to hit F8 and nothing happens, but the other 2 work. (2 and 12).

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 11:35 AM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Now I remember..I had no internet browser when you sent me the info, so I couldn't use your link on that computer.

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 11:45 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Download the programs shown in the link on another computer and save them to a USB flash drive. Then use that to install them on your own machine.

It's nowhere near as intimidating as it might look. Let us know how you get on.

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 08:50 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
I've been the goto guy for computers by my friends and family for over 15 years.

That seems to be a problem in the OS itself rather than third party software. It may be something as simple as your wireless settings..

First thing to check is whether it's the wireless or not. Run an ethernet cable directly between your netbook and modem. If this solves the problem then it's most likely the wireless settings. Unplug the ethernet cable.

Is it password protected (it should be) and do the authentication measures match?
type in 192.168.1.1 into a browser window, hit enter. This will bring up the router window. Under the tabs there will be areas to set the password (reset it) and set the security and authentication mode (WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK is best).

Then goto Start>Settings>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center >Set up a connection or network and go through the steps to set up a wireless connection.

If it's corrupt or bad settings within the OS the easiest way to fix it is with a repair. reinstall. I've done it on dozens of computers without a problem. It will fix underlying problems without changing or deleting anything on your computer.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 11:52 PM
(#17)
Easiest Solution Is Get New For Old Home Contents Insurance, And Accidently Drop It On The Floor, Blame The Kids, Get A New One. or Restore Back To Factory Condition And It Clears Everything,Don`t Download Anything And Like AceKing61 Says,Use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Old
Thu Mar 17, 2011, 12:44 AM
(#18)
BronzeStar
MSE is no defence against the malware that infected Dan's machine. Fact.

Get a dedicated anti-malware program installed or at some point you are likely to suffer the same problem.

Old
fixing computers - Thu Mar 17, 2011, 03:13 AM
(#19)
Since: Nov 2010
Dan,

you have gotten a lot of great advice here however you yourself stated you are computer illiterate so I will put this into perspective. Do you fix your own teeth? repair the electronic computer system on your car? do you cut your own hair? enough said - take it to someone who knows what they are doing, it will cost you some money however you will save yourself a a ton of grief and headache.
Best of luck
cheers
The Hamster

Old
Thu Mar 17, 2011, 03:43 AM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNHamster View Post
Dan,

you have gotten a lot of great advice here however you yourself stated you are computer illiterate so I will put this into perspective. Do you fix your own teeth? repair the electronic computer system on your car? do you cut your own hair? enough said - take it to someone who knows what they are doing, it will cost you some money however you will save yourself a a ton of grief and headache.
Best of luck
cheers
The Hamster
I disagree, with straightforward instructions anyone can fix common problems on their own computers.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com