Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Note taking

Old
Note taking - Wed Mar 16, 2011, 02:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
WhiteStar
Hey everyone tryin to keep my head on straight after the four outs with AA AA QQ 1010..All was bad beats but I need to really take a look at the hands and see what I can do different..But it is hard not to put the chips in when you have the best hand..But to the topic...I want to start noting good from bad players so I dont have to keep looking people up on the leaderbaord..But can this open you up for more bad bea or beats period from the donks..Or open you up for getting bluffed out of more pots from the good players? Would like any suggestions or thoughts anyone may have.

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 02:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I don't think that good players bluff that liberally in the league. I might be wrong, but I think they're generally nits.

Just because bluffing can blow up in your face, and you can't really stand any blowups in a league game, bluffing isn't the first thing to worry about. Focusing on making good decisions is probably the best thing. Taking notes is good, but in the league it's probably not as important as just understanding how to play, and how the league works.

Old
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 03:56 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J257 View Post
Hey everyone tryin to keep my head on straight after the four outs with AA AA QQ 1010..All was bad beats but I need to really take a look at the hands and see what I can do different..But it is hard not to put the chips in when you have the best hand..But to the topic...I want to start noting good from bad players so I dont have to keep looking people up on the leaderbaord..But can this open you up for more bad bea or beats period from the donks..Or open you up for getting bluffed out of more pots from the good players? Would like any suggestions or thoughts anyone may have.

Look obviously you are'nt getting away from AA pre-flop under almost any circumstances and you will be hard pressed to let QQ go most times as well. 1010 can be a little different,but bluffing/not bluffing is'nt really what you should be after here. You won't see much of it from good players in the League (almost never before 1st break) and the ATC shove monkeys are'nt bluffing,they really do play that shit.

What you should be looking to note are how many times does a player enter a pot,is it with a raise or a limp,if a raise do they keep firing barrels after the flop-----these can give you a better idea of the range of starting hands a player is likely to be on and will give you much better information to go ahead and make your play,pre or post flop. Knowing their range can help you discren how strong their hand may or may not be following a flop according to the board texture.
Pay attention to how they play from certain positions and any betting patterns they may show. There's truly a whole range of information that players will give you if you look for it. And keep in mind always the image that YOU are projecting at the table and how players may be reacting to you.

Come up with a color coding system that works for you and be diligent in your note taking.

Good luck.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com