Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Starting hands

Old
Starting hands - Fri Mar 18, 2011, 06:11 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
Hi guys.
I don't want this to sound like a whine, because it isn't.
When I started playing I was enjoying reasonable success until I started learning how to play. Now that I understand some of the basics the wins have dried up
But the reason I am posting is this, for the last couple of weeks I have been plagued with what I think are unreasonable runs of bad starting hands. This list is three recent sessions and I was wondering what you experienced guys think. Is it just a matter of knuckling down until the tide turns as it were? I don't expect monster hands every session, but it would be nice to be able to raise occasionally knowing that I have at least a little chance of winning. I do manage to win some of these hands, but you can't bluff very often and expect to win at my level.
[7 s][6 d]
[4 c][A c]
[5 c][2 c]
[J s][7 c]
[3 s][T c]
[Q h][9 h]
[K c][A h]
[8 h][7 s]
[9 h][7 d]
[5 s][5 h]
[A h][3 d]
[6 s][9 h]
[3 d][6 s]
[4 h][3 c]
[K c][A d]
[8 s][K h]
[9 h][4 c]
[8 s][2 s]
[8 s][6 h]
[J h][9 c]

[8 c][6 s]
[A h][8 d]
[Q s][4 c]
[T c][8 s]
[J c][6 h]
[5 h][8 h]
[9 c][J c]
[Q d][5 d]
[8 d][A h]
[5 c][3 d]
[T c][A d]
[K c][Q h]
[7 c][A h]
[6 c][T h]
[5 d][T c]
[A h][K d]
[Q h][7 d]
[K c][9 c]
[K c][6 c]
[5 d][6 s]

[J h][8 s]
[3 c][7 c]
[8 h][2 s]
[8 s][7 d]
[Q c][A d]
[9 s][J d]
[3 s][K c]
[3 c][Q c]
[6 h][J s]
[J c][4 h]
[J c][5 s]
[J h][7 s]
[3 c][6 h]
[2 h][Q s]
[5 d][3 h]
[T d][7 s]
[J s][5 d]
[A h][3 d]
[2 s][9 s]
[5 s][7 s]
[Q c][7 d]

Or is this just what I should be expecting to see on a regular basis and just need to learn how to play them better?

Thanks for taking time to look.
Gabe

Old
Fri Mar 18, 2011, 09:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Such streaks happen if you're playing a lot of games. Can remember streaks of over a hundred hands where I couldn't play even one. Got blinded out of many a game. You have the right idea, keep playing for your opportunities. Get a good hand, play it hard.

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:16 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
I definitely notice there are times when I catch hands quite often and other times i play for hours and little comes my way in the form of playable hands. All you can do is ride it out because the law of averages says things should turn your way sooner or later.

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 01:40 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
AK is not a raising hand for u?

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 01:42 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
don't like KQ, Q9s, or AT either? some of these hands are playable in the right spots.

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
(#6)
Since: Mar 2011
WhiteStar
Q9 and AT are hands that work with postion and no raise comming to you. I wouldn't call an all in with one.

Mogris

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 01:55 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
ive gotten a lot worse before.
in 60 hands u did get ak 3x, aq, kq. also seeing the flop w/ the 55 and 2 connectors might have been worth it.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com