Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Poker Stove

Old
Poker Stove - Sat Mar 19, 2011, 10:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hello everyone

Having not used it too much, could I use Pokerstove to calculate such probabilities as, say, your two suited cards hitting a flush draw on the flop. I'm really interested in these types of flop stats but can't find reliable info. I thought that I would make a learning experience out of it and try to run it in Pokerstove, that is if anyone can help me figure it out!

Thanks
Tom

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 11:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Tom,

Yes you can use PokerStove to work out these odds.

You have to type in the following information:

1) Your Hand
2) Your opponents hand or range of hands
3) the flop

Then click Evaluate to see the odds.

In my example we have A9s vs our opponents KTo
flop is Ts 7s 4h

This gives us a 45% chance to beat our opponents Top pair by hitting a flush or an Ace.

See screen shot here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/455128199/PStove.JPG

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 10:24 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Thanks for this Delliks, but I already knew PokerStove could do this. What i needed was the step before that - so for instance if you have A9s, how many times both an A and a 9 hit the flop. Or even how many times two hearts hit the flop.

Like I say, I keep finding conflicting stats about this sort of thing and thought it would be nice to crunch my own numbers rather than basing my decisions on possibly inaccurate information.

Thanks
Tom

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 01:30 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Pokerstove won't do it.

http://www.tworags.com/index.php?ACT...odo=view&ID=78

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 03:00 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
No...I didn't think it would but I wondered if there was a way that I didn't know of. Thanks anyway!

Ah I have that link bookmarked :-) It just showed different figures to another site I was looking at, but now I cant find.

Do you think that I can use these figures in the same way I would for flopping a set? (ie 8-1, and looking to earn more with implied odds) Or is there a different way to treat, for example, hitting two pair on the flop?

Last edited by tomrankin51; Thu Mar 31, 2011 at 03:04 PM..

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 01:33 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrankin51 View Post
Do you think that I can use these figures in the same way I would for flopping a set? (ie 8-1, and looking to earn more with implied odds) Or is there a different way to treat, for example, hitting two pair on the flop?
According to the chart, the odds of flopping 2 pair starting with unpaired hole cards and hitting both to the flop, is 48.5-1 against. And of course that has even less chance of holding up than a set, so with implied odds I'll say you need 80-1.

Hopefully you can see that this silly (but truthful) response is no. Technically it's yeah, sure, if it has practical application. In the case of these longshots it usually will not.

Old
Sun Apr 03, 2011, 06:10 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Thanks Dave, I did know that you'll be relieved to know!

Though, this brings up another question to address....

Take for example playing K9o on the button. Substitute any similar hand (ie. KT, AJ - big, high gappers). Whether you play this hand or not is irrelevant - some do, and in some instances you may have to if running a little dry.

What are you actually looking to achieve with these sorts of hands? Lets take K9o. As we've already said, you wouldn't look to flop two pair because it's such a longshot. You wouldn't look to flop trips because you would never get paid off, same with a straight. No flush either given that it's offsuit (if it's suited I see the value in looking to flop a flush draw).

So this means you look to play for only a pair. A pair of Kings? Well...no. What if you flop the King? Your opponent(s) may have KT, KJ, KQ, AK (and I'm disregarding any sets, but yes they could be out there too). So you would look to flop a 9 giving you a weak pair second kicker.

But wait! What if the flop has higher cards than a 9.....?

So, answering my own question in the hope it provokes more response, with hands like K9o you look to flop top pair with your lower card, with second kicker...which sounds very unlikely too....

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com