Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Racial Abuse in PSO

Old
Racial Abuse in PSO - Sat Mar 19, 2011, 02:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
Earlier today in PSO after sharing a table with a member of this Community who I respect I decided to follow their progress by observing their subsequent tables.

Whilst I was following their progress I was party to observing overt racist comments aimed at this member to which a Moderator was called and judging by the cessation of chat from the offender I assume that an immediate chat ban was enforced.

As an observer I do not have access to chat logs and cannot therefore submit them for further review by PS or PSO.

I would like to think however that in such instances the Moderator called will immediately submit such offences and that this be followed by further action which at minimum be a lengthy suspension if not a permanent ban.

Whilst I understand that the Staff here at PSO cannot speak for PS in general I wondered what the PSO stance on racial abuse is and whether reporting it without corroborating evidence would be valid?

Old
Sat Mar 19, 2011, 03:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
PSO forum moderators have no authority to act on actions taken by PSO members at any table in the PS client. The PS chat moderators are responsible for policing the chat in the client while forum moderators are responsible only for the PSO forum.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you.

Old
Sat Mar 19, 2011, 03:15 PM
(#3)
I fully understand your limitations as Forum Moderators Joe, thats why my question was aimed higher at the Staff who apply, control and enforce the rules at PSO.

Old
Sat Mar 19, 2011, 03:29 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
In that case I recommend that you send a PM to PSO-Staff with your question.

Old
Sat Mar 19, 2011, 03:53 PM
(#5)
So the offence doesn't automatically get referred, it is up to individuals to make a complaint?

Old
Sat Mar 19, 2011, 04:29 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Totally ridiculous! The guilty party should be perma banned from all activities at PokerStars....IMO! This is 2011 for God's sake!

Old
Sat Mar 19, 2011, 04:59 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
for the longest time i hated purple people...Barny, Captian Planet, and even Grimis was not aloud to come over , i had to get over my hate for the color purple , and take the hit off i had on the artist formally known as Prince........but if that doesnt make sense neither does racism ....lets gets some neopoltian ice cream and enjoy all the colors ...."may the flop be with you " FD1

Old
Sat Mar 19, 2011, 05:13 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
i didn't get to witness this but after hearing of the severity of the remarks that were made i would like to think that the pso staff could revoke this members skill league ticket for the comments he made to another pso member

being that it is a pso event i think this is where staff could step up and show that this type of behavior will not be tolerated

Old
Sat Mar 19, 2011, 10:04 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is about me. If so................

I appreciate your concern, but this sort of thing is commonplace and quite frankly water off a ducks back. I think I've said before that although it's a rare occurance in PSO, I experience this sort of thing almost every week. It really isn't a problem. If the person could see you were fat, that is what they would call you. If they could see you were disabled, you'd be called a crip. If they thought or could see you were female, you would receive abuse which I won't state here. In all cases, what it shows is that the person is either on tilt or trying to put you in that state. If it's the former, great. If it's the latter, well I'm afraid it just doesn't work.

There are things that rub me up the wrong way, as any regular forum reader will probably have seen. But this isn't one of them.

Once again. Thanks for your concern, but chill. It looks like it's upsetting you far more than me

Old
Sat Mar 19, 2011, 10:52 PM
(#10)
we're glad that you can let it go dark and yes it is about you
we talked about how well you handled it and admit that we couldn't have done the same
this is no reason to let this type of classless behavior slide though
it shouldn't have to be tolerated by anyone regardless if it's about race color size gender or whatever it's just plain wrong

since it concerned you i would leave it in your hands but we are saying we would never take that and let him go free for it

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 11:42 AM
(#11)
Since: Apr 2010
What a class act D'man is
The same can't be said of me lol
I got a months chat ban for replying in words of one syllable
so the racist could understand me

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 11:57 AM
(#12)
Yep, knew the Dman was big enough and wise enough to rise above it and he's probably correct in that it has offended me more than him.

I just don't see that sort of behaviour has any place here or anywhere and if PS do nothing more than impose a few days of chat ban it is in my opinion by implication tacit acceptance and tolerance of what is no longer acceptable within a wider civilised society.

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 12:24 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8998 View Post
What a class act D'man is
The same can't be said of me lol
I got a months chat ban for replying in words of one syllable
so the racist could understand me
Spike, you leaving our league was very hurtful to myself and the members. It was a gross betrayal and I demand an explanation.

Also, I too am offended by these sorts of offensive remarks. I believe all should be civil at the tables.

*Back to retirement like Brett Favre*

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 05:46 PM
(#14)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is about me. If so................

I appreciate your concern, but this sort of thing is commonplace and quite frankly water off a ducks back. I think I've said before that although it's a rare occurance in PSO, I experience this sort of thing almost every week. It really isn't a problem. If the person could see you were fat, that is what they would call you. If they could see you were disabled, you'd be called a crip. If they thought or could see you were female, you would receive abuse which I won't state here. In all cases, what it shows is that the person is either on tilt or trying to put you in that state. If it's the former, great. If it's the latter, well I'm afraid it just doesn't work.

There are things that rub me up the wrong way, as any regular forum reader will probably have seen. But this isn't one of them.

Once again. Thanks for your concern, but chill. It looks like it's upsetting you far more than me
Chit if someone calls me Darkman61, I'm going to blow a gasket. Just fair warning.
Class Act D man. Sorry to see it. But, I would have needle'd him just for fun. I would have done the asian routine.

Wat? Wat? wat u say? I no understan, no understan. Bak Gwai, I no understan. Dew Nah Lo Mo Hai to you and your XXXXXXX, is wat i would have says. -shark AN THEN, AN THEN.

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 07:03 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresBruno View Post
Spike, you leaving our league was very hurtful to myself and the members. It was a gross betrayal and I demand an explanation.

Also, I too am offended by these sorts of offensive remarks. I believe all should be civil at the tables.

*Back to retirement like Brett Favre*
You DEMANDan explanation !
What gives you this right
You have a club
I left
Build a bridge
Get over it

spike

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 07:27 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8998 View Post
You DEMANDan explanation !
What gives you this right
You have a club
I left
Build a bridge
Get over it

spike
You are being mean to me and it ain't right!!! Did nothing to you. You must believe lies.

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 07:53 PM
(#17)
Quote:
You are being mean to me and it ain't right!!! Did nothing to you. You must believe lies.

No I don't believe lies or hear say

But I do have an opinion , which I'm keeping to myself

Enough said

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 07:53 PM
(#18)
Quote:

do you mean like "I'm leaving the forum"?

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 07:56 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
I said I was going into semi-retirement.

like I said, I am like Brett Favre.

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 07:58 PM
(#20)
Quote:
I said I was going into semi-retirement.

like I said, I am like Brett Favre.
really i don't care
but if you want to trade spats with someone start your own thread
i know you know how

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com