Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

A matter of perspective

Old
A matter of perspective - Sat Mar 19, 2011, 03:20 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
I'm in the middle of a bad beat from heck right now. I started out on PS about 3 months ago and grew my bankroll from 25$ to almost 100, then something happened in mid- February and all of a sudden I can't win anything - I have high two pair and I get beat by a low set on the river. I have the king and queen of a suit that gets me a flush on the turn, there's a fourth card on the river that gives the money to the ace. I'm probably playing something like 5% of my hands and I'm losing that 5%. I've dropped from almost 100 dollars to about 40, so I dropped all the way down to the .01/.02 tables and I've decided to use my time practicing putting my opponents on ranges, which I feel I can't do very well.

So I decided to spec the big money tables and see if i could figure out hands as these platinum stars and supernovas play, and I watched something that made me not feel so bad. I watched a guy push to the betting cap (120$) blind and get called on both hands. First hand, he turned over 8d8s and his opponent had KQh. Flop is nothing, turn is a king, river gives the pusher an ace-high flush.

Very next hand, he's still crazy early, pushes to cap, called by BB. Pusher turns over 88 and the caller turns over AQo. Flop is nothing, turn is nothing, river puts a pair of nines on the board and the pusher wins with 8s and 9s.

That guy just won 240$ on 88, and those guys with AQ and KQ lost 120$ a piece. That was sobering to me. Luck is ridiculous.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com