Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

suited connectors

Old
suited connectors - Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Hello
I am not so much interested in the outcome of this hand, as whether this is a good spot to play suited connectors with regard to my position/stack size and limpers ahead of me.
Should I have raised here or was limping ok?

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
way too early to play low suited connectors... auto muck for me.

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 10:05 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to learn these lessons and improve my game as cheaply as possible and I appreciate it when players who have a better understanding of the game are willing to help me out.

Any bet postflop would've put me off this hand for sure.

So low suited connectors are better played later in a tourney...

If it was later in the tourney, is this a good position/situation to play them in?
And if I was to decide to play them, raise them? Or is limping ok?

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 11:45 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckldgator View Post
So low suited connectors are better played later in a tourney...
No,

This is absolutely fine. You're almost 100 bb's deep in a limped multi-way pot with position. It's the quintessential spot to speculate. In position, deep stacked, dirt cheap entry relative to the stacks. These are spots you should be taking early in the interest of trying to accumulate chips.

Later in a tourney when the stacks get shallow is not the time to burn chips limping this stuff, you can no longer afford speculation then.

Old
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 11:56 PM
(#5)
Great spot to play suited connectors. When I play them I want to see the flop cheap, be in position, and have a few people in the pot with me. Which is exactly what you had in this hand. Good play.

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 08:27 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Thanks for the input.

:-)

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 08:21 AM
(#7)
PapiW
(PapiW)
BronzeStar
Definately right time to play suited connectors.

pre-flop Connectors will win a pot ~20% of the time, so anytime you can get pot odds around 5:1 it's an easy call from that position. From there, you need to look @ implied odds if you do hit to decide if it will be profitable to call with 3 or 4:1 odds. With deep stacks, easy call into an unopened pot.

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:49 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
way too early to play low suited connectors... auto muck for me.
No reason you HAVE to play 'em, especially if any of the limpers are "pounder" type C-Bettors whose post flop bets will tend to price you off drawing hands...

BUT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
No,

This is absolutely fine. You're almost 100 bb's deep in a limped multi-way pot with position. It's the quintessential spot to speculate. In position, deep stacked, dirt cheap entry relative to the stacks. These are spots you should be taking early in the interest of trying to accumulate chips.

Later in a tourney when the stacks get shallow is not the time to burn chips limping this stuff, you can no longer afford speculation then.
This is the PERFECT way to play 'em!

Remember above when I said "pounder bettors" are bad for your draws? as dave states, later in the tourney you have a LOT more stacks willing to committ on ANY top pair hit. Waiting 'til latter means you tend to find a lot more "shoves" into your draws, as well as a lot more "aggressive" betting lines determined to chip up that rarely let you go past the turn on draws. Reserving your spec plays for the early stages with hands that will likely flop draws as most of their "value" means your decisions aren;t for your entire stack, and are easier pot odds/implied odds decisions.

Later on, it will tend to be a LOT harder to paly these draws unless oyu can do so AGRESSIVELY yourself, and semi-bluff bet people off pots.

Semi-bluffing off a guy who has 1/3rd his stack in on a raise is pretty hard to do!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com